General NLG Chat > General Chat, Slot Shop **Tech Talk** Welcome wagon and other stuff. (Off-Topic Post Welcome)

220 VOLTAGES - US vs Europe??

(1/4) > >>

GOS:
what is the difference in 220v between us and europe?  the Europe power cords have 2 "pins"  our US cords are a massive 3 prong which are most likely designed that way to prevent plugging into a 110 socket.  REASON I ASK - I have machines that were operated in europe and have the 2 pin connections - and would like to add US 220v plug and access US 220v. 

qbert:
The major difference is number of cycles.
Most European power is 50 cycles. In the US we use 60 cycles. This is why you can not just change a plug and expect your device to work. (Incandescent lights won't be affected but motors and electronics will burn up) So aside from the correct voltage you must also make sure the cycles (or Hertz) match.

cowboygames:
They do US 220 in a plug similar to 110. The prongs, at least one, will be horizontal instead of vertical. And qbert is absolutely correct on the cycles. European will likely be 50hz

GOS:
Is there a way of measuring 50 cycle?   i have a neighbor who has a generator for 220v he uses for his machinery from germany - (motors) -  would like to try one of my games to see if they run on the 220v 50 he has without destroying something.

Tilt:
Some multimeters have a frequency measurement function.  The generator should have a data plate somewhere on it indicating it's output voltage and frequency as well.  What type of machine do you have?  Some have switching power supplies that are capable of operating 110 - 230 50/60 hz.  If that's the case you may just need a different power cord.  Be careful though, if you aren't sure what you're doing or connect the machine to an incompatible power source it may  :burningresistor:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version