**Reel Slots** Gaming Machines > IGT S and S-plus Reel Games

Spring mechanism

(1/2) > >>

Cleobud:
Forgive me but I’m not absolutely sure what the name of the small device mounted directly behind and above the handle mechanism - think its the solenoid. It has the spring in it and looks like ‘masking tape; is wrapped around it.  Anyway, Yesterday had 3 S+ machines running for about 1 hour a noticed that one of myS+ machines was making a slight humming noise.  Upon opening the door I located the solenoid (I think) that was humming and it was extremely HOT- not warm, but hot.  I then opened one of my other machines to see if they were hot and they were not.
The machine works fine, but is there some problem with the solenoid that it’s so hot? Fire risk?  Thanks,
JIM

hornetgod13:
You are referring to the pull handle solenoid and spring assembly. It unlocks the pull handle once a coin or bet one coin button are pressed. That solenoid "clicks" as each reels stops spinning. That solenoid often goes bad. I have seen zip ties on them to permanently disengage them. I bet the tape might be another poor attempt to hold it unlocked.

Can the pull handle be pulled down with power off or without coins added? Do you hear a clicking sound when each reels stops spinning? There is a fuse for the solenoid. You can easily disconnect the the wires to the solenoid if you are worried about the heat.

Good used handle solenoids can be sourced and replacement is fairly easy. I pull the whole handle assembly to make it easier. If you have a bill validator installed, I removed it too. Removal and replacement is not challenging.

Cleobud:
Handle does not pull when powered off nor does it pull when coins/credits are not played.  It works fine, but it’s just alarming how hot it gets so quickly and the humming noise.  Maybe I’ll just disconnect it or find another.  Thanks much for your answer, JIM

Stayouttadabunker:
This is the solenoid unit with the two small springs that controls the pawl to release the handle.
I'm going guess the coil windings or rectifier chip is starting to short out, causing it to overheat?
I cannot really tell from here.
It comes out easily, by removing two screws & disconnecting the 2-pin harness...>>>

Cleobud:
Thanks for the video.  Makes sense and I think I can replace it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version