New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Ceronix 1492 in PE+ Slant top  (Read 2159 times)

Offline henrydwh

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • henrydwh New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Ceronix 1492 in PE+ Slant top
« on: January 27, 2023, 05:49:13 PM »
I am needing some advice/ideas on repairs of a problem. I have a IGT PE+ slant top and One day I turned it on and the picture compressed.  I contacted somebody locally about doing repairs, he is an experienced arcade repair tech. So, he recapped my original chassis, and got no change. Took my main board to check it out and found nothing wrong. He bought a working 1492 chassis and we found out wrong jumper setting were being used, changed the jumper settings and no picture! I have verified that the machine is in setup mode, buttons light up and I was trying the jackpot reset key and triggered the hopper test, so pretty sure the game is booting. When you power down the machine you do get the white line on the screen and he said he sees the tube glowing, so thinking the picture tube is good. Is there any thing he should be looking at that he might be missing? Any thoughts would be helpful at this point. been dealing with this since Aug. of last year.  Attached is what the screen looked like when it first acted up.

Offline Chris-socal

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...
  • Keep tinkering until it works!
Re: Ceronix 1492 in PE+ Slant top
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 09:52:37 PM »
Ceronix 1492?
Need to determine if the game or monitor is at fault. If the chassis was changed and there was no change at all I would suspect the game video output or yoke on the CRT, rare. I would have thought a game tech would have a TPG to test the CRT outside of the machine.
Maybe you can find someone locally who has a machine you can hook the monitor up to.

Chris

Offline henrydwh

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 11:24:57 AM »
Unfortunately I do not know of anybody that I would be able to swap out components to test, sure would be nice if I did. I have contemplated boxing up the main board and monitor chassis and sending to someone to check it all out! And it may come down to that, if I can find someone that will do that.

Offline Chris-socal

• Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 12:34:34 PM »
That game board is very serviceable, where are you located? K-Lar is in LV.  NLG shop is in Bullhead city. There are several supporting shops on the home page.
Not sure how many games you have but it might be worth investing in a Test Pattern Generator and an isolation transformer. If you have CRTs in your life it sure makes troubleshooting a lot easier. You might want pull the game board and post some pictures, maybe there is a capacitor that has blown. Easy fix.

Chris

Offline henrydwh

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 06:12:59 PM »
I live in Topeka Kansas not much in the way of slot repair in my area. This machine is my only with a crt monitor. Other then some minor repairs on my pinball machines, I really am not that experienced with this stuff, just some basic knowledge. If it wasn't so expensive I would convert it to LCD and be done with it.

Here is a picture of the board, the guy working it currently has the monitor and will be dropping by tomorrow to check his progress. If you or anybody has any suggestions I can pass along, please feel free to post them.

Offline Chris-socal

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 10:26:08 AM »
Nothing stands out. Someone checked or replaced the caps and marked them…at some point. So much about that image looks like vertical collapse but if he swapped the crt board that wouldn’t make sense.

Offline henrydwh

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 12:51:02 PM »
He was here earlier and has swapped the chassis back to the original on the monitor. booted up with the same problem, but was able to add credits and play a few games. He thought maybe changing out the video processor. Thoughts?   

Offline Richard S

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Richard S New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 03:10:11 PM »
The picture you posted looks like a you have a defective deflection yoke. May not be available except in a scrap monitor. Check on here to see if anyone has one.

Offline henrydwh

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 10:54:51 AM »
The picture you posted looks like a you have a defective deflection yoke. May not be available except in a scrap monitor. Check on here to see if anyone has one.

Is this something that is repairable or has to be replaced? Also anyway to verify that is the problem?

Offline Chris-socal

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 01:48:03 PM »
The yoke is the set of copper coils that are surrounding the tube neck. I agree it could be defective but it could also be loose. Have you checked to see if it’s tight? With the monitor turned off you are safe to grab the yoke gently and see if it is tight.
I thought I saw a Ceronix yoke on eBay awhile back but changing a yoke isn’t something you would attempt if you don’t know what it is. It requires a lot of tuning.

Offline henrydwh

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 05:40:18 PM »
The yoke is the set of copper coils that are surrounding the tube neck. I agree it could be defective but it could also be loose. Have you checked to see if it’s tight? With the monitor turned off you are safe to grab the yoke gently and see if it is tight.
I thought I saw a Ceronix yoke on eBay awhile back but changing a yoke isn’t something you would attempt if you don’t know what it is. It requires a lot of tuning.

Just checked, felt tight. I looked around eBay yesterday, saw lots of deflection yokes, so it would it be a ceronix deflection yoke?I wasn't sure what to look for. I found a sticker on the yoke that read TDY-4108A2, but came up with nothing when I searched it. 

Definitely not something I would try on my own, just doing the leg work trying to narrow down the problem.

Offline Chris-socal

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 07:45:27 AM »
I ran this by Badbaud, master tech at k-Lar, he suggests looking at the zener diode on the b+ portion of the board…or the capacitor associated with it. Schematics are plentiful for this board, start there. Its a lot easier than replacing a yoke. Did you say your tech had a replacement board or did he put a cap kit in yours?

Offline henrydwh

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 08:22:15 AM »
Both actually, he recapped my original board,which changed nothing, so he found a known working board and did a replacement, which had no effect. Also, after researching and finding a Ceronix manual, found out the jumpers were set for another game on the replacement board. Changed them according to the manual and still had no picture on the replacement board.

As I said the other day, we got it to boot up and could make out enough of the scrambled picture to get it to playing mode, was able to drop quarters in for credits, deal cards, actually hit a winning hand and cash out, so we know that part of the main board is functioning correctly.

By the way, thanks for all the help!!! 

Offline Richard S

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Richard S New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 09:51:19 AM »

Is this something that is repairable or has to be replaced? Also anyway to verify that is the problem?

Yokes can be tested with a ringing test. This requires a yoke/flyback tester. Either a separate piece of test equipment or built in to some of the old TV/monitor test equipment made by Sencore.
A visual inspection may show burned wires in the winding. Sometimes repairable by unwinding, repairing, and rewinding, but it is not a job for the faint of heart or the impatient.:-) Definitely unusual to find someone willing to spend the time.

Offline henrydwh

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 09:26:57 PM »
To close this topic out as solved. I went ahead and bought a new LCD from Ceronix and solved the problem, I figured it was going to get expensive either way! My guy charged me 200.00 for the work he preformed and gave me the parts that he ended up not using. So I have a "known working" 1492 chassis and my old 1492 chassis and tube with a bad Yoke, I think. Is anybody interested in these by chance? 

UPDATE: chassis spoken for.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:44:58 PM by henrydwh »

Offline Chris-socal

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 09:38:41 PM »
Sending PM

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal