New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Universal ultra series slant top-coin rejection solenoid keeps clicking  (Read 2500 times)

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • kmarrocco New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I have a universal ultra series slant top machine that the coin rejection solenoid keeps clicking on.  After a reset, the machine will play for a while and then the displays will turn off and the coin rejection solenoid continuously clicks on and off.  Any advice?  Hoping that there is a simple fix.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
Most likely bad power supply.

Tony
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
Thanks for the information.   Is there a way to isolate the area within the power supply that may be going bad?  There is no code displayed.   I have a few other power supplies with issues and could try swapping boards out but would need to know which area to focus on.  Thanks!

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
Any headway?

Not sure what you mean by isolate the area within the power supply..

If you are asking about probing or troubleshooting the devices in the power supply - you would need to know quite a bit about power supplies. I would not recommend doing that unless you have good knowledge of what is going on with the circuits.

If you want to try to 'repair' the power supply on your own - replace all the aluminum electrolytic capacitors on the board, probably don't need to do the big AC input filter caps as they last years but can go bad. Without a picture of the supply I couldn't give you any useful information. If it is a switching supply they are complicated but replacing caps usually fixes them. If it is a linear supply - a big transformer, big caps and a few devices - that would need a different approach.

If you want to talk - PM me and we can get in touch.

Tony
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
Thank you for your reply.  I was referring to the fact that the power supply has 2 boards in it.  If there is an indication which board the problem is on, I could try swapping out boards from other non-working supplies I have.   It seems this supply is very hard to find but I have 3 other non-working ones.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
Swapping boards could be helpful but if none of the 3 work it may not help. Post a picture of the insides and boards.

The clicking sounds like it could be AC ripple on DC and caps are there to reduce that.

Have you tried repairs? Replaced any caps? Interested in sending me one to look at?
Tony

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Gonna throw this out there too.
Could be caps on the mpu board also.

And, this would be nice, it could be dirty pins on the mpu mating with the backplane. I would try a soft brush with electronics cleaner on the pins and the backplane (powered OFF of course!) Let dry and reinsert board.
Remember, bad pin connections on Ultras are THE BIGGEST PROBLEM.
I've found, with magnifying glass, some of the ground pins corrode from arching due to bad connections.
CLEAN THE PINS just don't bend them!

Years back when I had Ultras sometimes chattering solenoids cured by cleaning pins.

The fact your losing display too means 24vdc problem. Still, could be pins, worth a try!!

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG

AND, you may need to reseat that board several times!! Very finicky!! Use your thumbs pushing down on the white pull tabs, rocking just a little, left and right.

Always worked for me.

I'm sure it's here at NLG somewhere, Ultra boards were Universal's worst nightmare. The pin connections in the backplane just too large, pins barely make contact. Little dirt/dust and they act up. Move the machine and they act up. Over time ground pins corrode a bit.
Every freaking error can come up, coin comparitor fails to power up, hopper jam, you name it. Sometimes a different error every power up!!!!
THE KEY, clean pins and backplane and a solid connection. Then don't move it. LOL

Now that these machines are getting old, power supplies and mpu's will die. Usually caps first.
Start with pins first and then the rest.

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
Thanks for the advice.  I reseated the main board  a while back and the machine has been working ever since.  I didn't look at the pins in detail or clean them, but the connection quality must have been it.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG

Glad to hear that!
And thanks for responding so quick!! So many times folks fix their machines and then never report back. It will help others!!!

Sorry I was late in responding, no longer own slots and stop by here just once in awhile.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal