New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT 1641c  (Read 2286 times)

Offline x42zrb

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • x42zrb New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGT 1641c
« on: December 15, 2020, 06:13:20 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum world.  A man in MN who refurbishes slot machines sent me here for help, so here I go...
I bought a 1985 IGT 4 reel slot machine.  Model number 1641c, serial number 301234.  I am looking for a manual or advice if anyone has working knowledge of the machine.  It works for the most part but tilts every once and a while.  I reset the machine and move on.  Now I cannot reset the machine and the wheels are free spinning.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:06:31 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: IGT 1641c
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »
 :NLG_WELCOME:
Looks like an IGT M slot to me.  The reel kickers on those can be troublesome.  The cam followers on them were made from a cork like material and as it ages it gets brittle and starts breaking off.  The originals can't be found anymore so most people (including me) have resorted to using steel roller bearings on them.  They also had issues with the cracked solder joints on the ribbon cable on the reel kickers too.  They can usually be reflowed and fixed that way, but I've seen some where people resorted to using a jumper wire to bypass the ribbon cable in places too.

Read through the M-slot forum, you may find some helpful information in the thread there. 

There's also a manual attached to this post that you can download.  Hope it helps.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=13720.msg73860#msg73860

What does the error message on the display show?

Offline x42zrb

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 05:39:53 AM »
Thank you Tilt for the manual and pointing me to the M-slot forum.  Sounds like I'm going to have to study up on my slot machine lingo.

We picked up the slot machine for my 81 year old mother and father-in-law and they live an hour away, so working on this will be slow going.  I will be going there this weekend(12/20/2020) to work on it. 

I forgot to mention, a previous owner replaced the reset key on the side with a toggle switch(if that matters).

Currently the error says tilt/see attendant.  If there is an error code, I do not know it at this time. 
When I reset the machine, does the door have to be open or can it be closed?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »
That's unfortunate because the jackpot reset key on the M-slot can be turned clockwise and counter-clockwise for different functions.  If there's only one switch then you lost one of them.  Fear not though, the cursor advance button on the inside of the machine will work where the manual calls for turning the keyswitch counter-clockwise.  See section 5 of the manual.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "reset" the machine.  Most errors on the M slot can be cleared by simply opening and closing the main door.  When the door closes the machine will try to continue the play that was in progress when the error occured.  If the same error comes back then you'll know you have a problem that needs to be looked at.  Most errors on these machines will be reel related, reel spin too slow, no spin, etc.  If that's the case you can confirm the problem by swapping the reel kickers around.  For instance if you have Too Slow 1 (Reel 1) you can swap reel 1 and reel 2 reel kickers around.  If you get an error now that says Too Slow 2, then you'll know the problem is with the reel kicker. If it still says Too Slow 1 then you have something else wrong.

While you're in there take a look at the reel kicker rollers to see if they're the original cork ones and look at their condition.  I made a video I posted on youtube that shows how to remove the reel basket and reel kickers.  Here's a link to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFZPP_2znA

Offline x42zrb

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »
I didn't think to mention that the reset toggle switch is a momentary switch that goes both ways.  At this point I don't know which way is clockwise or counterclockwise. 

When I say reset, I was talking about pushing the toggle button that is in place of the reset key on the right side of the machine.

I am planning on going to the in-laws on Sunday, the info and video have been an enormous help. Thank you very much Tilt!

Could you tell me where you found the steel bearing to replace the cork ones?  When I get the machine open, I will look to see if the original cork rollers are there.

What do you use to lubricate the reel kickers?

And one last question,  Is there a way to reduce the volume on these machines?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 05:08:33 PM »
You can tell which way is which by the way the machine responds.  With the original switch clockwise is spring loaded (meaning it returns to the center position when released) counter- clockwise stays in that position. 

The only place I found suitable bearing was from a company called mscdirect.com.  Surprisingly they still have them.  I got 3 for $10.00 + shipping back in 2012, looks like it's going to cost ya almost $18.00 + shipping now.  Here's a link:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01376748?rItem=01376748

I used common 3 in 1 oil on some of the pivot points.  Is it the best thing to use?  I don't know.  Worked ok for me though, just don't go crazy with it and don't lubricate the solenoid plungers with it.

Yes, there' a volume control on the sound board (they call it a tone generator module).  It's located in the compartment above the reels.  You may have to remove a screw to open it.  While you're in there check the condition of the MPU battery on the lower board.  If it's showing any signs of leaking replace it.  Probably would be good to replace it anyhow as it's likely a decade old or so.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:24:42 PM by Tilt »

Offline x42zrb

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »
Ok, I found some bearings that are .25 ID/.75OD/.218 thick instead of the .25 ID/.75OD/.250 thick.  The ones on MSCDirect are backordered.  They should work to at least verify that the kicker are working

Can someone tell me what type of battery it takes?  Is it a special battery or a regular AA?  I feel dumb asking but the machine is at the in-laws and I'm just trying to go there prepared.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »
It's a 3.6v AA size lithium battery with leads.  I elected to solder an AA battery holder to the board and get a 3.6V AA battery (without leads).  That way if I'm alive in a decade when it needs to be replaced again I can pop it out and put a new one without soldering anything.

Here's a link to the battery.  If you have a batteries plus or similar store nearby they may have it.  If not mail order is probably the only way you'll find one.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tadiran-Batteries/TL-2100-PBP/?qs=afMqcEmPaWrAcCqU25HcuQ%3D%3D

Offline x42zrb

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
Thank you once again Tilt.  I ordered the battery from the link you provided.  I ordered the bearings I found on Amazon.  Both of those will be here early next week.  I'm stopping for some 3in1 oil tomorrow.  We will be at the in-laws on Christmas eve,  I will update with any progress after Christmas.  Again, thank you for your assistance.  :hail:   I couldn't have done this without you, even though I'm the one that's going to get all the credit from my mother-in-law. :lol:
[size=78%] [/size]

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »
Glad to help.  I forgot to comment on the bearings.  They're a bit narrower, but I think those should work fine.  You may want to add a washer between the bearing and E-Ring if there's too much end play.  Be careful when removing the e-rings.  They will sometimes launch into outer space on you.   Sorry I didn't notice the MSCdirect bearings were out of stock. 

You can inspect the battery and measure the battery voltage.  There should be a date code on it, if it's older than 10 years I'd just replace it.  If less and no signs of leaking and voltage is still good you can replace it later.  If I recall correctly the only thing I had to do after replacing the battery was clear the CMOS error.  Press and hold the pushbutton on the front right had side of the MPU (it's mounted vertically) for a few seconds.  It's on page 5-9 of the manual, take that with you too.

MIL Credit is good.  Don't break it or you'll get all the blame too.  :24:

Good luck!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:32:02 PM by Tilt »

Offline x42zrb

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
I was able to make it to the in-laws yesterday. 

Found out a disc fell off the the 4th reel causing the tilt error.  I glued it back on and the machine works again.

I looked at the battery, someone replace it at some time but only used a 1/2AA.  I have a full sized one on the way so I will replace it.  Hopefully clearing the CMOS error goes OK.

The kicker bearings look OK and look they have been replaced with plastic but since I have those on the way, I will replace them next time I go over there.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
Nice work  :applause: .  Glad you got it working again.  I'd seen some plastic rollers in pictures before, but never heard of or found a source for them.  Anyways, hopefully after you're done they'll get years of problem free play out of it.  If they do get an occasional reel tilt of some type usually just opening and closing the main door will clear it. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal