New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 5 reel to 3 reel conversion requirements  (Read 2256 times)

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
5 reel to 3 reel conversion requirements
« on: May 13, 2023, 09:54:59 AM »
To convert a Alpha1 five reel to a three reel I know that the proper reels and the corresponding reel shelf would be required, my question is would I need to change the backplane board and is anything else required that I'm not thinking of? Wiring harnesses, PCB boards, etc..
There are some shady people in this world, stay in the light...

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 235
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: 5 reel to 3 reel conversion requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 10:26:16 AM »
Reel shelf does not need changed (has slots for 3, 4 or 5 reels) but the reel bar/harness at top where they plug in will need changed to 3 reel.  I believe the RCU board is the same, I don't have a 5 reel here to check. Also will need 3 reel glass.

Offline mr-monoxide

• mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 11:02:32 AM »
Cool deal, that seems straight forward. Now I just need to acquire the referenced parts. Thanks for the reply.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:25:01 AM »
Cool deal, that seems straight forward. Now I just need to acquire the referenced parts. Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking about doing the same, but changing my 3 reel to 5 reel. Not sure if anything is different with the reel door?  That may be different for wider window area?  Can you post a pic of inside of your reel door?

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 12:43:04 PM »
Here you go..

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 01:24:35 PM »
Looks like the end led mounting brackets are longer on 3 reel:

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 02:04:37 PM »
Looks like the end led mounting brackets are longer on 3 reel:

Yes I see what you're talking about, to orient the light boards correctly. Seems to be the only difference I can notice as far as the reel door is concerned.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 03:09:29 PM »
There is a 5 reel RCU board on ebay and the number is the same as the one in my 3 reel.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 04:15:01 PM »
That's great info. Thank you! If you do your conversion and you need a 5 reel game then let me know, I've got probably 5 or 6 complete kits, possibly more that I've forgotten about as it's been a minute since I've gone through all my extra parts.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 10:51:59 PM »
That's great info. Thank you! If you do your conversion and you need a 5 reel game then let me know, I've got probably 5 or 6 complete kits, possibly more that I've forgotten about as it's been a minute since I've gone through all my extra parts.
Thanks, I still have a cherry red kit (bullseye bonus) and another one too.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 12:03:11 PM »
I've done that a few times, but it's been a while since I did my last one.  I'm pretty sure these are the parts that are different, other than the control bar where the Reels plug in, all are parts from the reel window.

1.  3 reel control bar where the reels plug in.
2.  The LED bar that lights up the reels from top and is located behind the reel glass is 3 reel specific.
3.  The payline brackets are different. (longer)
4.  The actual reels are wider, you need 3 (this is obvious).
5.  Reel glass (also obvious).

Everything else is the same.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 12:45:40 PM »
I've done that a few times, but it's been a while since I did my last one.  I'm pretty sure these are the parts that are different, other than the control bar where the Reels plug in, all are parts from the reel window.

1.  3 reel control bar where the reels plug in.
2.  The LED bar that lights up the reels from top and is located behind the reel glass is 3 reel specific.
3.  The payline brackets are different. (longer)
4.  The actual reels are wider, you need 3 (this is obvious).
5.  Reel glass (also obvious).

Everything else is the same.
Thanks for that info.  Looks like I missed #2.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 02:50:49 PM »
Again, excellent information. Thank you. I want to do this but I need to find a game that has the three reels backlit all the time and the required parts of course.

Offline a69mopar

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 83
  • a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
    • www.gtaslots.com
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 03:24:40 PM »
I've done a number of the 5 to 3 and 3 to 5 reel swaps this year, mainly so the 5 reel has the bigger monitor.  On all of these the top light on the reel glass was the same.  Perhaps some are different,  but none of these. 
Pics below
Thanks,
Wayne

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 03:37:14 PM »
I've done a number of the 5 to 3 and 3 to 5 reel swaps this year, mainly so the 5 reel has the bigger monitor.  On all of these the top light on the reel glass was the same.  Perhaps some are different,  but none of these. 
Pics below
Thanks,
Wayne

That's interesting because like you I also thought they were all the same but I've never had a three real Alpha. I wonder if there's a difference regarding the specific year the machine was built?

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 08:14:44 PM »
Again, excellent information. Thank you. I want to do this but I need to find a game that has the three reels backlit all the time and the required parts of course.
One of the 3 reel QHs I have keeps them lit all the time.  I will have to check my other games but I think they all do to keep the background gray.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:29 PM »
One of the 3 reel QHs I have keeps them lit all the time.  I will have to check my other games but I think they all do to keep the background gray.
A QH game that's backlit is exactly what I'm looking for. If you get a chance please let me know which game that is. Also if you can point me in the direction where I may be able to aquire that game or another QH like it I would be most grateful.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 03:43:58 AM »
This is the same game.  I may have a kit to sell.  This is not my machine:

That would be awesome, please let me know..

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 10:09:47 AM »
It's not the length that's the issue.  The actual pcb for the leds is different.  There are 5 clusters in a 5 reel bar, and only 3 clusters on the 3 reel bar.  The actual mounting hardware is identical, the difference is the pcb with the leds on it.  Attached photos that show the difference.  Pay attention to the clusters of components on top of the pcb.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal