New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: DBV-200 on S+ Not Accepting Bills - Solved, with description, references, more  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Jeremy New User has no influence.
 Like others here, I ran into an issue with the bill acceptor on my machine not accepting bills. I found a lot of questions, tips, and suggestions from very helpful people this site, but it took me a while to find something that matched the problem that I had. Ultimately, the answer was here, and I am grateful for it. Along the way I learned a few things, so I decided to summarize everything here in the hopes it can help others. I’m not an expert, so this is written with other non-experts in mind.
I have a JCM DBV-200 (version 2.12-04-02) inside of an IGT S+ with 25-cent denomination. The bill acceptor had been intermittent for years (gears spun on powerup, bezel did not light, and no response when inserting bills), but it did not get much use and its unavailability did not cause any major issues. However, after the game sat idle for a while, it needed a battery replacement. Afterward, I decided to work on the bill acceptor.
Based on previous experience, I had always assumed there was a loose connection or broken wire – it worked intermittently, then didn’t. Jiggling a few things here and there seemed to work often enough that I wasn’t too concerned.
After replacing the battery, the machine worked fine, but with no change in its condition, I was concerned that the DBV would need some programming help. A little more jiggling got the unit to accept a few bills and apply credits, so I knew it was still operational. That lasted only a day.
After looking through a few posts here, I was able to rule a few things out. The bill acceptor was enabled: self test page 0, option 9 (Bill Acceptor Enable/Disable) set to 1 (Enable). Denomination is set for 25: self test page 6. Maximum hopper pay and bill acceptor credit limit set to 1000: self test page 7. Credits were low enough to be under those limits. This post, among others, was a good reference and baseline for my initial troubleshooting: http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=14461.0. A good summary is also available at http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/dbv.htm.

Since my suspicion was focused on a loose connection, I started looking at the wiring. The cable that seemed to help the most in my jiggling was the 4-pin connector on the right front of the acceptor. Tracing that lead to sensors on either side of the cash box, which looked promising. This post helped a bit: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=768.0. However, despite many posts talking about the sensors and optics, there was little detail about what was being sensed or optic-ed. Complicating this was the fact that on my machine, the cash box door sensor was jumpered out, and the cherry switch on the back of the housing that would detect when the cash box is removed was disconnected.
A test with my multimeter on the wiring for the optical sensors found no issues, but I was troubled by one other finding. When the cash box is removed, the gears are supposed to turn when they recognize that the box is gone (and again when it is inserted). This, also, was intermittent. They usually moved, but occasionally they wouldn’t.

A few posts suggested verifying the lamps on the bill acceptor bezel. I knew that this wasn’t simply an issue of lights being burned out, since I had already tried inserting a bill. The suggestions to try swapping the bill acceptor bezel lamps with the denomination lamp were a nice tip, and a good thing to file away for future use (plus, I verified that the lamps were fine). What intrigued me was that the bill acceptor bezel lamp test in the Output Tests (self test page 2, option 26) was not available to me. I didn’t catch this right away, since that option is not listed in the Output Tests section of the Liberty Belle Books manual for the S+. When I went through the options, it just skipped past 26. If I hadn’t already verified that the bill acceptor was enabled and occasionally worked, this would have concerned me more.
What really helped me nail down where the problem was hiding was something I stumbled on in a Program Summary Report. Although it wasn’t the PSR for my chip, it was similar enough to point me in the right direction. The option for Bill Acceptor Tilt Mode Selection (self test page 0, option 16) caught my eye, so I changed it from 0 (No Tilt) to 1 (Soft Tilt). That’s when I noticed changes.

Once the game reset, there was a flashing service light on the candle that stayed on during play. By itself, that didn’t tell me anything other than to suggest that I had a bill acceptor problem – but the evidence of that was already overwhelming. The next time I opened the door, my jaw actually dropped a little – there was a now tilt code displayed on the Winner Paid display. It was 99-2 (Cash box removed), which was not on most lists of tilt codes that I had seen: lists that I found only showed through code 62 or so. I’ve since found more comprehensive lists; there are many, but here is one as an example: https://www.gamblersoasisusa.com/error-code.aspx.
This confirmed for me that there was a problem with the sensors that detected the cash box. Just before I went back to checking for loose wires, I decided to check here for any other options. As I was about to stop reading, I stumbled on this thread: http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=12830.0, which included a link to this older thread: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=4226.msg8620#msg8620.

I thought that was interesting, but I also thought, “it can’t be that simple.” I added it to my list of things to look at, but figured the chances were slim that this was the answer. After all, I hadn’t moved the acceptor mechanism in some time, and the unit had worked. Opening the machine, I checked the screws on the front of the bill acceptor tray and found them secure. The whole mechanism was secure on the tray. (I knew from experience that if the mechanism was not down and level on the tray, the door may not close because the front of the bill acceptor guide hits the inside of the bezel mount.) However, when I felt for the two pins that should be sticking down, they were barely protruding.
I loosened the front screws on the tray and repositioning the acceptor, while feeling for the pins. To my surprise, the whole thing dropped into place, and the pins stuck out prominently. I then tightened the front two screws, noting that the pins pull back up a bit when I tightened the screws. A slight position adjustment kept the pins down.

Once I closed the door, the gears spun, the tilt cleared, and the bill acceptor bezel lights came on. Knowing I have old software on the DBV, I tested with a $1 bill – and it worked. I had been preparing for battle, but that operation took only 20 seconds. It would have been disappointing, if I hadn’t been so happy.
After learning that this was the issue, I found more references in the forums – for example, http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=5663.0, along with others. The last post in that link, from Strake, described my issue perfectly; however, there had been a lot of other details distracting me along the way.

Of course, the acceptor has been sitting there for years without much use, and now I have a series of jammed bills to prove it. However, it does work with crisp (and old) enough bills, and the mechanism seems to be freeing up a bit with more use.
I’ve discovered that there is a ton of great information here, but it can be a bit scattered. When searching the forums, be persistent, use different keywords, and keep looking. Also, don’t take anything for granted, and don’t forget to look for the simple solution. As evidenced in all the posts I linked here, there is also a wealth of expertise available for the asking.

Thank you to everyone in those posts who offered suggestions and guidance, and to everyone here who is willing to do more of the same.
Jeremy

Offline edoleu

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • edoleu New User has no influence.
Jeremy,

Thank you for sharing all of that detailed information on what you learned and how you fixed it. I'm having a frustrating problem with one of my machines, and although it's a different make and model, the information you posted is helpful to me on other things to try. Like you said, the information here can be a bit scattered, so running across a start-to-finish narrative like this is extremely valuable.

Keep 'em spinning!

Ethan

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal