New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Jennings Mints of Quality - My Grandpa's antique slot 2.0  (Read 24551 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 265
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Jennings Mints of Quality - My Grandpa's antique slot 2.0
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
That would be nice to get the delay pay working at some point. :thank_you:
I called a locksmith that, over the phone, the rep said they could pick it and make a key. I thought it would be worth the $20 service call. NOPE! Stupid idiot young guy... didn't even drive any kind of car/van that signified "locksmith." He fussed with some picking tools and couldn't get it open.
I found what seems to be a reputable place nearby and I'm going to bring the slot in on Friday.
In the meantime, I carefully picked away some REALLY OLD newspaper behind the middle glass. I can see the top of the lock, but I have no idea if I can do anything from this area.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »
When this lock gets opened could there be old coins inside that area? Not to be untrusting but if so you might want to be there while the locksmith opens it.

[that paper you found shown in photo #2 looks kinda like an old Canadian $10,000 bill]    :wave:
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
That's why the first shop, before I tried the mobile moron, lost my business since they said I couldn't watch!
Yes I absolutely will be present  :yes:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 10:44:14 AM »
That's why the first shop, before I tried the mobile moron, lost my business since they said I couldn't watch!

Probably didn't want you to see their tricks of the trade, or how easy it actually is with the right tools & experience.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Jackpot

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Jackpot New User barely matters.Jackpot New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • The Sugar Shack Antique coin operated machines
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
You could just tell them you want to be present before it is opened, right after they get the lock to turn by picking it. I think they just don't want you to see how screwed up they are while picking it, trying to pick it. If that Yale lock has told stool or mushroom pins mixed in with the regular pins, you could be waiting a very long time.
Jackpot :drool04: :drool04: :drool04:
Buy-Sale-Repair-Restore old slot machines. I have parts for older mechanical slots, and also Bally E series, and others of this period and newer. http://www.coinslots.com

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
Did that mobile guy still charge the housecall fee after he couldn't open it?

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »
Yes he wanted the money. I think this entire company is a scam. I'll look it up and post the name later, to warn anyone else!

BUT... back to the matter at hand. No one commented on my reply #20.  Does anyone know if I can do anything with the lock at that point? I posted pictures.

http://quicklocksmith247.com
NEVER use this company. SCAM. "Locksmiths" drive a CAR, NO tools but just a set of pick tools. I was expecting a VAN with locksmith stuff in it.
They're probably BURGLARS (or terrorists in training since he spoke Arabic on his cell phone the entire time) freelancing day jobs.
FRUSTRATING AS HELL. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:53:57 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
Yes he wanted the money. I think this entire company is a scam. I'll look it up and post the name later, to warn anyone else!

BUT... back to the matter at hand. No one commented on my reply #20.  Does anyone know if I can do anything with the lock at that point? I posted pictures.

http://quicklocksmith247.com
NEVER use this company. SCAM. "Locksmiths" drive a CAR, NO tools but just a set of pick tools. I was expecting a VAN with locksmith stuff in it.
They're probably BURGLARS (or terrorists in training since he spoke Arabic on his cell phone the entire time) freelancing day jobs.
FRUSTRATING AS HELL.

If you can't take it to a locksmith, then I wonder if you can break the lock by trying to pry the lock cylinder off or forward from the locks back, maybe by prying in that slot you see in your photo. Of course this would ruin the lock and you would have to look on ebay for an original lock or use an aftermarket lock.
Jackpot
Buy-Sale-Repair-Restore old slot machines. I have parts for older mechanical slots, and also Bally E series, and others of this period and newer. http://www.coinslots.com

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 01:02:17 PM »
I have seen old slot key for sale before. Are there any makings / numbers on the face of the lock where you put the key into?
If so that number will help you in locating the correct key.

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
Not really, just an old Yale lock from a slot machine and key will fit, the old original Yale locks have a longer cylinder then the reproduction locks, they may work OK but the key hole will be more recessed into the lock hole. A good old Yale lock might cost you around 60 bucks on ebay on average. if you decide to go that route you could send me the auction number and I'll be happy to take a look at it to see if I think it will work OK on your machine. Do you have any locksmith store fronts in your area that you could take you machine in to have them try to pick your lock?
Jackpot

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »
Thanks again everyone ...
I did find another local locksmith and I'm hoping to bring it to him this Monday. He spoke English too! And he's fine with me being there.
Ill post back Monday. Hope to get into this and get it running smoothly. I think it needs some oil or something. Occasional one reel doesn't lock on to the stop line. And it would be cool to get that delay working too. Heck... I need some fake mints for the front!  :rotfl:

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 11:23:03 PM »
Thanks again everyone ...
I did find another local locksmith and I'm hoping to bring it to him this Monday. He spoke English too! And he's fine with me being there.
Ill post back Monday. Hope to get into this and get it running smoothly. I think it needs some oil or something. Occasional one reel doesn't lock on to the stop line. And it would be cool to get that delay working too. Heck... I need some fake mints for the front!  :rotfl:
Great! I have the fake mints also so let us know how Monday works out for you. You might tell the guy that this look could have a spool pin or tow in it, I remembered the proper name for that special pin some Yale looks use.
Jackpot :wave:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »
I finally found a real locksmith, but he's tied up with a big job right now...so I wait.
In the meantime, I just noticed something that I can't believe I didn't notice before. My grandpas slot has a metal lower front. Mine is wood!

Offline ramegoom

• Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »
Your family machine looks like it might be a cross between the "Dutch Boy" and the Mints of Quality. Appears to have the Dutch Boy lower front panel.

Many of the Jennings machines shared the same dimensions and even with the revamps, most parts were interchangeable. Even the gooseneck internals were interchangeable.

My guess is your original family machine was a hybrid.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 07:50:44 PM »
 :thank_you:
Interesting to know!!
I sure wish I knew where my grandpa's machine ended up. Last seen was in Washington, somewhere. My cousin had a little substance issue so I have feeling it was probably traded for something smoked, snorted or drank!

Offline ramegoom

• Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 05:48:04 AM »
Keep an eye out for your machine. It probably wound up in a collector's den, and eventually will surface.

You realize that these machines multiply. One is never enough, once you start with them. And you have officially started.

Ask anyone here on the forum about their "addiction".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 09:18:38 AM »
The Jennings was slot number...17!! 
The addiction started a while back.  :drool04:  I didn't count my Mills vest pockets yet. 3 that work, and a few more in various parts. If all goes well I'm selling a Game Maker and my loved/hated EVO soon. :applause:
It's been probably 30 years since that blurry picture was taken though. I'm okay in not finding it, now that I have something nearly identical. I think my grandpa and uncle would be happy.

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »
The Jennings was slot number...17!! 
The addiction started a while back.  :drool04:  I didn't count my Mills vest pockets yet. 3 that work, and a few more in various parts. If all goes well I'm selling a Game Maker and my loved/hated EVO soon. :applause:
It's been probably 30 years since that blurry picture was taken though. I'm okay in not finding it, now that I have something nearly identical. I think my grandpa and uncle would be happy.
I live in Washington, I wish I could track it down for you, any idea of where in Washington it could have gone to?
Jackpot

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
Hi jackpot
She appears to be in the Tacoma area, but I have no idea where she was when the slot "went missing." She's been in that area for many years though.
I remember asking my sister about her around ten years ago and that's when I found out that the slot had mysteriously disappeared. And THAT blurry picture is the only record of it that I know of.
I would play that machine for HOURS in my grandpas "rumpus room" in Pasadena when I was around 7 years old. Too bad my parents or grandparents never took a picture of me then!! Loved them all but they were all smoking and drinking in the house probably!

Offline Jackpot

• NLG
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »
Good to know, like you, I bet it is long gone but if someone has it and they run it in Craigs list or something I might see it, If I ever do, I'll be right there to let you know.
Thanks
Jackpot :cool_thumb_up:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal