New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WMS BB1 blown fuse?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline am4bama

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • am4bama New User has no influence.
  • NLG
WMS BB1 blown fuse?
« on: March 28, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »
Recently got BB1, machined worked fine one day next day would not power up.  Power supply then went out and was burned.  Purchased another power supply, same thing worked one day next day would not power up.  Finally heard a loud pop while door open thinking may have a short and will not work.  There is power to the florescent bulb as it is working. Is there a fuse some where  I am missing? or did I fry the boards or the power supply?  Any help appreciated.  These are the blue boards.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: WMS BB1 blown fuse?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »
There is a fuse where the mains comes into a power distribution box behind the validator assembly.  But your description appears to show some sort of short that is causing something to heat up and the power supply blows.  The service fluorescent light works off mains, so that is really only an indicator that the machine is received ac mains.  Diagnosing shorts is a pain in the butt.  I would look at all the wiring and look for discolored wires first.   
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 12:17:11 PM »
Rickhunter, thanks for replying.  That fuse and the monitor fuse were ok.  I was touching the back pane when it popped.  Before it would not power on and I had read that pushing the lever down and making sure was seated good.  I thought I  had turned the power off, but evidently forgot to. Could the back pane be torched?  How does that come off? 

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 08:34:13 PM »
You have to remove the mpu out of the unit, then the backplane can be removed.  It is typically easier to remove the entire backplate which will also have the 24v power supply attached to it.  Of course you will also have to unplug all the molex connector.  If I remember correctly, the backplane is held in place by some round tabs that hold it by friction, but it may be screws, it has been a while since I've removed a backplane.  I would also say that plugging things in and out with the power on can definitely cause things to go bad, that is why we always say make sure all power is off.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 06:18:59 AM »
Rickhunter, thanks for responding.  I snow bird in Florida and am going home to Virginia next week.  Will work on it then.  Bought the machine at a yard sale.  Nice machine so hopefully get it repaired.  Will let you know update.

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 11:19:37 AM »
Had to replace both power supplys.  Now have power, but game does not load nor monitor on.  I have power coming out of back plane.  the top light and belly light come on.  Both boards light up showing 5v and 24v.  I keep trying to lock the board down but that has not worked yet, maybe not doing it right.  Game card, 264 mb, on left and os, 64 mb  on right?  Any help appreciated.  Game is WMS, BB1.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 06:46:15 PM »
There is a set of leds on the top right side of the backplane board that indicates the LED power rails.  Are they all lit green?  What do you mean you keep trying to lock the board down?

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 02:38:30 AM »
Only the first and last lights are on green.  Same with CPU.  Ones in between are not green. When I got this game had trouble with the latch on the cpu pulling board down.  I had read that on an older post on forum. I got that latched down last night.   Is the back plane my problem.  Thanks for responding.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 12:18:50 PM »
If the 12v leds are not lit, you have an issue with the ATX power supply, or your backplane has issues with the 12v rail.  Your game will not come up until all the green lights on the backplane show good power.

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 01:34:15 PM »
So does the back plane send power to the cpu? 

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 02:49:42 PM »
I replaced both power sources and they were shot.  I think I had power surge.  I notice that the fan on the cpu and fan on monitor is trying to move, like a second hand on a clock.  I tested main power source and it has full power out.  Rickhunter, thanks for helping.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 03:02:39 PM »
Yes, the backplane sends power to the mpu.  If there's no 12v rail, you won't be able get any further. If you had smoke or some kind of issue after you put your new power supplies and it was not related to a utility company power surge, you may have an issue with your backplane or a short that is causing your power supplies to fail.

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2023, 03:46:52 PM »
Not power company related.  I think I will try a different back plane.  Will let you know.

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 06:06:54 PM »
Got it running.  Used clear card then followed instructions to replace with system card.  Loaded game up.  Went to setup menu.  Set sound up ok.  from this setup menu only lets me go to Accounting menus.  does not show denomination, pay tables, devices, set time and date, etc.  Tried clearing again, same thing.  What am I doing wrong.

Offline am4bama

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2023, 01:57:49 PM »
I got a new back plane and installed it. I read a lot, found out one of you guys said I needed to push white reset button.  Did that, then set everything, game came on, inserted money into BV and did not take it.  Reinstated and game shut down. Will not start up.   Could the game itself be bad after power surge?

Would someone take a photo of the upper 24V power supply, BB1, specifically the wire on right side.  Is that wire (some green) hooked up to the power source.  Thanks for any and all help.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal