New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Triple Lucky 7's - Coin-in Jam error, button deck doesn't work  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Archilea

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Archilea New User has no influence.
  • Newb
So, just as I thought I had my errors behind me, the machine starts up and gives me a "Coin-In Jam" and "Closure MB" message.  Ugh. I turn the key, and "1.Accounting" shows on the VFD, but I cannot navigate through the menus (The buttons don't work any more).

This machine was working minutes ago, and I played through hundreds of credits. Now, it suddenly seems wacky. After restarting it multiple times, it gave me a bill handling error (Sorry I don't remember exact error), and after playing around with the bill handling device it seems to have gone back to "Coin-in Jam".

I think that it's an I/O card, but which one? Does the same card handle the button deck and the coin handling? I have one coming (Thanks, Ron).

Oh, and the machine is coinless. It has no coin related items at all.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 05:28:02 PM by Archilea »

Offline Archilea

• Newb
Re: Triple Lucky 7's - Coin-in Jam error, button deck doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 03:24:24 PM »
I received a cabinet I/O board, and tried it - no luck.

I swapped the two door I/O boards, same error and no button functions.

So then I removed the two door I/O boards, one at a time, and powered on - Same "Coin-in Jam" error message even with each board disconnected. (One at a time, powered off to plug/unplug them)

Any ideas? 
I have a 502 MB, with LOTS of wire jumpers soldered onto it... I'm wondering if it has been fixed in the past, or if this was normal for 502 boards.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:44:12 AM by Archilea »

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:52:11 PM »
Some had factory jumper wires installed for changes made after the boards were printed.  It sounds like yours has a problem.  Since you already replaced the I/O boards it's the next in line to be replaced.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 405
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 05:52:41 PM »
Did you at any point, pull out or install the MPU or any other board (including i/o cards) while the power switch was on?

I found what happens is a small IC chip will blow up....look at all the imbedded chips on all of your boards.

It may look like a small tiny volcano bowl on top blown off...very easy to miss.

The other thing that happens is small imbedded fuses will blow internally from a power surge - rendering a circuit board useless until found and repaired.

Another thing that happens is one or two male pins on the MPU, or I/O boards will miss the females holes slightly, bend and short - rendering the button deck un-abled due to data not knowing where to go in the system....check ALL of your pins under/behind all boards.

If you did not do any of this, then the fault may lay with the old-as-dirt 502 MPU board....time to upgrade.
502 MPU's are past their lifetimes and fewer and fewer work like when they were first fabricated.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Archilea

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
When I first got it, I did pull cards in and out, and it's possible that the power switch was on - however two things make me think that this is not a factor:
  • When I did that, the power supply was dead - no lights or activity of any sort. Power supply was replaced after this and I was careful not to do it again.
  • The machine worked flawlessly for at least a day just before failure. I left it powered on for 2 days (No playing, just sitting there), and I came back to the error.
I have inspected each I/O board for bad parts, cold solder joints, bent pins, etc. and did not see any issues. I briefly looked at the 502 board for issues and didn't see any. I'll look again.

Questions:
  • What is the recommended replacement for the 502? Is it a 1270 or a 504? 
  • Anybody selling one? :)  And what's the going rate?
  • Can I transfer the SB chips, etc., to keep this game?
  • Since I cannot navigate menus (Buttons don't work) I can't read out the settings in it now... May need some advice on settings when I get there. :)
  • Are these things always this touchy? Am I in for a lifetime of troubleshooting and fixes? I hope not...
Thanks again for your help. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:52:32 AM by Archilea »

Offline lookes

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:44:17 AM »
Did you replace the door I/O boards, or just swap them? I don't believe they are the same.
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline Archilea

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 09:50:51 AM »
I did 3 things:
  • Swap the two boards (Both had the larger connector) (Same error)
  • Powered down, removed 1 board on door, powered up - then repeat with other board on door (Same error)
  • Swapped out the board on the side of the 502 bracket with smaller connector (Same error)
Same error in all cases (Coin-In Jam). Buttons do not work in all cases.

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »
I've been playing around with my S2000 3R1L3CM Double Diamond Haywire for about 16 years now....still works great and has never had any part replacements at all....running on quarters and a WBA bill acceptor.
Almost every week or so, I play off all my one dollar bills I collect and empty that cash box about twice a year and bring all the ones to the bank. :cool_thumb_up:

This part bothers me ...>>>"and after playing around with the bill handling device it seems to have gone back to "Coin-in Jam"."

Can you recall exactly what you did?

That would help a lot.  :yes:

How about going into the settings and disabling the bill acceptor for the moment, drop a coin into the coin acceptor and see what happens? See if you get the coin-in jam error still?

You can always re-enable the bill acceptor afterwards.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Archilea

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 02:38:28 PM »
I had previously gone through and verified connections, checked for obvious pins bent or shorts, etc. and during that I managed to eject the bill handler. I pulled it out and went over it, opened it up and did a quick check to familiarize myself with it, then put it back. The error on startup changed from "Coin-in Jam" to a bill handling error, so I turned it off and re-checked the bill handler - and the error returned to Coin-in Jam.  I think I just didn't have it seated all the way in and closed up as it should be.

This machine has no coin handling at all. It is bills/ticket only. That's why Coin-in Jam is so weird.

And I can't do anything in the menus - The buttons don't work. (They used to before the error). :Scratch-Head:

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 04:09:04 PM »
When the buttons don't work, that usually means something is shorted.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 04:22:08 PM »
Do your reels spin backwards on boot?

Offline Archilea

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
They spin top to bottom, right to left - as they should.

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 04:35:43 PM »
One of your senet devices is bad. You can try following this video. I would watch the video entirely and if your confused by the direction don't try it.
Igt s2000 slot machine Senet diagnostic process
https://youtu.be/0wtvQSst3n8

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 06:00:20 PM »
Those two 14-pin Molex plugs that go to the forward and back I/O cards for 2-row button decks on the door panel is exactly what newbies get mixed up about...esp when there's a 9-line display panel on the reel glass.

I've seen many times the 9-line display panel harness running to the back I/O card....wrong!

In the video, the fella never mentioned that the buffer on the 801 I/O card was completely blown at the [C5] location.... :rotfl:

You'll only see it for a brief second in the video.....I took a screenshot of it! lol

Click on screenshot to enlarge if needed to see blown chip...>>>

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 06:11:35 PM »
Those two 14-pin Molex plugs that go to the forward and back I/O cards for 2-row button decks on the door panel is exactly what newbies get mixed up about...esp when there's a 9-line display panel on the reel glass.

I've seen many times the 9 -line display panel harness running to the back I/O card....wrong!

In the video, the fella never mentioned that the buffer on the 801 I/O card was completely blown.... :rotfl: You'll only see it for a brief second in the video.....I took a screenshot of it! lol

No buffers were harmed in the making of that video. I used a bad door card just to make that video. The game was fully functional before i purposely broke it.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 06:13:16 PM »
oh okay! That explains why they worked! haha Thanks!

Awesome testing video for checking out Senet problems by the way!!  :cool_thumb_up:

I didn't look at the schematics...was it a buffer or a fuse blown at [C5]?

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 06:24:26 PM »
Thats a capacitor they are one of the most common failures on door cards.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 06:35:57 PM »
Thats a capacitor they are one of the most common failures on door cards.
Thank you...I should order some caps and repair a few down cards I have. Awessome! :cool_thumb_up:

Offline Archilea

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 07:01:43 PM »
HEY! Let's keep this about me guys. :D    :Crazy:

I will look at it first chance I get. Thank you.

I did carefully examine U62 on the MPU for any visible faults, none there... And it sounds like I need to check the molex connectors too.  That wouldn't make sense to me though, because it was working and then stopped, and I *know* I didn't change anything in between, since I finally had a working machine.  I wouldn't jinx it like that. :)

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 07:09:58 PM »
haha yup!
In many ways, it is about your problem that you're having!
You learn a lot from the guys chatting about slot stuff around here!....in the end, you'll be wishing we did this more often!! haha
Someday you will blow out a card and this is how you fix it!  :cool_thumb_up: But your wiring is suspect too because it's an "unseen" thing under the covering.
We slot guys check EVERYTHING!!  :yes:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal