New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Collected WW2 Militaria for over 50 years  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Hiram

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Hiram New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Collected WW2 Militaria for over 50 years
« on: April 25, 2020, 05:03:53 AM »
My main hobby has been collecting mostly WW2 Militaria for over 50 years ..a neighbor started me off with a German Helmet when I was about 7 or 8 ,(I'm 64 now)  then a relative gave me a Japanese Helmet and , the "Treasure hunt" started , I was hooked lol. My collection is pretty broad spectrum ...I have a 1944 GPW Jeep as well as an M38A1 Jeep (Korean War) and a 1942 40mm A/T Gun (deactivated) , as well as Flags, Uniforms, Firearms , Medals , Radio gear , I like it all. Over the years , it's added up and , it's a large collection - I've loaned items to the History Channel , worked with many Museums  and quite a few Reference books have borrowed items from me as well ..plus , I like setting up public displays. Our Schools don't really teach WW2 History in-depth anymore so , I think the displays help keep the History alive. First is a picture of me explaining a few items to Lieutenant General Robert L. Caslen who was the Superintendent of West Point at the time , I had setup a large display for the Honor Flight Dinner and he attended  . Then there's a shot of me with my 1942 Anti-Tank Gun at a display we did at FDR's House in Hyde Park NY and ..a shot with both of my Jeeps getting ready for the July 4th Parade at West Point .
I also have an old Pinball and a Commando Video Arcade game  ... my Wife isn't interested in the WW2 relics ...but the Slot Machines and Video Poker she loves so ...our 2 IGT's are now a "hobby" we can both enjoy !!  ......why don't Girls like Anti-Tank Guns ?? I don't get it  LOL

Offline bpracer

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: Collected WW2 Militaria for over 50 years
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 05:34:16 AM »
That 40mm A/T looks awesome, do you have more pics?

Offline Hiram

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 01:23:45 PM »
Glad you like it  ...The Gun itself is a 2 Pounder (roughly 40mm) and was originally a British design .Mine was made by General Motors Holden in Australia. They are not easy to find and I think there are only 4 of these in the US (incl mine) Jacques Littlefield restored one..After he passed ,
a Museum in Hudson Ma has it now. But they weigh around 1700 pounds so , they were easy to move and scrap after the war ...so less are found now. The GM plant in Canada also made them and a few years ago they printed a book on them and used my 2Pdr for their cover. I set it up on a mountain overlooking the Hudson  ..they did a great job editing the tents out of the shot they used lol . It is a very  interesting design as , the Wheels can be removed and the Gun sits on its own Tripod ..and can traverse 360 . They even use to mount them on Weapons Carriers and Truck so , they were versatile .The problem was , in Europe , the Tanks up-armored fast so they had to develop a "squeeze - bore" device to increase the velocity (called a Little John). In the Pacific Theater , that was never a problem since the Japanese Tanks were thin skinned and , our 37mm and the 2 Pdr did a great Job on Tanks and Bunkers.  GM Australia did a book after the war and you can see some of their production pics here -- https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/BRG+213/121/10/19D I'm missing the seat and the leather tool box that sits on the ammo box ...been looking for one for years now but , doubt if I'll find it.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 01:38:52 PM »
That is so cool!!!  Do you need a concealed weapons permit to carry that around?   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Hiram

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
LOL ...I'm in NY remember ? They arrest you for THINKING about a Gun  :fryingpan: 
Mine is deactivated BUT ...it still cost me some grief. About 5 years ago some younger "Gent" who was very delicate and was easily offended by anything he felt was not politically correct , took me to Court for having too many Army Vehicles and the Anti Tank Gun . He said the Gun was intimidating his customers and stopping them from buying his used Bikes. The Judge asked me if my Jeeps & Trucks were registered and Insured ..I said yes ..the Gun is exempt since DMV says anything with a dedicated trailer made just for it (Like a wood Chipper or Roofing Tar bucket) does not have to be registered -- The Judge threw the case out  LOL

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 04:11:43 PM »

Hiram,

Nice collection! Thanks for sharing.  Always liked the GPW's.   :cool_thumb_up:

Here's a couple of my toys.  While not originals or, as nice as yours they will have to fill my needs for now.

First is a full size Mt. Howitzer being sighted in by my grandson (a few years ago). The second is my sub scale French '75 as I was doing a demonstration at one of our local clubs. The '75 has a 1.75" bore.

Offline Hiram

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 09:11:07 PM »
Love 'em !!  and yours both work !! ...I wish mine wasn't neutered but , that's life. At least it was done in a way that still keeps it presentable for display . I've seen many large bore examples turn into welded cut up Frankensteins after they deactivate them and that's a shame. Your Howitzer really stands out with that Carriage. I heard the Amish were making exact reproductions and , their craftsmanship is fantastic ...wonder if that's who made yours.
A local Veteran's Museum always borrows items from me and , I have a deactivated 81mm Mortar that also had a very clean job done on it ..the welding doesn't ruin its looks at all ...plus all of my belt feds are welded up ...but , for display it's ok . I also have 2 water cooled Vickers on Tripods and a heavy Soviet , plus 2 1919 Brownings (all welded) The problem with the larger items (like yours as well ) is , many collectors  don't always have the room to display them in the House ...they tend to get in the way ...or , maybe we need a bigger house ?  LOL   

Offline terrysmith

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • terrysmith New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 03:30:27 AM »
Wow. This is just an awesome collection. I think that not every museum can boast of such exhibits. I just admire your hobby.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal