New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Replacing the Battery  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Tom Mason

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Tom Mason New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Replacing the Battery
« on: January 29, 2021, 06:16:05 PM »
Hello! Is the battery in a SIGMA Treasure Wheel soldered to the board? I could not, with gentle pressure, slide the battery out. The contact appears to be soldered to the top of the battery?

What’s the procedure here: [size=78%]Touch an iron to the lead and push the battery out?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Also, the battery doesn’t appear to be the same shape as the Energizer 2450 I bought locally. Is this the correct replacement?[/size]

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
Re: Replacing the Battery
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 06:35:11 PM »
I don't have that machine

Flip the board and look and see if you can tell if there are leads soldered that would match up with the battery position. It looks to me as though it is welded to that 'contact'

I would recommend replacing all the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Tony
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Tom Mason

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 06:51:48 PM »
Thank you Tony.

I did not fully remove the board to check the underside. I’ll take a look and share my progress.

Replacing the caps sounds like good advice. Do you replace those with like parts, or is there an upgrade I should consider?

Offline Tom Mason

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 07:13:56 PM »
that battery is soldered on to the mb.  Your best bet is to install a holder like this:  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/keystone-electronics/1025/49949?utm_adgroup=Battery%20Holders%2C%20Clips%2C%20Contacts&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Battery%20Products&utm_term=&utm_content=Battery%20Holders%2C%20Clips%2C%20Contacts&gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j5GJVR_ST3pYiEmLwD09QVL4mY0xERqyn8fcBeqnrQaiHRcOHtPxrBoCPhwQAvD_BwE

I have those in my parts bin, so this would be an easy upgrade for me.

Would there be an advantage to using a two cell AA holder instead, to ensure that there is always current during a battery change? My Bally machine had this upgrade made to spare the need for RAM chip resets. Would this wisdom apply to SIGMA machines as well, or is the RAM reset done with the key?

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 07:18:03 PM »
Hopefully you can remove that battery and install a battery holder or at least get a battery with leads that you can solder in place of the one that is there. You can't solder leads on a battery.

When replacing the caps - replace with the same uF value, if they are a strange value you can replace with closest value up or down. Replace with a voltage rating the same or higher - physical size is the other thing to watch out for, most caps today are smaller and vary in size from manufacturer sometimes. Just measure the size of the one you are replacing and get one that will fit, or the same size. Try to get caps rated at 105 degrees c not 85 degrees c.

I am repairing power supplies and I have many capacitors if you just want a few to do the board instead of ordering many or try to order just what you need. I can put a kit together if you send me a PM with the uF values - voltages and sizes. The caps are inexpensive but the shipping is what costs. I more than reasonable on the caps.

Tony
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Tom Mason

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »
Thank you for the detailed advice. I’ll inventory the caps and see if I have suitable replacements. If not then I’ll take you up on your offer!

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 08:18:53 PM »
Sounds good. Most if not all should be radial, let me know if any are axial.

Tony
Tony

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 405
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 08:34:47 PM »
Here...lemmie help you with that....lol

Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal