**Reel Slots** Gaming Machines > IGT S and S-plus Reel Games

IGT S+ Coin lockout coil power

(1/2) > >>

Bruce G:
Hi Friends - I've run into an issue with an S+ that a friend gave me to get running for him.  I just today noticed that the coin lock wasn't working at all.  I check the coil and it's open.  Then I tested the AC supply to the coin lockout coil, and it's always on.  I connected a 28V lamp to the supply for the coil - so I could see if there was any flicker when coins pass the through the coin detector / comparer.    Solid lamp all the time.  I pulled the CPU back out to find Q16, Q17, Q18 all have low resistance across Input 1 and the gate.  There are MAC3030 thyristors.  Q 16: 39 Ohms,  Q17 58 Ohms, Q 18  67 Ohms.  None appear fully shorted, and testing thyristors has always been sort of a guessing game for me.  I'm curious if anyone here has feedback on this issue.  I didn't want to cut one off the board if it isn't necessary.  These aren't expensive , so I can order some to see if new ones make any difference.  But I was hopeful someone here would / could shed light before I go that route.  Thanks! 

Stayouttadabunker:
oh boy....terminology is a little off. :arrowthruhead:

Show us a picture of this "coin lock" please? :Take_a_Photo:
I have NO IDEA what you're referring to?  :scratch-head_3: :scratch-head_2:
THAT is a new one to me.  :rotfl:

Bruce G:
Coin lockout coil. 

Tilt:
There isn't a coin lockout coil on a S+.  Maybe you're referring to the coin diverter coil?  That coil diverts the coin to the overflow tube when the hopper is full.

Bruce G:
Thank you Tilt.  My mistake.  Yes it's the diverter coil.  Let me start over again. 

This is a triple diamond form the 1990s, and it is an S+ machine.  My friend bought it at a yard sale and asked me to fix it for him.  I have 35 years experience servicing jukeboxes.  I have been pressed into working on slots because there aren't any local repairmen left around here where I live.  So please bear with my ignorance or lack of terminology regarding slots.  I'm trying. 

Anyhow.  I replaced the battery, cleared the 61 code and the machine is working and paying out as it should.  This machine has a single payout line.  Max bet is 2 coins.  if a 3rd coin is dropped, it passes directly into the hopper.  There is no credit chime, since I'm guessing the extra ( 3rd ) coin should be sent out to the payout tray.  I incorrectly thought the diverter solenoid did this.  I see no apparatus in the coin path that would reject a 3rd coin.  My suspicion is that the coin handling components were missing from the machine and that someone replaced them with the wrong components?  There is a price of $50written on the frame that holds the the slug rejector - suggesting that it was purchased later and installed.  I also see where perhaps a 2nd solenoid and cam could have been mounted next to the diverter solenoid.  Maybe this is what is missing?  I'm including a photo of the coin detector.  It's different than the ones I'm used to seeing from these machines.  It does not hold a coin captive in it, like the others I have seen. 

Anyway - the thing works ok except for the extra coin thing.  I'm inclined just to give it back to him as - is.  I'm tired of looking at it.  I am curious though, as to why the extra coins aren't being returned. 

Thanks for your help. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version