New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: J8 on mother board pin out? Help bringing it back to life!  (Read 1581 times)

Offline PhillyArcade

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • PhillyArcade New User has no influence.
  • NLG
J8 on mother board pin out? Help bringing it back to life!
« on: August 27, 2022, 04:43:52 PM »
Hello, I picked up this round top and was dead. Just bulbs lighting up. I found the battery made a small mess. Looks like it fell off the board at some point when it blew up slightly and landed on the MB eating up a trace there. I know what are the odds! Cleaned it up, replaced the battery, and the board will work in another one of my know working slot machines but nothing in the round top. I get a quick blip of a 0 on the winner paid on power up and that's it. I also plugged in a known working board from another machine I have and same thing, blip 0 on winner paid and that's it. No reel movement but the reels do lock on power up.

I think it might be the power supply but I need the pin out on J8 and I've found a few variations but I want to make sure because so far it seems dead to me. The battery damage ate a trace that I fixed on the mother board and I just wanted to confirm what voltages are on the pins to see if my power supply is causing the issue. Few pics for reference..  Thanks!
Just living some memories of the 90's playing these old IGT S plus tanks

Offline slots4home

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 94
  • slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!
  • NLG
Re: J8 on mother board pin out? Help bringing it back to life!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 05:48:34 PM »
That battery on the processing board looks like it might have done some damage but cannot tell exactly.
The power supply rarely is the problem other than the plug that runs from the motherboard to the power supply.

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:21:38 AM »
That battery on the processing board looks like it might have done some damage but cannot tell exactly.
The power supply rarely is the problem other than the plug that runs from the motherboard to the power supply.

There was a burnt pin on the molex connector from the power supply and a broken trace on that connector on the MB. I replaced the molex connector with a brand new one and changed out the header pins on the MB as well. I was hoping to find what's on that molex connector from the power supply to the MB just so I can confirm with my meter. 

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 10:58:52 AM »
Well I found a pin-out on line that I think is correct and it looks like the transformer/power supply might be my issue after all. If I'm correct the pin out reads...

Pin
1 should be 24VAC - I'm getting 0 VAC
2 should be 7 + 8VAC - I'm getting 0 VAC
3 should be 7VAC - I'm getting 7.46VAC
4 should be 8VAC - I'm getting 8.85VAC
5 should be 24VAC - I'm getting 12.99VAC
6 should be 24VAC - I'm getting 12.96VAC

Can anyone confirm? Again this is pin J8 on the MB. Thanks!

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 12:01:52 PM »

There was a burnt pin on the molex connector from the power supply and a broken trace on that connector on the MB. I replaced the molex connector with a brand new one and changed out the header pins on the MB as well. I was hoping to find what's on that molex connector from the power supply to the MB just so I can confirm with my meter.

Got a better pic of the new battery on board. I plugged it into one of my other machines and it's stuck in the 61 loop I'm going to clear chip it in the other machine tomorrow and see how it works.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
try this
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 06:38:24 AM »
try this

Well I guess that confirms what I found on line for sure and it's looking like the transformer lost some windings. I found that same sheet and here is my findings on those pins...

Pin
1 should be 24VAC - I'm getting 0 VAC
2 should be 7 + 8VAC - I'm getting 0 VAC
3 should be 7VAC - I'm getting 7.46VAC
4 should be 8VAC - I'm getting 8.85VAC
5 should be 24VAC - I'm getting 12.99VAC
6 should be 24VAC - I'm getting 12.96VAC

Online lookes

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 07:01:29 AM »
Those look correct if you are measuring to the chassis. (ground)
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 07:15:53 AM »
Those look correct if you are measuring to the chassis. (ground)

Yup! One lead on the chassis ground braid and the other on the pins. I guess because 1 and 2 are dead that's why she won't boot. I know it's rare for a transformer to go bad but I think this one might have had some water damage at one point as well. I know transformers and water don't get along to well!  :EmoticonHelp4:

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
1 is the common for 5 and 6. 2 is common for 3 and 4. Not chassis

the rockin elvis

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 09:12:33 AM »
You have other issues causing your machine not to boot!!  your power supply module is in fact providing the correct ac voltages to the motherboard.

Have to clarify a few things.
AC voltages are measured differently than DC voltages. To get an accurate measurement you should use the respective AC common from the transformer to measure the voltage.
for the s plus transformer here are the correct voltages and nomenclature for each respective voltage.

pin 1 is a green wire, it is the 24 vac center tap of the transformer, it is at zero voltage, if you place one lead on the pin 1 and measure to pin 5 ( orange/green wire) you should read approx. 12vac, likewise pin 1 to pin 6 ( solid orange wire ) you will read approx. 12 vac. if you put your meter leads on pin 5 and 6 you will read 24vac.

pin 2  is a common for the 7 vac and 8 vac voltage. again one lead to pin 2 and the other to pin 3 (blue wire) you should read approx. 7vac,  likewise pin 2 to pin 4 ( brown/blue wire) you should read approx. 8vac.

you can read these with the hopper removed, and placing your meter leads into the opening of the six pin plug.

from what you posted your readings are correct, nothing wrong with your transformer or the module itself, it is doing what it should be doing!

sounds like the cpu isn't running , but your problem is elsewhere.  maybe the motherboard ?

tell us what happens when you apply power, reels stiff, any display, picture of motherboard connections, more info you give us the more we can help.

Hope this helps

Jim 

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 09:48:14 AM »
Thanks Jim, didn't have time for long post

the rockin elvis

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 10:00:06 AM »
You have other issues causing your machine not to boot!!  your power supply module is in fact providing the correct ac voltages to the motherboard.

AC voltages are measured differently than DC voltages. To get an accurate measurement you should use the respective AC common from the transformer to measure the voltage.
for the s plus transformer here are the correct voltages and nomenclature for each respective voltage.

pin 1 is a green wire, it is the 24 vac center tap of the transformer, it is at zero voltage, if you place one lead on the pin 1 and measure to pin 5 ( orange/green wire) you should read approx. 12vac, likewise pin 1 to pin 6 ( solid orange wire ) you will read approx. 12 vac. if you put your meter leads on pin 5 and 6 you will read 24vac.

pin 2  is a common for the 7 vac and 8 vac voltage. again one lead to pin 2 and the other to pin 3 (blue wire) you should read approx. 7vac,  likewise pin 2 to pin 4 ( brown/blue wire) you should read approx. 8vac.

you can read these with the hopper removed, and placing your meter leads into the opening of the six pin plug.

from what you posted your readings are correct, nothing wrong with your transformer or the module itself, it is doing what it should be doing!

sounds like the cpu isn't running , but your problem is elsewhere.  maybe the motherboard ?

tell us what happens when you apply power, reels stiff, any display, picture of motherboard connections, more info you give us the more we can help.

Hope this helps

Jim

Jim and Elvis thanks so much for your input! I was just working on the machine and have an update. So I took the CPU out of my Double Diamond (machine I'm working on that's dead) and put it in my Red White and Blue same era machine. Originally came up with 12 dead battery, installed a new battery, code 61 came up then, did the clear 123 chip procedure and came up 65 1, press the white button twice turn jackpot key etc and boom the board for the Double Diamond is now working as it should in my Red White and Blue taking 5 coins. Sound works played a handful of games on it no issues. So at this point we know we have a fully working CPU.

On power up, the reels energize and bulbs come on and I get a quick blink of a number on the winner paid led display and that's it. All reels do stay energized while powered on.

I have to run out to a doctors appointment but when I come back I'll test the leads as you posted. I'm using a Fluke MM. I work on pinball and arcade games. I'm no pro but I can get around power a little. :) So your post should help me big time when I get back in the machine again later today!

The mother board... when I got the machine the molex connector going into J8 on the MB had some burnt pins and a few green ones. When I got the machine, that connector was unplugged. So I plugged it in, powered the machine up and sure enough it got hot fast. Killed power and pulled MB to find a broken trace off of J8. I repaired that with a leg off a cap, installed new header on J8 and a new molex connector using Trifurcon Crimp Terminals. The nice part for testing is the header pin is so long I installed, I can pull it up a little bit just enough to get my meter probe on the pins while it's still connected. Pic below of the repaired MB. I tested all traces and everything seemed fine on the MB. I also cleaned all other connectors both ends. The more I type the more I'm thinking maybe I'm dealing with some other MB issue here. Broken trace etc.

Thing that drives me nuts is I know I'm so close! Thanks again for your input and help!

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 05:49:49 PM »

Hope this helps

Jim

Well sure enough all those voltages are correct on that J8 connector you posted! So my transformer is good. Deff the mother board since I have the CPU working in another machine. The connector to the left of J8 don't look too well might be some traces there bad or the connector. I don't know how far I want to dig into this MB. I'll tone it out as many traces as I can but that 40 pin connector don't look too happy. Any suggestions on where to buy a new MB? Thanks again for the help!

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 05:56:07 PM »
Place a want to buy on the classified page. Someone had some recently

the rockin elvis

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 06:14:27 PM »
Place a want to buy on the classified page. Someone had some recently

Dontated my $10 to the page and posted! :) Thanks! Knowing me I'll be tinkering with this one tomorrow and get it working!  :rotfl: Thanks again for the help! Fun to keep learning on these old tanks!

Offline PhillyArcade

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2022, 06:00:09 PM »
Thanks again Elivs and Jim for the help! You guys helped bring back the Double Diamond! Well Jim with his motherboard did it all!  :hail: Thanks for the hardware as well Jim I actually needed it mine screws and the stud were pretty much trashed! But here she is up and doing her thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dSWO0HR98&lc=UgxVCuACl7B2-lbjERd4AaABAg

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2022, 06:12:05 PM »
Good job. Another machine back to life

the rockin elvis

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2022, 05:05:38 PM »
Glad everything worked.  Enjoy the machine.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal