New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 831-ZE - Contact Plate Disc Wire  (Read 1123 times)

Offline flux2

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • flux2 Hides in shadows.
  • NLG
Bally 831-ZE - Contact Plate Disc Wire
« on: January 21, 2023, 07:43:59 PM »
What's the best replacement wire and sleeves for this kind of repair?

The wire itself isn't long enough to solder back on. Is there a certain gauge wire to use? I can probably still reuse the green sleeve but it would be nice to know where I can source these things.

Bally 831-ZE

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:32:43 PM by wolftalk »

Offline Pinballwizard55

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Pinballwizard55 New User has no influence.
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Bally 831-ZE - Contact Plate Disc Wire
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 09:34:15 PM »
My guess would be to use solid single strand copper wire usually known as bell wire, any hardware store should have it.

Offline flux2

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 09:42:49 PM »
I agree. I just wasn't sure if there was a spec for them.

I did notice that the wires aren't copper. They seem to be a pretty stiff steel (maybe to have a solid connection since this disc rotates).

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 08:09:55 AM »
Possibly salvage a piece of that type of jumper wire from another machine.
Add to the existing wire with a overlap solder joint.
Slide the sleeve back on and reattach.
I’ll see what I have in salvage.

I believe the wire is copper that has been tinted for production purposes.
Thus making it a bit more rigid.

Offline flux2

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 09:03:50 AM »
Thank you David. That makes sense. The jumper wires don't seem to be copper, but like you said could have been tinted.

Yesterday, I decided to solder it onto the nearest point...I just straightened the wire out from the curvature it had. Then I thought...well, what if this isn't where the connection is supposed to go?

I found this schematic, but I'm not an expert in reading these.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 08:20:16 PM »
In most cases, wires will leave evidence as to where they were connected.
Using a high power magnification or iPhone could help.
Probably the iPhone close up, then zoom in on the photo.

I’m surprised there’s no remnant of the short portion of the wire.
Zoom in on the free end of the wire, as to see if it was cut.
Cut wire leaves a definite 2 sided taper with a sharp end.

Offline flux2

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 07:00:44 AM »
Unfortunately I acted before I took any more pictures. I totally agree there should be signs of a cut wire or a point on the solder where it would have been obvious it was cut or broken. But now that I soldered it on (without really thinking about it) there’s no way to tell. I tried zooming in on the original picture I took but I really can’t tell.

I wonder if there’s anyone with an 831-ZE that could send a picture of their disc so I would know for sure.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 10:49:57 PM »
if you attached it to the lug with the solid grey wire (90), you did it right.  The wire broke right at the solder joint.

the game would probably work fine with it disconnected ... they connected the payout circuit thru two different wiper fingers for redundancy, so assuming the wiper sitting on the rivets the brown spaghetti wire connects to works, you wouldn't notice the busted wire.

if ya look at the w-1112 diagram, the three wipers pointing up are connected to the three pointing down.  i.e. all 6 are connected together.

- when the unit is reset, the wipers don't connect anything useful.   Wire 90 is connected to the center line pay circuit elsewhere.
- when the unit is stepped up once (wipers rotate one position clockwise on diagram), wire 90 is connected to 91 and the pay circuit for the top line is connected.
- when the unit is stepped twice, wire 90 is connected to wires 91 and 93, so the pay circuits for all three lines are enabled.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 12:27:24 PM »
Photo of the solder joints.

Offline flux2

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 09:03:11 AM »
Photo of the solder joints.

Thank you so much for the picture! Here is the wire I soldered back on.

if you attached it to the lug with the solid grey wire (90), you did it right.  The wire broke right at the solder joint.

the game would probably work fine with it disconnected ... they connected the payout circuit thru two different wiper fingers for redundancy, so assuming the wiper sitting on the rivets the brown spaghetti wire connects to works, you wouldn't notice the busted wire.

if ya look at the w-1112 diagram, the three wipers pointing up are connected to the three pointing down.  i.e. all 6 are connected together.

- when the unit is reset, the wipers don't connect anything useful.   Wire 90 is connected to the center line pay circuit elsewhere.
- when the unit is stepped up once (wipers rotate one position clockwise on diagram), wire 90 is connected to 91 and the pay circuit for the top line is connected.
- when the unit is stepped twice, wire 90 is connected to wires 91 and 93, so the pay circuits for all three lines are enabled.

Wolftalk,
Thank you so much for the explanation and confirmation that I did it right. With your explanation, I can now understand the schematic as well!

I'm slowly going through this on the weekends a little at a time. I'm sure I will have some additional questions as I go along, but I will post them in a new thread.

Many thanks to everyone again!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal