New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Universal Ultra Power Supply  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Universal Ultra Power Supply
« on: December 24, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »
Anyone have a power supply schematic for a Universal Ultra Upright model 94000?

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: Universal Ultra Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 06:46:19 PM »
Well my worse fear has become reality.

My Ulltra power supply failed a few weeks ago.

A darlington array (see picture) has overheated and failed.

If anyone has one of these or a failed power supply with the part intact please PM me as I would like to repair mine. To date I've had no luck finding a YEC YD-1310 or a data sheet to fit a suitable replacement.

At this point I'm going to assume that a replacement part is not available so I'm reverse engineering with the data I have and will be putting together a replacement power supply. For those of you that are in the same situation with a failed power supply...I should have the complete assembly made up within the next week and I'll post a file with the instructions on the build; pin outs, parts list, pics, voltages etc.

-Pitts256

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 08:40:30 AM »
May want to try calling NLG headquarters in Bullhead City.
Back in 2019 I sold them all my Uni stuff including good and bad Ultra power supplies.

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 03:05:56 PM »
Thanks

I'll do that.

-Pitts256

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 08:27:41 PM »
New Power Supply Update:

The new power supply project went as planned.

The Super Mag 7 is alive and well.

Still putting together the build file. I'll post when completed.

-Pitts256

« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 09:08:21 PM by Pitts256 »

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 04:35:33 PM »
New Power Supply Update:

Okay, I've put together two files. Part one will build the power supply and get the machine up and running. Part two is for an auxiliary relay which is necessary to restore the three candle lights and the lock release solenoid for the pull handle. Consider Part 2 optional, the release lever for the pull handle can be zip tied open (down position), the machine will operate fine.

I tried to be as detailed as possible with the two files, I'll update and re-post if needed. If there's something that needs clarification please post a comment and I'll respond as quickly as possible. Also share your improvement ideas and I'll include them in the files as well.

-Pitts256
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:33:32 PM by Pitts256 »

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 11:40:57 AM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Have you tried the "Reach" feature on this game? "Super Reach" might work too.

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=511.0

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:17:15 PM »
I did...works great!

Thanks

-Pitts256

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 11:15:53 PM »
POWER SUPPLY UPDATE:

The new power supply has been working extremely well. The ULTRA MAG 7 has been played for several weeks now and has not missed a beat.

I've attached photo's of the cause for the oem power supply failure. It appears there was a modification on the CPU board to the LED Display driver chip U3 (M54563P). The U3 pin 9 was lifted from the chip socket and a jumper installed from the anode of D26 to U3 pin 9. This modification supplied U3 with +5V rather than +12V. This was done to eliminate a buzz in the sound output, it also reduced the brightness of the LED's slightly. Not sure if this was a factory authorized modification, it does serve the purpose. The problem though was the ground to U3 was not swapped which intern placed a heavier load on a jumper between the +5V and +12V grounds (a trace in the boards center layer).  A warning sign the trace was failing was occasionally the sound chip would lock up and the LED display would flicker, a reboot was required to restore the sound. The trace finally failed and took out the power supply when the temperature in my garage workshop hit 95+ degs, the garage now has A/C (lessen learned). I restored the ground by placing a jumper on the bottom side of the CPU board, on the negative leads for C4 & C5 caps.

Hopefully the information provided will prevent power supply failures for those of you that still have these relics running.

-Pitts256
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 07:16:55 PM by Pitts256 »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 165
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 03:10:26 AM »
Thank You Again !!!

Offline canm01

• Reputation Power: 0
  • canm01 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 06:13:37 AM »
Good timing on your post.  I have a Super Mag 7 and a Twin Crowns both with power supply issues.  One is completely dead and the other may be on its way out.  I really like and appreciate your info on building a new power supply.  I did some pricing on the NMP and found they range from $400-$500.  Could you tell me what yours ran and where you purchased it?   I may have to break down and do some troubleshooting on the original power supplies.  I know the dead one is truly dead as it does not work in either machine. Mike C.

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 11:46:50 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.

I found mine on eBay, the timing was perfect. Two brand new NMP650's popped up on a lab supply store for $89.00 ea plus shipping. It wasn't exactly what I needed but with the capability to adjust each of the module voltages I was able to make it work. Still working well as I write this. The only drawback to the NMP650 is the cooling fan, it's on a VFD and on occasion can wind up to create an whining sound.

If you can find a supply that has 5V-12V-24V-30V you should be good to go. Check out the older Universal supplies...RED, GREEN or YELLOW dot. I see they have the same voltage outputs.

-Randy

Offline canm01

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 08:55:49 PM »
Randy...Wow...the timing had to be perfect.  I could live with that price.  The 400-500 range is a "tad" high for me.  I will try to be patient and search a little more.  I did try looking a little bit for something similar...but I could not find anything that was adjustable to get the 30V.  Thanks again for all the work you did on this!  Mike C.

Offline canm01

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 12:45:16 PM »
Randy,

I finally have the parts in and am attempting to assemble everything.  I have the Output Relay module completed.  Now attempting to finish wiring for the power supply.  On your directions, you mention GND1, GND2, and GND3. What are those in relation to?  Is one specifc to the 5v, one to the 12v and one to the 24v?  If so, which goes to which?  I can hardly wait to get this finished and have 2 working slots again!

Mike C.

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi Mike,

THE OLD PS:

From the original power supply the +5V1(VCC1), +5V2(VCC2), +12V, +24V and +30V grounds were separated. The +5V1(VCC1), +12V and +30V grounds were later tied together on the CPU board. See below how they ended up on the CPU board.

GND1
+5V1(VCC1)
+12V
+30V

GND2
+5V2(VCC2)

GND3
+24V

THE NEW PS:

As for the new power supply I jumpered the +5V, +12V and +30V grounds together on the supply terminal block. Also GND1 and GND2 are now tied together. I used GND1 for the GND2 as my power supply did not have an additional +5V output to use for +5V1(VCC2) & GND2 pair.

The +24V & GND3 were kept separate.

Let me know if you need more info.

-Randy

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal