New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Faulty I game board...my fault?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Faulty I game board...my fault?
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
Hi,

My I game board had a problem so I sent it to a technician, I was said my board was ok but the eprroms were corrupt. He changed them and I was said the board was ok.

When I got the parcel today, something had come off the board, see picture, at the bottom, in the middle ( the black "square" called "3INXlNX"), I do not know if I put it back the right way.

Could anyone tell me? Could anyone tell me the role of this " square" and could that cause the board not to work properly?

In case, it is not put properly, how can I remove the damn thing?

Thanks a lot.

CYRIL1973

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Faulty I game board...my fault?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
Hard to see since the picture is not that big. But generally all of the chips are put in the same direction, so that looks good. Also, one of the corners should have a beveled edge that should match up with a bevel in the socket. This is supposed to keep someone from plugging it in wrong. It's not foolproof though. But I'm sure someone else can verify it for sure.

poppo

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »

It's installed backwards.  In your photo the XILINX words are upside down.  Pull the chip out, rotate it 180 degrees, and re-install it.  The XILINX should appear as you would normally read it.  If you look carefully you'll see there's one of the corners is slightly cut off in a diagonal / (or bevel as poppo stated) that indicates where pin 1 is .  On your socket you'll notice a matching cut off corner.  After you fix that keep your fingers crossed that you didn't damage the chip if you powered it up as shown.

I take you you probably don't have a PLCC chip puller? The next easiest way of pulling it is to get a couple of paper clips, straighten them out, and make a small 90 bend on the ends, it should look like an L when you're done.  Insert one into the upper right corner of the chip socket and the other in the lower left corner of it.  Gently pull up evenly and it should come out ok.  Make sure no pins got bent in the process.  Put it in correctly and see what happens.  Good Luck!

Tilt
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »

But aren't the others all that way too? Look at the 'Phillips' on the other chips (I flipped the picture over). But the diagonal corner should tell for sure.

poppo

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »

Yeah, poor engineering.  I'm used to seeing pin 1 always oriented the same direction on a board.  IGT is willy nilly, whichever way they felt like apparently.  Anyhow, here's a photo of one of my boards that shows it with the correct orientation.  Same as the i960 cpu chip. 

Tilt

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:31:17 AM »
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »

Yep. It's upside down. Now all he can hope for is that it didn't  Burning Resistor  Most chips don't like to be plugged in backward. no

poppo

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:01:37 PM »

Yeah, sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't harm anything, other times it's toast. I've done it a time or two with a Base Chip or GME without damaging anything, but I've never put a FPGA in backwards so we'll have to wait for Cyril to post the results. 

Tilt

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:56:10 PM »

Hi,

Nothing got fried in the end even though the processor was actually upside down. When I put it back properly, the machine worked great.

Thank you all for your posts.

CYRIL1973

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal