New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Space Jet Bell  (Read 4267 times)

Offline R1ckSt3r

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • R1ckSt3r New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Space Jet Bell
« on: March 17, 2022, 08:19:23 PM »
Hello Everyone,

New to this forum. Brand new to working on slot machines and am beginning the process of education; locating manuals and understanding the intricacies of how slot machines work.

I purchased a few machines recently to work on. I am unable to identify two of these machines. I am starting with this one. The base was repainted and the ID tag was probably removed during the repaint. I can't find any identifying information on the interior, other than "1965" stamped on a metal baseplate. (Don't know if that is a year or part #.) Any leads or information you can give is greatly appreciated. (Sorry for the sideways pics; working on it.)

Rick
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 08:32:31 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Space Jet Bell
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »
 :NLG_WELCOME:

Hello Rick!
Normally NLG doesn't handle too many mechanical machines but I do my best here since I have a few!
If I can't answer the questions I usually refer to "CoinOpCollectorForum.com" where they discuss nothing but mechanical/antique machines.
I'd recommend joining that site as they have lots of information not found here.
However (and it's a BIG however), I found two extensive threads on your machine right here!

This is the first thread:
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=12267.0

And, at reply #2 in that thread, Monti added another one of his, posted earlier.
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=4750

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 02:36:37 PM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 12:45:36 PM »
R1ckSt3r,

Shortrackskater has you in the right direction. It is a Space Jet Bell.  You can confirm this by the markings on the reel glass.

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 03:46:09 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your quick replies. Now that I know what it is, I just have to figure out what's wrong with it and how to fix it!  :Scratch-Head:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 02:37:13 PM »
Keep us posted.  I love that machine!  :yes:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 10:18:38 PM »
I've worked on several of these - mechanical reels, electronic payout. This single coin type is a good home machine, all pays made from hopper. The payout counting electronics is in that gray box on the left inside wall. The last two of these that I saw, a track was burned on the printed circuit board inside that box. The fix is documented here on NLG -
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=20135.0
The original cause in this case was a stuck rocker on the hopper. Maybe that can set you on the right track. Also, there are three microswitches on the back of the mechanism and any one of them out of adjustment will give you payout problems. They're probably ok so don't be tempted to play with them without advice.

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 04:01:13 PM »
Thank you Op-Bell for the troubleshooting ideas.

I am a total noob at this and am trying to understand how this machine works. The machine lights up and, by manually lifting the rachet block (or whatever it's called), I can pull the handle and get the reels to spin and stop. The mechanical component of this machine appears to function properly . I've confirmed the fuses are okay,  and tested the solenoid that lifts the ratchet block and it functions. I think I'm looking at an electrical problem that won't be easily fixed by replacing a circuit board.

The only literature I found on these so far is a Multiple Coin Basic Schematic. For now, on this machine, I am entering "Slot Machine Repair 101", by learning the components and creating a basic wiring diagram (since this is a single coin device). Hopefully, that will be a good start to getting this machine up and running again.

Cheers,
Rick

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 07:07:04 PM »
Update: I drew a wiring diagram for the machine but haven't drawn the wiring for the Claire switch box or pay out bucket. I tested the continuity of the wire from the handle block solenoid to the 50 VAC output; it was good. I also checked the other wire from the solenoid to the "Pull Handle" light cluster; it was also good. When I drop a coin in, the coin switch activates the "Deposit Coin" light but the "Pull Handle" light does not activate nor does the solenoid activate. (I tested the solenoid externally and it functions correctly.) Neither of the solenoid wires are routed through the Claire Switch box or the pay out bucket. I am at a loss to understand why, when the power is on, and a coin is inserted, the solenoid doesn't activate.

Unfortunately, I cannot find ANY manuals or reading material on this machine model.

Questions: 1) Can anyone recommend any manual/reading material based on a 60's model electric/mechanical slot machine that will get me in the ballpark for understanding how the machines of this era work?  2)  What might be the sequence of operation to get the solenoid to activate?

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Rick  :Scratch-Head:

Offline Op-Bell

• Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 09:39:54 PM »
Get the switch box out, that's where your trouble is. Carefully release the relay board and look underneath. You will almost certainly find burnt or damaged tracks, which can be repaired.

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 10:13:11 AM »
I pulled the main circuit board for inspection. I could not see any burned circuits. I looked at the smaller board and found some discoloration around some of the resistors; not sure how to interpret that. I did a continuity test on both boards and did not find any breaks. That being said, you have far more expertise in evaluating problems on these boards than I do. Please let me know if there is something I missed or am not seeing through my novice eyes.

Thanks again,
Rick 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 04:33:25 PM »
I pulled the main circuit board for inspection. I could not see any burned circuits. I looked at the smaller board and found some discoloration around some of the resistors; not sure how to interpret that. I did a continuity test on both boards and did not find any breaks. That being

Those are diodes and they don't look happy! Current should flow one way and not the other. Is there a diode test setting on your meter? If not, use your ohm setting at the lowest resistance mode.

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 06:51:59 PM »
Thank you shortrackskater.  :applause: Although I enjoy learning new stuff, the curve in this arena is pretty steep. Using my multimeter, I checked the diodes that looked suspect. Based on the response from my multimeter, two of the diodes are toast. I will doublecheck them tomorrow then go to the "replacing diodes on a circuit board" chapter of my "Slot Machine Repair 101" book.

Onward through the fog...

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 09:17:46 PM »
You can replace the diodes with common 1N4003. Actually any in the series 1N4001 to 1N4007 will do. The diodes are used during payout. They are all in a series string, with each one connected to a group of pins on the stepper The common on the stepper goes to the win relay (PO6, lower right) on the relay board. Voltage is applied anywhere in the string and passes to all the lower stepper contacts, but not to the higher. Then the win relay operates and steps until it reaches the last contact with voltage on it.

Problems with the diodes will not stop your game from working. It just won't pay out right.

You may not have any burnt tracks now, but you did in the past. The tracks going from posts 1 and 4 on the relay board, both to the COIN6 relay, have been burned and repaired. If that COIN6 relay is damaged or inoperable, it's game over. Test its coil resistance between the 2 pins left of the contact pins - one is right next to the 6 of COIN6 and the other directly below it. The resistance should be the region of 3K (for a "3000 #43" relay, read the label). These relays are unfortunately pure unobtanium

Those tracks didn't burn out for nothing. You need to check out the off-board wiring from posts 1 and 4because whatever they are connected to allowed a destructive current to flow. Since they are the only MAKE contacts used on the coin relay, I speculate they supply power to the big solenoid that releases the handle. Examine it carefully. If that has burned out and gone short, next time the relay closes with power on it will burn out again. Maybe the last person to work on the machine found and repaired the burned tracks but didn't replace the solenoid.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 01:05:59 PM by Op-Bell »

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 07:17:46 PM »
I checked the resistance on the circuit board pins (COIN 6 relay). With a multimeter ohm setting of 20K,
the reading was 2.9.

I traced the #1 and #4 leads. Lead #1 goes to the coil magnet in the coin mechanism assembly. Lead #4
goes to pin #5 of the parallel port. Pin #5 is jumped to pin #1. Pin #1 (blue wire) leads back from the
parallel port to pin #31 (PO6) on the circuit board. I didn’t find any evidence of overheating or shorts.

A multimeter check shows continuity between pins #1 and #4 on the circuit board. Does that have any
significance? Would that indicate the relay is stuck?

I checked the handle release solenoid again and it functions correctly. One wire from the solenoid goes to power (50VAC). The other wire goes to the "Pull Handle" light. It seems the "Pull Handle" light should end up on the neutral side of the power supply to complete the circuit and activate the solenoid. I'll start tracing wires to see if any of them wind up at neutral and, if so, then check the connections.

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2022, 11:29:47 PM »
If the handle solenoid operates when you coin the game, that part of the circuit is working correctly.

What exactly is the problem with the game?

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 04:25:03 PM »
I apologize for any confusion. I removed the reel mechanism from the machine housing and tested the solenoid with an external current. It worked fine. Basically, when I plug the machine in, it lights up and nothing else. I drop a coin in and sometimes it goes into the hopper, sometimes it goes straight to the bowl.

In retrospect, as a beginner, this was probably not the best machine to start on. I cannot find a manual or any other documentation for this brand/model. This project would be better suited for someone with advanced skills and a clearer understanding of how they work.

I have decided to put this machine on pause and tackle an 80s model Bally E2000 machine. I've just finished reading an "Introduction to Bally Slot Machines" and have manuals, troubleshooting guides, and the "Owner's Pictorial Guide to the Bally's Slot Machine" on their way. This should give me a better foundation to start from. Once I have a few machines repairs under my belt and a higher confidence level, I can return to the Space Jet Bell.

Thank you for sharing your expertise and suggestions so far. If you can recommend any generic slot machine repair literature for someone just starting out, that would be great.

Thanks again,
Rick

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 04:39:19 PM »
I wish I could help you more, or refer you to someone who can. But as far as I know, I'm the only person who has ever succeeded in fixing one of these. Meantime, thank you for the wiring diagram you sketched out - I will study them. I have traced out the relay and counter boards but have never put any time into tracing the wiring in the rest of the machine.

Offline Tsanders266

• Reputation Power: 4
  • Tsanders266 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 06:51:24 AM »
I do have a schematic for an Alstate slot, made from Pace/Space Jet Bell.  My Alstate is similar to your Space Jet Bell I think this will help at least with handle solenoid.  For the payout I’m still trying to figure out mine as well

Offline R1ckSt3r

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 08:42:01 AM »
Thank you Tsanders266. I will compare it to my wiring diagram for any errant wiring on my machine.

Offline Rpowell18

• Reputation Power: 21
  • Rpowell18 New User barely matters.Rpowell18 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »
i have a money honey that was doing the same thing and my slot guy cleaned the contacts on the reels and that seamed to work..it took awhile and it fixed several other things too..Just a thought

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal