New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Game King Monitor Fading  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Game King Monitor Fading
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
Kenneth Risenhoover

IGT Game King Fading Monitor Problems
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upon turning on the machine........I see very lite, white diagonal lines........color is good and graphics are somewhat clear. The monitor slowly fades over time. Colors are not as bright........Graphics blur and diagonal white lines are more pronounced. After about an hour........the monitor's picture stops degrading. I have included 3 photos.

The first is when the machine is first turned on.
The second and third are about an hour later.

Short of buying another monitor..........what have you guys got to say about this? Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:06:39 AM by Tilt »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Game King Monitor Fading
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
DJH

Re: IGT Game King Fading Monitor Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are retrace lines from the flyback power being turned up to high (Knob on flyback transformer)

Sounds like you need to resolder the flyback legs or you cold have a cold solder joint / hairline crack that heats up and expands causing the degrade in picture.

There is also a focus knob on the flyback transformer

lagbest

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »   

They are retrace lines but lowering the screen is just a temporary fixed.

It look to me that after the monitor is on for a while that the auto bias is kicking in to compasate and creating the retrace line.

First I need the model of the monitor to be accurate.  On most monitor the problem come from the secondary of the power supply.  Most of the time it is only one cap or two.

The most common cap value are 470uf at 35v and 1000uf at 35v.

Give me the model number of the monitor chassis and I will tell you which cap to change.

I repair a lot of monitors on Williams and IGT, so let me know if this help.

Thanks.

Denis.

Kenneth Risenhoover

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:28:56 AM »   

Denis,

I have a Ceronix Model 2093 serial number 469656. Which caps usually need replaced? I found a PCB on Happ and if I read correctly......the PCB is $233.00 really do not want to go that route. If replacing caps will fix my problem........I would rather go that route........LOL.....I have more time than money......PLUS....it is always fun to tinker....LOL.

Thanks
Kenny

kenokarz

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »   

if you call ceronix they will repair for 45.00 that includes the parts .

Kenneth Risenhoover

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »   

Really! That would be great. I will call them tomorrow.......I already found their website and saw a complete PCB with tube board and flyback for $95.00 but I have to install it. I would rather them do it if it is that cheap. i wonder if they could ship me a carton to ship it to them in?

Kenneth Risenhoover

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »   

Just to update this thread........I spoke with kenokarz for about 20 minutes this morning........and I described to him what my monitor was doing again.

To clarify....upon intial power up.....the screen is black with those white diagonal lines.......then the little blue window opens and says "System Initializing"........then the screen comes on and looks good.........the white lines are barely noticable at this time. Over the next hour........the color fades and as it fades AND blurs.......the white diagonal retrace lines become more pronounced.

kenokarz said that these symptoms are classic for when the gain on the flyback is too high and overdriving the monitor. I will try and adjust this poteniometer when I get home and post results. On my flyback.....the gain is the bottom knob and the top is for focus.

midas

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »   

Hi, Kenneth,
Try using compressed air to blow the dust off all the monitor electronics and picture tube.
Make the flyback adjustments after the dusting and after about 1/2 hour of warm-up.
If you don't have an extension cable to remove the monitor from the cabinet for adjusting the flyback, you will have to power down the machine, remove the monitor, make a small adjustment, install, then power up again.  and repeat. 
A little bit time consuming. 

I had to do this on both my Game Kings as the pictures were like yours and on one it took 45 minutes for colors to come on.
After dusting and adjusting, they've been working fine ever since.  I think the dust was acting as a short.

Haven't had time yet to get to the photos of the other project. soon, tho.

Kenneth Risenhoover

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »   

Thanks Midas! I will try that. When you get the time..........Send me those pics and measurements for the WBA conversion we spoke about.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
Re: Game King Monitor Fading
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
Kenneth Risenhoover

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 03:30:40 PM »   

Ok.......I adjusted the flyback gain and focus and it has been over an hour. What do you think? I think I can get it even better with a liitle more work on the focus......too tired!

I would like to extend special thanks to all that helped me.....midas.....kenokarz.....lagbest.....DJH.......and Ken @ Ohio Gaming. I am going to need all of your help in the future as I am new to the video format.

Edit: The couple of strange looking areas on the screen are reflections of the pool table light and another slot machine! I am very pleased with the results! My monitor is 20" and looks great now.

kenokarz

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »   

looks great  glad we could help and it looks like it save you a few bucks    -with the money you save you can buy the wife something else
like a new slot project just for you   

thedotster

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:39:01 PM »   

Quote from: Kenneth Risenhoover on January 04, 2008, 03:30:40 PM
Ok.......I adjusted the flyback gain and focus and it has been over an hour. What do you think?
Where are these two knobs located and which is which, I think I may have the same problem.

Paul

kenokarz

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 07:26:28 PM »   

they are located on the flyback, very high voltage    could be a long process because you have to pull the monitor and try and but it back in and check it  unless you have a test harness that will let you run the monitor out of the machine,

DJH

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »   

Quote from: kenokarz on February 28, 2008, 07:26:28 PM
they are located on the flyback, very high voltage    could be a long process because you have to pull the monitor and try and but it back in and check it  unless you have a test harness that will let you run the monitor out of the machine,

On most GK monitors they are dual focus so it's a 2 knob adjustment, I have had some success doing the pulling adjusting but went for the test harness as it's near impossible to get it perfect doing it that way.

thedotster

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »   

All sorted now, many thanks for your help.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:08:12 AM by Tilt »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal