New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Older machine help  (Read 2549 times)

Offline reactorpwr

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • reactorpwr New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Older machine help
« on: July 19, 2022, 06:41:42 AM »
I was shown this older nickel machine by my in-laws.  My wife's grandfather has dementia and Alzheimer's (15-30 second memory.)  The machine was his from when he was younger. It apparently used to work, but now doesn't. I looked for a label plate or any sort of info but didn’t see anything. I am unsure if this is a legit older machine or just a “toy”.  If this is a legit older machine I would like to try to get it functioning again for him (even if he doesn't understand its use anymore...or maybe this is something he would possibly know how to use). 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Older machine help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 08:59:24 AM »
You have a Mills "Bursting Cherry" slot machine, circa 1937. It's absolutely not a toy in any way. It's a full-blown gambling slot machine.
First - common sense, but don't try forcing the handle down in any way. It's likely gummed up and/or jammed at the coin entry point or near the escalator (where you see the coins in that little window).
Do you have the key for the back door? That's the most important part because you must remove that door. Then, the entire mechanism will slide out. It might have a screw down lock somewhere at the base though.
I collect antique machines as well, by the way.  :yes:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline reactorpwr

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »
that is awesome news! i am unsure if they have the key, but push come to shove, i will bring it to a locksmith to pick it.  Once opened I will be able to tell you more.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 09:06:54 AM »
Too bad you aren't closer... I pick locks too.  :propeller: It shouldn't be hard to pick. Drilling out is the absolutely last resort because you might be destroying an original lock valued at $150 - $200. Any decent locksmith should be able to pick this. I know a man who can re-key it for you at a reasonable cost.
Keep me posted.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 12:48:13 PM »
reactorpwr,

Can you post a photo showing the back side of the game? If it has an original lock, I would try to save it. Also, it looks like the cabinet base is plywood (Not Original) if you have to that might be a way into the game.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 03:21:33 PM »
Ed
I should have added this ...
He replied by PM that there was no back door. I told him to look around to make sure it wasn't tucked away somewhere!
Good catch on the case!!! I didn't even notice that.  :duh:

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 03:26:10 PM »
Mark,

Thanks.  That is what I was wondering.  I could see light thru the escalator coin advance between the coins.

Offline reactorpwr

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 03:35:04 PM »
As requested and promised, additional pictures.  So, there is no sign of the rear door/cover.  Due to the loss of memory of the current owner, there isn't really a way to ask and get a good answer if there was one when he got it (years ago.)

Besides the rear cover/door being missing, I know for a fact that there isn't a coin "hopper" or catch can in the bottom right hand corner. I did see that someone was selling the coin catch cans on ebay.  If i can get everything else working and find or engineer a rear cover/door, then I will buy the catch can. 

I honestly think that this machine was functioning w/o issue at one point but due being opened in the rear, dust got into the gears and mechanisms of the machine and thus acts as sand whilst on/in the grease of the guts of the machine.  I won't be available to fully dive into this machine until Friday and then again on Sunday to look at the machine further.  If anyone has questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to leave them here.  If I have time on my other days, I will answer any questions or perform suggestions from the comments.  I'd like to take the time to everyone who has left comments so far.  I sincerely appreciate it.

Offline reactorpwr

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 03:36:05 PM »
oh, and to answer the question from earlier: yes it is plywood sides which has been painted black.

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 04:22:13 PM »
reactorpwr,

Thanks for the photos.  The sides of the cabinet do appear to be original.  The base of the cabinet has definitely been replaced with plywood.  It may have never had the original back door when your wife's grandfather had the game as there is no groove in the plywood base to retain it.  The original base probably rotted away or was damaged.  You are also, missing the handle pump assembly that would be on the left side opposite of the cash box.

You are probably correct that the dust and dirt got into the mech and is causing issues.  You may get by with a little cleaning and a few drops of 3in1 oil here and there.  But it's more likely you will need to do a tear down clean and re-lube.  You would be surprised with how hard some of the old grease can get.

Keep us updated on your progress.

I have attached a photo showing an original base with the groove for the door.  Also, you can see the handle pump in this photo.

Offline reactorpwr

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 04:28:01 PM »
Thanks for the additional info. In regards to the handle pump assembly, is this something I could possibly retrofit something else in its place since i most likely will not be able to find a working original or refurbished replacement?

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 04:35:01 PM »
 Handle pumps do come up on eBay.  They should not be too much.  Maybe $40-60 plus shipping.  You can try Jerry Linton for the parts you need.  I will PM his number.

Offline reactorpwr

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 06:37:03 AM »
So last night, i was able to take the top shell off the machine. Nothing appeared to be boogered up.  I bypassed the coin activator and was able to make the reels spin. The handle pull to activate machine required like a 1/4 turn pull, release to default position, and then full pull to enable reel spin/stop. I wish that i could feel what a normal machine handle pull actually feels and sounds like to compare against. I will try to get video of it later this evening to post. I need to dig in my change jar for nickels to fill the hopper and try operating without bypassing coin mechanism. 

I did reach out to Jerry but no response yet; however, I am not rushing for a response either. 

Offline reactorpwr

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 07:00:28 AM »
Jerry just contacted me. He knows what is wrong with the 1/4 turn pull already. He has all the parts on hand. I will be traveling to him in the next few months with the machine for grooming and repair. Thank you all.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 07:10:28 AM »
Jerry just contacted me. He knows what is wrong with the 1/4 turn pull already. He has all the parts on hand. I will be traveling to him in the next few months with the machine for grooming and repair. Thank you all.

Keep us posted (photos too) with the progress of this machine.  :yes:

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 07:45:35 AM »

Good to hear.  :cool_thumb_up:  He will get you up and running.  I just noticed on one of your photos you are missing a spring on a vertical payout finger for the "Cherry".  Make sure he replaces that too.

Offline Pinballwizard55

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Pinballwizard55 New User has no influence.
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 04:48:34 PM »
            jerry is the best, reasonable prices, and very fair in his dealings. just bought some parts for some of my mills projects, and am very satisfied,       The pinbal wizard.

Offline reactorpwr

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 10:54:11 AM »
Just an update; Mr. Jerry is now in possession of the machine for repairs.  ~1000 mile, single day, RT turn and burn trip, after a meet and greet with Mr. Jerry.  Wanted to make sure that 1. machine is even fixable, 2. cost to repair wasn't going to exceed the max value of the machine in its current physical condition but working.  As everyone stated previously, he is VERY knowledgeable on these machines (and most likely other stuff.)

The machine being repaired is not a rush job.  I will provide updates here on the machine repair status as he provides them to me.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and for learning me on Jerry.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal