New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Looking for help with IGT machine  (Read 4421 times)

Offline NOLA_Ken

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • NOLA_Ken New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Looking for help with IGT machine
« on: November 29, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the forum and to slot machines and hoping I can get some help
My father in law bought this machine a couple days ago at a pawn shop and was told that there was some kind of problem with one of the circuit boards. I don't know if that's accurate, but either way it doesn't work and since I'm the guy everyone in the family comes to when something breaks, it's at my house now and I'm hoping I can get it fixed up for him.
So I think this is an "M" series? The tag on the case says it's a model 1636A made in Nov 1986. It looks complete inside, it powers up but makes a lot of relay clacking noises for about a minute, and a loud 60 cycle hum from the speaker. I noticed the payout mechanism was trying to turn but seemed sluggish so I pulled it out and when I powered the machine on the hum was gone. I took the gearbox apart and cleaned the old grease out but it's still doing the same thing. Also when you put a coin in the machine it sticks and has to be manually released.

So what I'm hoping for here is just help with where to begin the troubleshooting, what kind of common issues should I look for, and then I guess what kind of less common ones. I can fix just about anything, but I've never been inside a slot machine before and I just don't know what to look for
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:54:07 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Looking for help with IGT machine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
It's an IGT M slot alright.  You can download a manual from this post:
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=13720.msg73860#msg73860
The clacking noises are probably the reel kickers engaging to spin the reels.  Do the reels spin after is powers up?  Also check the dot matrix display on the front door for any error messages.

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
The reels don't spin when I power it on, and there's nothing on the display. When I took the payout mech out I got a "tilt call attendant" message and while it was out if I turned the key on the side I would get various things on the leds, but with the thing in there's nothing

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 06:10:28 PM »
I assume you're referring to the coin hopper?  It's odd that the machine acts somewhat alive with it out but not with it in.  With it out turn on the machine, when it says Tilt call attendant, turn the jackpot reset key on the machine toward the rear one time, it should scroll the reason for the tilt on the display.

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »
Yeah coin hopper.. So when I took it out just now and turned the key I got "CMOS" on the display, also with it out the relays didn't click when I powered it on

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 08:38:20 PM »
Ok.  Sounds like the MPU CMOS battery is probably dead.  It's located in a card cage above the reels.  Usually there's a screw holding the cover closed.  Remove the screw, them remove the MPU board.  You'll see a battery soldered on to it.  Check it with a Digital Multimeter and see what it reads.

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »
OK, the battery is showing 0.12 volts so I'll replace that, but more importantly I found that the rectifier diode on the back right corner of the board is cooked. I'm about to look for a source for a new one and I'll get that replaced as well.  Luckily it doesn't look like the traces are completely destroyed so soldering in a new one shouldn't be a problem. I didn't see any other noticeably damaged components on the board but I'll go ahead and try to trace the circuit back and see if anything else is bad.

So I guess that's about as far as I can go or now until I get the new parts installed and see if it works or not

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
Yep, the battery is definitely dead.  I'm not sure what circuit that bridge rectifier is part of right off hand.  There's another member/vendor here that is parting out a M slot, so if repair of that board doesn't look good he may still have one?  Parts for these older machines can be difficult to find. 

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=26458.0

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 11:45:57 PM »
Thank you, I'll look into a new board if I can't get this one to work. I found a source for the rectifier and once I talk to the father in law I'll get it ordered. I found some scorch marks under some resistors on the other side of the board too, R 3-8 and R30. They're still in tolerance but I'm going to replace them as well and stand them a little higher off the board just to get slightly better cooling even though it probably doesn't make much difference.

From there I guess I'll wait and see what other problems it has

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 09:26:01 AM »
OK good luck!

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 08:52:55 PM »
We went ahead and bought those boards, I'm still going to repair the originals just to have a spare set. Got a new battery coming as well so hopefully by Friday evening I'll either have it working or figure out if there are other problems

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »
While you're waiting on the boards you might as well pull the reel assembly out and look at the reel kicker cam followers.  The original ones were made of a cork like material that deteriorates and causes reel malfunctions.  There's some pics and information about them on the old site here:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=2374.msg19595#msg19595

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:38:44 PM »
I had a look at them and they seem ok, I also found out the cooling fan for the boards was dead which could be why the rectifier burnt up. I've got a new one on the way too

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
Great, hopefully you'll have it up and running soon then.

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 06:31:08 PM »
Got the new fan today and it's put back together, still not working though, I get "no spin 1" on the display, so looks like I'm going to be reading the manual tonight

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 09:58:30 PM »
Does reel 1 spin?

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
It does now, and I also discovered there was a little plastic piece in the coin slot that was I assume meant to change it to a dime machine which I have removed. The only issue I still have is that when you put coins in they all seem to drop out of the bottom instead of going into the hopper. I see there is a plastic "gate" with a relay controlling it that is supposed to divert them but I don't think it's working properly. I'm wondering if the weight switch on the hopper isn't working and telling the machine it's empty

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
Actually it works the other way.  When the hopper is full the diverter solenoid energizes and the coins get diverted into the stand.  Check the wiring on the hopper microswitch as well as the microswitch itself.  You could always unplug the diverter as well. 

Offline NOLA_Ken

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
The switch checked out fine, I just bypassed the diverter and it seems to be working fine now. The owner is happy and we can sort out any little quirks later. It's been an interesting project and now I'd kind of like to work on more of them
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:41:54 PM by NOLA_Ken »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 06:40:55 PM »
Congrats!  Glad you were able to get it working  :applause:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal