Progressive Controllers and Displays > Mikohn Progressive Systems

FINALLY! Step-by-step HOWTO make PE+ on-screen progressive

(1/4) > >>

qbert:
Original post by 4 Deuces Feb 4 2012. transfer to new site March 7 2014.:

Here are my step-by-step instructions for absolute beginners like me (although  I think I've graduated to "Amateur Slot Enthusiast" or "ASE" - hey, that's pronounced ACE!).

This will be a multi-part post.  Hope you find these instructions helpful!

4000 credits and Karma to Jay, Stayouttadabunker, Knaql, Foster, and Captain Happy for their help, expertise and cheers!

And bonus credits to all the other contributors from posts that I learned from.

Overview of how a progressive works

Basically, your PE+ can’t control a progressive jackpot by itself.  It needs another board to keep track of the progressive jackpot.  This is called a Controller and essentially “controls” the jackpot by keeping track of all the coins going in and incrementing the jackpot.  How quickly the jackpot grows depends on how you configure the Controller.  You configure the Controller using software.  So, these step-by-step instructions are going to show you how to add a Controller to your PE+ in order to add a progressive jackpot.

Summary of Steps

* Step 1 - plan what you want (on-screen, external meter or both)
* Step 2 - get the parts (hardware, software, cables, power, manuals, etc.)
* Step 3 - put it all together

qbert:

Step 1 - plan what you want (on-screen, external meter or both)

This topic is specifically for displaying a single progressive jackpot amount on the screen for an upright video poker IGT PE+ machine.  It's possible that these steps would be very similar for slant top, S+ and other IGT machines.  For this example, I am using a 5-game video poker machine (Jacks or Better, Bonus Poker, Deuces Wild, Bonus Poker Deluxe, and Double Bonus).  All five games share the same single progressive jackpot.

To display the progressive jackpot on an external meter, you'll have to read another topic.  I don't know how to do that, but there is some great advice on this site!    

Plan for space, not only for working on this project for more than a week, but within or near your slot machine as well.  You’re going to be hooking up a new circuit board in the slot machine if there’s room or outside the slot machine, so you’ll need space in and around the machine.  You’re also looking at an additional plug or two depending on your configuration, so you’ll need appropriate power outlets (surge protector is always recommended).

Overall, I spent about $100 in parts and 40 hours over 3 weeks in my first attempt to get this working, so plan for the costs, time and patience (beer helps too!).  This should be a fun project, regardless of the outcome, right?

qbert:
Original post by 4 Deuces Feb 4 2012. transfer to new site March 7 2014

Step 2 - get the parts (hardware, software, cables, power, etc.)

Parts # 1 - Controller board (and optional Gateway)

First of all, you need a Controller board.  A Controller is a circuit board that "controls" the progressive amount by incrementing the amount every time a coin (or bill, token, etc.) is inserted into the machine.  Using software on your computer, you set an incremental value so you can control how fast the jackpot rises (e.g., rise $0.01 for every $1.00 in).

[EDIT - correcting CON1 definitions]
There are a few Controllers you can use to achieve a progressive jackpot on the screen.  The less expensive approach is to buy a cheaper Controller called a CON1 from Mikohn that ranges anywhere from $15-$60 (depending on age, condition and casing).  Buying the cheaper Controller means you also have to buy another board called a Gateway (also about $15-$60) to display the amount on the screen.  The Gateway is another circuit board that translates the message from the CON1 to a format that is compatible with IGT’s on-screen display.  I personally used a CON1f with a Gateway v2.2.

Or, you can spend more money and buy only one Controller called a Mikohn CON2i that is capable of displaying the progressive jackpot back to the screen without the need of an additional Gateway board.

There are 4 types of a CON1:  CON1, CON1i, CON1f, and CON1s
i = a Gateway is required
f = fiber optic capabilities
s = stand-alone model

There are 4 types of a CON2: Type A, Type AF, Type I and Type IF.
According to other posts, only a CON2i will work with IGT.
[end EDIT]

All take a 12V power supply.  It’s best when they’re included with the boards, but if not, you can pick one up at your local Radio Shack or Walmart.  You just need to make sure the plugs fit in the power slot.  Personally, I found several 12V AC adaptors in my home that were not being used that happen to fit, so I used those.

NOTE: These are circuit boards, so take precautionary care to avoid static electricity.   

Where to buy a Contoller and Gateway and 12V power supplies:

NewLifeGames Classifieds - post a "want to buy (WTB)" at http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php/board,4.0.html

eBay - search for "CON1", "CON2i", "Mikohn + Gateway", etc.

Rudy's Deals at http://rudysdeals.com/

Other sites listed at the home page of NewLifeGames.net

qbert:

Parts # 2 - PSP Software

Now that you have a Controller, you’ll need to program it with your computer using software called, Progressive System Programmer (PSP) software version 2.0 by Mikohn P.N. 950-051-00 .  You will also need a cable to connect from your Controller to your computer plus a manual on how to setup.  The cable and manual are described in Step 2, Parts # 3 and Parts # 4.  I cover some of the software setup in Step 3.

This is old MS-DOS based software that runs in a MS-DOS command prompt Window and uses a RS-232 DB-9 connection on the back of your PC.  Therefore, you’re going to want a PC that can run MS-DOS based programs (preferably an older PC you have around).  Also, make sure on the back of the PC you have a DB-9 input line.  It looks like a VGA monitor plug (not DVI or HDMI) except it only has 9 pins in it.  The cable has to be modified (spliced), which is covered in Step 2, Parts # 4.

Where to buy PSP v2.0 Software by Mikohn:

You can try NewLifeGames User Request Boards at http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=23.0

Google searches for PSP typically return Sony Playstation, so searching “950-051-00” or “Mikohn Progressive System Programmer 2.0” may be more effective.

qbert:

Parts # 3 - Manuals

This project is nearly impossible without manuals or you’ll be posting a lot of questions. Although I’ll cover the necessary configuration needed for an upright IGT PE+, I would recommend the following:

* CON1 Progressive Jackpot System P.N. 990-000-00 (if you bought a CON1)
* CON2 P.N. 990-010-00 (if you bought a CON2i)
* Progressive System Programmer Software (PSP) Version 2.0 Technical Manual P.N. 950-051-00
* Mikohn Technician’s Pocket Guide P.N. 990-241-39/REVB
A couple of optional manuals that are good to have are:

* Player’s Edge Plus (PE+) Motherboard Assembly Diagram
* Player’s Edge Plus (PE+) Motherboard Schematic Diagram
Where to buy manuals:

You can try NewLifeGames User Request Boards at http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=23.0

NewLifeGames Classifieds - post a "want to buy (WTB)" at http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php/board,4.0.html

eBay - search for "CON1 manual", "CON2i manual", etc.

Rudy's Deals at http://rudysdeals.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version