New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: School me on this Mills Black Cherry please  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Fiddlehead

• Mike
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Fiddlehead New User has no influence.
  • NLG
School me on this Mills Black Cherry please
« on: November 13, 2022, 02:09:45 PM »
Greetings all,

I've recently come into a pair of Mills slots. I'd like folks' opinion on both. Any info is welcome - authenticity, value, date of manufacture, the works.

They are a 25 cent Castle Front and a 5 Cent Black Cherry.  This post is about the Black Cherry.

Did not find a serial number, either on the case, wood or sticker anywhere. Appears to have been painted (powder coated?), had the cherries repainted, and has a replacement award plate/bib. I believe the lock and key have been replaced, and it appears to have a replacement cash box. The machine works just fine.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: School me on this Mills Black Cherry please
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 06:02:22 PM »
The case and mechanism appear original to me. Great that it all works too. How much did you pay for this one?
And, again... hopefully member 63mini will chime in soon.

There's another website called "coinopcollectorforum.com" that deals exclusively with mechanical slots. Join that one! There's a lot of information already posted there. But there are a few of us highly intelligent guys here that love the old mechanical slots too!  :rotfl:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 09:34:38 AM »
Fiddlehead,

It doesn't appear that you need much schooling on these.  You seem to already know pretty much about these.  Yes, the award bib has been replaced with a reproduction and you would be missing a cast cherry that would go just above the jackpot window.  That cherry is slightly different than the other four.  The jackpot one can be identified as it had some spaces between the stem and cherries.

From your photos I can see you are also missing a couple of small parts (which are no big deal).  One is the drill plate on one side and the wooden partition between the cash box (which is a repro).  These were probably removed at some point when someone did a cabinet repair and/or painted the castings in the wrinkle finish black.

As for the paint that is up to you.  Personally, I do not like the wrinkle finish.  In my environment it is a major dust magnet and is too hard to clean.  I like the original hammered finish silver on those.

If the game plays and plays you may just enjoy it for a while and decide what you really want to do with it.  They look like a nice find.

Offline Pinballwizard55

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Pinballwizard55 New User has no influence.
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 10:12:08 AM »
Once again a nice find. they got it backwards though, the cabinet was originally painted gloss black and the plates should be be hammered metal silver. Also i would try to get  an original  front bib if possible, the repros just don,t do it justice. overall nice machine, enjoy ! The wizard.

Offline Fiddlehead

• Mike
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 02:52:19 PM »
As promised here are the lock & keys, along with the original lock which I found tucked nicely inside the cashbox.  Does anyone make keys to fit these old Mills locks? 

I'm still trying to decide what to do with these two machines.  They came from a close family friend.  She's in her 80's, and these belonged to her late husband. She doesn't know much about them or where he got them.

I'm either going to sell these for her, or keep one/both and buy it/them from her.  If I do decide to sell one or both, I need to decide whether to paint the 25c, or replace the award bib on the 5c.

Please keep the suggestions coming! I'm especially interested in what folks think these would bring, as I want to make sure she gets fair value.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 05:09:53 PM »
Ed might be able to make the key for that. Ed???
If not, Dave Berten, in NY IL, can do it. He's had health issues but he's back in business. It's well worth the money. If you do sell, you have to find a REAL collector who will know the added value of that original lock. Great you found it! That's a rare thing that the old lock was kept.  :yes:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:12:18 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • 63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!63mini Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 06:25:33 PM »
 shortrackskater,

I could re-key it but, I do not have any surplus keys to use.  Also, Dave Berten is in IL.  :yes:

Fiddlehead,

You can find spare keys on eBay.  Finding one with the same # would be short of a miracle.  You can purchase a non-matching key and disassemble lock and file down the pins to work with the replacement key.  There are a couple videos on YouTube that show you what you would need to do.

***Here is the link to the video. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:13:42 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Fiddlehead

• Mike
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 09:23:18 AM »
Thanks for the link to the video.  Good info here!  It's good to know rekeying is possible whether I do it or leave it for the next owner.

How do I ensure my friend gets fair value for these?  She's a close family friend and I would never take advantage of her.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 10:02:23 AM »
Slot machine values can be quite variable. It depends on a number of things such as location, scarcity, how bad someone wants it (if you had it in a auction, as an example.)
For antiques, location isn't quite the value-determining factor as it is for "newer" (EM, or MPU based) machines.
And, slot ownership legality varies state to state. It appears you're in Maine? Is that where the friend is as well?
Maine is cool! They allow any age machine to be privately owned.  :applause:
But in some cases, they can be harder to sell if they're in a non-legal state such as South Carolina or Tennessee. Bad bad states!  :no:
The machines you have aren't really rare, so to speak.  I'd think the Castle Front might be worth more than the Black Cherry but maybe Ed will chime in on this. Most machines like those I've seen sell in the range of $1500 - $2600, but there are determining factors like I mentioned above, along with how original the restoration is: original key/lock, cashbox, back cover, cash box cover etc.
You can look on eBay, Craigslist, offer up, etc frequently and see what other people are asking. But remember, someone on eBay might be asking $3000 for a Black Cherry but it doesn't mean he'll get that!
Hope this helps a little.

Offline 63mini

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 01:37:56 PM »
 Fiddlehead,

As shortrackskater has mentioned there are quite a few variables to consider.  If you are just looking for $ numbers, the best I can do is give you a window.  I feel that the Black Cherry could fetch between $600-$900.  The Castle Front could be $100-$200 more as they are a more desirable machine.  It all really depends on what someone would really pay and what they want to do with them.  They both could use some $ to bring them up to the next level.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal