New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: coin in jam error  (Read 6826 times)

Offline double Diamond

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • double Diamond New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: coin in jam error
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2022, 02:44:46 PM »
I can't tell from the picture. Do you have a coin in the coin comparator?
  yes i do but i still get coin  in jam  they have bin telling me its a wiring or connection issue
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 03:04:08 PM by double Diamond »

Offline DB26

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2022, 04:44:02 PM »
  yes i do but i still get coin  in jam  they have bin telling me its a wiring or connection issue

Alright good. Yeah, just follow everyone else’s suggestions. They know more than I would.
-Robert

Offline double Diamond

• NLG
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2022, 04:54:06 PM »

Alright good. Yeah, just follow everyone Else's suggestions. They know more than I would.

i have tugged on all wire for signs of bad wires  i haven't come across any

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2022, 05:31:51 PM »
Have you ever replaced the LED display?
Because it is showing a zero does not mean it doesn't have a problem
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline double Diamond

• NLG
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2022, 08:19:48 PM »
Have you ever replaced the LED display?
Because it is showing a zero does not mean it doesn't have a problem

i have two mpu board one i just got from worldwide gaming this one is giving me an issue  the  7 segment display works  in that board
 board number two  has other issue now the 7 segment display doesn't work but i still get this coin in jam

so both board are giveinf me  coin in jam

am going to have to call world wide gaming up and demand they send me another board   the board was  tested and working at the time they shipped it out  of there facility  until i received it 
that's when i knew it wasn't working   the tech told me to key chip the board i did 10 times still no  reslove
i told them i still have  a coin in jam

Offline hotlsot

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2022, 09:38:37 PM »
I don't think you have a board problem, didn't think you did when asked about buying one. Here is what I suggest, and it's going to cost you a few bucks. At this point we have no idea if any or all of the parts involved are bad. Troubleshooting becomes pointless without a base line. You'll need to find someone here on the forum that you can send your board, i/o cards, and all coin in assembly including the cc-16 for test. It's unlikely the power supply is the problem but I've seen weird stuff come out of a power supply. Once you have that baseline then you can move forward with trouble shooting. Some of these guys work out of their house, some have a shop so you will need to compensate them for the time they take to test the components. If you know someone with an S2000 you can achieve the same thing by swapping components one at a time to isolate the troublemaker. These problem machines are hard enough when you can test components, almost impossible when you can't.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2022, 09:53:08 PM »
I'm going to try and say this one more time.
Just because the led display puts a zero on the display doesn't mean that it's not fucked up.
You have changed everything but for some reason you won't change the LED 552 or 663 display. They are not that expensive and I have had them do this stuff before. The fact that it reacts differently in two supposedly tested MPUs is more evidence that it may have a problem.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 01:27:27 PM »
This is going to be a long post.

I have talked with double Diamond - he is OK if I post here and get everyone up to speed with what he has - as best as possible doing this over the phone and remotely. Many members are aware of the difficulty trying to help people through the forum and even on the phone. dD and I have talked and he is OK with me trying to be the contact point at this time. Hoping to reduce some of the confusion.

I have been helping dD on the phone trying to help him get his machine working - as inexpensive as possible. I have helped him figure out his pictures he takes with his phone. I have posted 2 pictures from him of his machine and panel.

I have posted the same 2 pictures in his s2000 dorr panel harness post asking for any help locating the correct harness for his machine.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=34831.msg184352#msg184352

The current condition of the machine is as follows -
Upon power up the machine cycles the BV and the VFD display immediately shows 'coin in jam' on the VFD. The machine does not initialize, the reels to not spin.
He is able to get into the menus and he has performed these tests -
Reel strip test - does nothing
Reel backlight test - works
Panel buttons - work
Panel button lamps - do not work
7 segment display - works
coin in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - do not work
printer is installed - I do not know the condition of the printer.

Here is what he has for parts -
2 MPU boards 1 tray ( original with battery holder, one from WWG with soldered battery )
2 960 motherboards ( #1 #2 )
4 door I/O cards ( #12/14, #7, #8, #9 ) ( 1 more door I/O card with at least one blown device - set aside not to be used )
3 cabinet I/O cards ( #7/3, #1, #2 )
3 reel backlight boards ( #1 Good, #2, #3 ) ( lamp as far as I can tell, not LED )
2 optics assembly boards ( #2, #1 )
2 'backplane' to cabinet I/O harnesses ( no tyrap, tyrap )
1 CC ( #1 )
1 PS ( #1 )
1 Door harness that is not the correct one for his machine. ( He has set that aside )

All mentioned items have been labeled so he can use them if needed to troubleshoot and hopefully keep all items noted as he/we troubleshoot as needed going forward. So we can tell what condition each item is in - working or not - and what is wrong with each item.
Any further work will be done with me on the phone and helping him note/document what is being done and the outcome.

His machine contains at this time -
Original MPU (battery holder)
960 motherboard #1
Door I/O #12/14
Cabinet I/O #7/3
Reel backlight board #1 Good
optics board #2
CC #1
PS #1
'backplane' to cabinet I/O harnesses no tyrap

Some history - as best as I can remember which is moot at this point as he/I have decided we are going to start with the machine in the state it is at, at this time as the baseline for moving forward. The information below is for history as we can remember with me talking to him on the phone and text.

MPU with battery holder - machine functions as described above.
MPU with soldered battery - reel backlight test does not work, 7 segment display test does not work, panel button lamps test works, only coin in 6 toggles the 0 to a 1 the other 5 do nothing. ( as best as I know on this information )

So here we are.
In my opinion, I believe he has a wire/harness/connection problem. dD has tried to wiggle wires and cables and connections on the door and cabinet throughout, with no change to his original error 'coin in jam'. With that said - he has talked and text to me many times saying some things appear to work and not work at times. Too much to go through here.

Known things that have worked -
Button panel switches and lamps
7 segment display
VFD display
BV cycles
Door optics work as the machine comes on and displays 'coin in jam' and he can open the door and get to the menu to do I/O tests and setup
Reel backlight lamps work

Things that appear to have not worked -
Reels do not spin
Machine does not initialize - goes immediately to 'coin in jam'
Signals from the optic board - tests coin in 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 ( he says coin in 6 has changed the 0 to 1 but I believe only with the MPU with soldered battery )

I sent him an MPU that did not have working sound, he tried it and it did not function to the point he could do any tests. LED's were not correct. He sent that back to me.
He should get a known working PS today or Monday I sent him. We are going to swap that out and see what happens when he gets it. We will do that on the phone together.
He should also get a good CC Monday I sent him. We will probably try that to see what happens. we will do that on the phone together.

From previous post/help it was mentioned the 'coin in jam' should be a problem with the Senet communication. I have not worked with that or have any real knowledge of the Senet.
Member lookes has posted about the Senet and the devices associated with that. dD has tried to clear the error and see if any others would come up or clear the error to no avail with the door optic cycles. ( this is also why i believe he may have wire/harness problems )

Anyone who would like to help with this problem - please post.

I will respond and hopefully we can get dD's machine working again - soon.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2022, 04:18:51 PM »

Yes, a coin-in-jam error is reported by the SENET bus.  Here's a couple of SENET documents that may be helpful. 

One thing I can tell you is the coin comparitor has nothing to do with the SENET bus.  You can remove the CC and the machine will work without any errors (but it won't accept a coin of course).  The optics are part of the SENET system, but the comparitor is not.  So many people get hung up on the comparitor when they see a coin-in-jam (S2000) or 21 error (S+).

The VFD and Bill validator use the NETPLEX bus, not the SENET bus, they will not cause an error on the SENET bus. 

When troubleshooting bus problems disconnecting the optional things and see if that clears the error or not is a good place to start.  The backlit reel controller is optional.  Disconnect it.  The 7 segment display is optional.  Disconnect it.  Hopper is optional, remove it. See if any of that clears the error.  The PTOP and Qbert mentioned the 7 Seg display as being a problem, try disconnecting that first.

Good Luck.

Offline DB26

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2022, 05:39:47 PM »

Yes, a coin-in-jam error is reported by the SENET bus.  Here's a couple of SENET documents that may be helpful. 

One thing I can tell you is the coin comparitor has nothing to do with the SENET bus.  You can remove the CC and the machine will work without any errors (but it won't accept a coin of course).  The optics are part of the SENET system, but the comparitor is not.  So many people get hung up on the comparitor when they see a coin-in-jam (S2000) or 21 error (S+).

The VFD and Bill validator use the NETPLEX bus, not the SENET bus, they will not cause an error on the SENET bus. 

When troubleshooting bus problems disconnecting the optional things and see if that clears the error or not is a good place to start.  The backlit reel controller is optional.  Disconnect it.  The 7 segment display is optional.  Disconnect it.  Hopper is optional, remove it. See if any of that clears the error.  The PTOP and Qbert mentioned the 7 Seg display as being a problem, try disconnecting that first.

Good Luck.

Awesome information. Thanks for explaining that so well. Wrapping my head around the SENET and NETPLEX stuff has been challenging for me.
-Robert

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2022, 07:23:16 PM »
Tilt, thank you for the information.

The hopper has been out the whole time. The netplex is working ok as you mention it has nothing to do with the senet.

The 7 segment display works, it cycles through all the segments. I believe we have unplugged it and powered up the machine and that did not help. I believe it is ok as the output test works.

The CC has nothing to do with the senet, but I sent one to dD to help him eliminate it.

I just now thought about the power supply in the lower cabinet. I believe that box contains the senet board? I will look at the schematics now and see what is in there. 

I will send dD the contents of that box or an entire unit. You may have actually helped me figure out what the problem is with his machine. I have only repaired one of those 5V ps's in the past and completely forgot about that unit. I will post what happens after dD does the swap.

Thanks for the inspiration to rethink this problem.  :hail:
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2022, 09:07:50 PM »
OK looks like dB removed the board in the box. ( Super Stepper Comm ) It is fried. He said it probably happened when he was installing TITO quite a while back, at least a year ago. He decided to try to fix his machine recently.

I will send him a board and a power supply. We will post the results next week and hopefully mark this topic solved.

I also asked him to remove all TITO items and not use them. He is going to get the machine working. He may try to install TITO at a future time - maybe, maybe not.

Thank you all for your help and patience. I know my patience was tried somewhat - but with perseverance and lots of patience - like always - almost anything can be repaired.

Thanks again to all the help you members gave on this topic.

I hope this thread helps many other people in the future.

Many things have been reinforced -

Do not plug or unplug anything with the power on.
Good resolution/focused pictures help immensely.
Accurate information is a must. And just as important ALL previous work/troubleshooting information is also immensely helpful.
And last but not at all least - Always let helpers know what you may have done to the machine just prior to it not working.

What an accomplished feeling - when his machine will be up and running.  :applause: :dancing_2: :wave: :yes:
Tony

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2022, 06:44:49 AM »
Wow, not even a board I would ever look at for this issue. I've only ever replaced this board twice on Reel Touch machines when the top and bottom boxes would  not complete the handshake and continue to boot. (and that was after many hours of head scratching) .
Again I have learned more about S2000s here.
Great job after a very long journey!
Thanks to all that have helped out.
Rich

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 408
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2022, 08:24:10 AM »
Yeah...I thought he blew up an I/O card.  :duh:

Come here to find out he blew something else up....uh...last year!  :rotfl:

Oh well...I hope he gets it running!  :yes:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2022, 08:29:37 AM »
That's certainly a problem, but I'm not so sure it's the problem.  That's the comm card, it's not a SENET device.  It provides serial interfaces (RS-232, RS-485, Fiber, etc) for external devices to connect to the machine (player tracking, SAS, progressives, vision topbox, etc).  The comm board ties to the MPU through the ribbon cable, mother board J16, MPU connector J2 and then to the QUART ICs (U68/69) on the MPU board. 

The SENET bus consists of U721, U722, U62, & U67 and interfaces with the machine through MPU connector J1 and motherboard connectors J7, J8, J9. 

The only way I see comm board may be causing a problem is if it is preventing the MPU from completing it's boot cycle somehow through feedback to the QUART ICs.  The easiest way to find out is to disconnect the ribbon cable from the comm board and see if the error clears.  The comm board isn't needed in his machine anyhow since it's not a vision/reeltouch/barcrest machine and he doesn't have TITO installed.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2022, 08:49:00 AM »
Thanks Tilt. I will call dD and have him disconnect the ribbon cable and see if the machine will initialize. Right now it goes immediately to coin in jam. Hopefully disconnecting the ribbon cable will allow it to boot/init. Then he can decide how he wants to proceed. He does have a printer and tried to hook up a TITO device way back, which is apparently what caused the coin in jam error he is fighting. With that said I am hoping this will get the machine running and we can mark this topic solved.
Tony

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2022, 10:25:33 AM »
dD left the blown board out, ribbon cable disconnected, put everything else to do with 'box' back together. the machine is still not initializing. Same error - coin in jam.

He said he took the TITO stuff out of the machine.

Any other thoughts?

I am still planning on sending him the board and the 5V PS tomorrow.
Tony

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 239
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2022, 11:28:19 AM »
Maybe more info on this "tito stuff" will shed some light on what's going on. 

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2022, 12:13:26 PM »
Sorry, that's what I figured though. 

When the machine is first turned on it should briefly say "Display passes self test" followed by "Please wait...testing memory" and finally "Waiting for Netplex Devices" before spinning the reels.  After the reels spin it should then tell you if there's a coin-in jam or not. 

Coin-in jam is also an error that requires you to open and close the main door to clear. 

I removed both the door and cabinet I/O cards from my machine, powered it up and it did just what I wrote above with a coin-in jam error message.  I powered down, re-installed them, and it did the same exact thing.  Open and closed the main door, the reels spin again, the error clears and the machine is ready for play.

There has been so much done to and swapped out in this machine that's it's hard to say what is good and what is bad without testing the components in a good machine.  If the MPU boards are good though they should at least do what I wrote in the second paragraph even without any IO boards installed.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2022, 12:40:38 PM »
On the phone listening to the machine when dD powers on a can hear the bv cycle, nothing else happens. He says it goes immediately to coin in jam. So no other messages on VFD, no reel spin (the reel test does not work as mentioned above)

Not sure what to do or say about the TITO stuff. He said he took it all out..
Tony

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal