New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S+ display failed  (Read 1642 times)

Offline 61Wally

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • 61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
S+ display failed
« on: January 26, 2023, 06:22:24 AM »
I have an S+ machine that has been working fine, All if the sudden, NO DISPLAY. I have made many New jumper harnesses from the power supply to the back plane as the white backplane connections fail. I put a new one on this machine, and No luck, still No display. I have swapped out displays, boards, power supplies, No luck. Any thoughts? Do the backplane boards crap out all of the sudden. The machine hasn’t been moved, gets turned on at least once a week, A bit puzzled on this one. Any suggestions would be great, THANK YOU.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:18:14 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 407
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S+ display failed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 08:03:38 AM »
The original display you took out, was okay in another cabinet?
Or burned out?

Also, check top two fuses on power supplies.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 09:59:31 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 61Wally

• 61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.61Wally Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 05:46:12 AM »
Yes, the display works fine in another machine, Fuses are good. I’ve swapped boards, No change in display.

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 06:24:13 AM »
Did you check the power connector from the power supply to the MB? Are the reels stiff when powered on?
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 08:24:27 AM »
did you change the motherboard recently? or move any connectors on the motherboard?
if the display is good, board is good, does the game play/  just no display?

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 09:52:03 AM »
Yes, the game plays and reels are stiff. I was told this is an S machine converted into an S+. The board has a different tray than my S+ boards, I’m really Not sure what the “conversion” comment meant when I was told that.

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 12:05:24 PM »
Could you take a good clear picture of the backplane power connector, with the hopper pulled out?

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 05:09:13 AM »
Here’s some pictures of the board/backplane area. I do come across many machines with the .156 block socket bad. First thing that I check.
I noticed that I’ve been getting Fantastic help from You All. I really appreciate the constant feedback from the same team members over and over. The picture of the power cable costs about $2 to replace connector. I used 100’s of them at Motorola. If there’s ever something that I can do for You guys, let me know. If I have it or can make it, I will get it to You, Thank You.

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 05:16:38 AM »
Today I swapped out backplane board and MPU, still No display. Both pieces work in other machine. I did some voltage comparisons from this machine’s display input plug, (5 wire) and I don’t have any voltage on the gray center pin wire. I do on 2 other machines! 

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 06:02:01 AM »
Your display is plugged into the wrong connector on the MB.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 06:02:49 AM »
If you really swapped out all those parts, then it has to be the display harness, no?
There's nothing else to change...
Follow that grey wire all the way back to the backplane board for continuity and check the power as it comes out of the backplane header pin.

Thanks RB...I couldn't find my old backplane photo!
However it does look like he has the mostly brown-wired harness plugged in from the mechanical counters in that location.

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 06:30:03 AM »
If you really swapped out all those parts, then it has to be the display harness, no?
There's nothing else to change...
Follow that grey wire all the way back to the backplane board for continuity and check the power as it comes out of the backplane header pin.

Thanks RB...I couldn't find my old backplane photo!
However it does look like he has the mostly brown-wired harness plugged in from the mechanical counters in that location.

:Scratch-Head:

I see nothing plugged in there.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 06:36:02 AM »
Yeah, I was looking at the other location with the mostly brown-wired mechanical meter harness.
It needs to be moved from the J14 header he has it in, to the J5 header you pointed out with the yellow arrow.
My original motherboard drawing is a little different.
I hate calling it a "backplane"...for years we called it the "motherboard"on an S+...oh well.

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:59:33 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 09:34:46 AM »
In your opening post you said "machine was working fine" ,then no display!

I asked you in reply #4, did you change anything or move any connectors, never got an answer to that question.

that is the most common problem with no display and the machine working as it should be. plugging the meter connector into the wrong connector, it pulls down the strobe signal and clock signal that run the display.

Buzz had a machine that had the same issue, he worked on it for months trying to figure it out, I called him and told him to check his connection for the meters. PROBLEM SOLVED

always take a picture of the connections before you make any changes, then you have a reference.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 236
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 10:11:33 AM »
One of the first things I do when I get an S+ is unplug the meters and leave them unplugged.  No jumper required.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 12:51:42 PM »
That's very true Sixcardmark.
There's really no need for the mechanical meter harness to be plugged in, but I do think it should be pulled out of that other J14 header socket.

Offline jonbbrew

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 04:57:51 PM »
That's very true Sixcardmark.
There's really no need for the mechanical meter harness to be plugged in, but I do think it should be pulled out of that other J14 header socket.
Can you help clarify on the drawing as J14 says Back Lighting and J5 says meters. I thought i also read where J5 is referred to for the display connection. Im confused.
How about throwing me some positive KARMA love by clicking on the left!

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 05:19:22 PM »
I believe it is meters but plugging it in wrong affects the display. That was my mistake. I had the same issue a few months ago and Jim got me straight on it.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 06:51:54 PM »
The brown wired harness you have in J14, is the harness that is meant for the mechanical meters and in the wrong socket anyways.
Disconnect and remove it from that J14 socket.

The J14 socket was meant to be used for backlit reels but the idea was put aside until IGT came out with the S2000 model.
They also scrapped the J13 printer socket as well...shelved until the S2000 model too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:10:27 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline 61Wally

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 07:23:41 AM »
OMG, THANK YOU ALL 100 times over. I just went out to garage and pulled J14 and after machine cycled, the DISPLAY lit up correctly. You ALL have and continue to teach me SO MUCH. I hope I can reciprocate Some help someday. Thinking back, when my neighbor brought the machine over, either display never worked or He got his hands in before bringing it to me. TAKE PICTURES “ALWAYS”.
WHAT A BIG TIME LESSON LEARNED HERE, ONLY TOOK ME 4 months to learn. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN,
Dan.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal