New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Has anyone converted their 20" MLD Display from CCFL to LEDs?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline JDKMunch

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Has anyone converted their 20" MLD Display from CCFL to LEDs?
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:56:52 PM »
I read a really neat article that shows how to convert your MLD monitor from the old CCFL bulbs into new LEDs.

It is supposed to:

1 - drop the number of fans in the monitor from 6 down to 3
2 - make the monitor run cooler
3 - reduce the electric consumption from 10 amps to 4

Has anyone done this?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Has anyone converted their 20" MLD Display from CCFL to LEDs?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
Can you post a link to the article.  Sounds like a cool thing to do.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline JDKMunch

• JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »
I'd love to but I don't think I can -
I subscribe to slot tech magazine

August 2016

I recommend anyone who is on this forum buy the magazine.  Very good reading

Offline morspeed

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »
you can view the archives of this article online for free.

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 129
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »
Also it was and has been discussed on slot tech forum. 

Offline JDKMunch

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
Yes of course - but NLG is more family and home based helping forum.

I will post my results....... I don't know what the future holds. 

probably a dead monitor.   

Offline morspeed

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
Yes of course - but NLG is more family and home based helping forum.

I will post my results....... I don't know what the future holds. 

probably a dead monitor.

Love you optimism.  LOL

Offline ThirdGenAmusement

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ThirdGenAmusement New User barely matters.ThirdGenAmusement New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 07:42:08 AM »
Thank you for all the info in this thread!  I ordered a couple sets of LEDs to convert my ccfl tubes.

I know this is an old post but curious if the LEDs improved your picture quality and color?  My MLD display colors are not nearly as sharp as the top monitor

Also if someone has a copy of that article above, let me know.  I think it's too old or the site isn't being maintained.  It won't allow me to download it. It'll be the first time removing the monitor and tearing it down so any info is appreciated!   :thank_you:

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 08:25:51 AM »
Here's the entire article.  I really don't know if that would fix your problem or not.  It looks like you have a lot of yellowing on it.  Do both of the panels (inner and outer) look the same?

• ThirdGenAmusement New User barely matters.ThirdGenAmusement New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 11:42:41 AM »
Thank you Tilt!  I appreciate it.

Yes, as best I can tell.  I've not had one of these apart yet but hoping it needs cleaned. 

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 06:22:51 PM »
I replaced the inner panel and touchscreen on my G23 MLD monitor.  It wasn't real difficult, but a lot of small screws to remove.  If you give it a try use your cellphone to make a video documenting what you're doing along the way.  That makes it much easier to reassemble it later.  Dust is also you're enemy, try to keep it as dustfree as possible or you'll be upset when you get it all back together and see a visible piece of dust stuck between the layers.

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 01:34:21 PM »
In doing my first attempt at the conversion, why is it necessary to go through the trouble of removing the inner blower fans and the inverter?  If they are unplugged they will not create the heat.  Of course replacing the 3 fans I can see.  Just curious.  I have a couple more monitors to convert so it would save some.

Offline a69mopar

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 83
  • a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
    • www.gtaslots.com
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 01:39:03 PM »
When I see colors that go off, I usually suspect bad caps in the video board.
Just a thought.

Wayne

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 04:05:31 PM »
In doing my first attempt at the conversion, why is it necessary to go through the trouble of removing the inner blower fans and the inverter?  If they are unplugged they will not create the heat.  Of course replacing the 3 fans I can see.  Just curious.  I have a couple more monitors to convert so it would save some.

I wouldn't think you have to remove them, but you can remove them if you want to since they're no longer necessary. 

Have you got the first on completed?  Let us know how it goes and how it looks if you would please.

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »
After taking a ton of time, lots of cursing, and a few walks around the block, I got it finished!  And what a difference!  The screen is sharp and bright and I know its not easy to see in the pictures but there is 'whiter' whites. I attribute this not completely to the LED install, though I think it does help, but more so to cleaning dirt, dust and tar from the lcd panels and diffusers.  This one was very bad. 

I dont see hotspots from the lcd during game play and operation though they are visible during initial powering up the machine.  Turning down the brightness might soften them to a point but until they are visible during normal operation I like the screen bright and crisp.

As Tilt mentioned, take a million pictures.  I thought I took enough but ran into a problem with the last person who disassembled the monitor had the diffusers in the wrong order so I took apart another monitor to get the diffusers in the correct order.

Some of the things I learned about the process is have a nice long table to take things apart and lay them in the order they come off.  I used small ziplock baggies I labeled for each step of disassembly  on the baggy.  I also labeled each part in the order they were removed including diffusers.  This was a huge help!  The plastic in the areas the old ccfls were housed is super brittle and the tabs and even the frame broke under its own weight.  Buy lint free rags and use true anti-stat  lcd cleaner for the lcd panels and finish with it on all the other pieces.  It helps in the long run in assembly cut the static that draws dust  in.  I also used compressed air prior to each layer of glass, diffuser, lcd panel, etc right before putting that layer on.  I am super pleased in that I dont see any dust.

Top pic is after
Middle pic is before
Bottom pic is an example of the hotspots during power up.

I wouldn't think you have to remove them, but you can remove them if you want to since they're no longer necessary. 

Have you got the first on completed?  Let us know how it goes and how it looks if you would please.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 12:38:16 PM »
Great job, congratulations :applause:  That made a big difference for sure.  I'm wondering if the earlier poster who complained of hotspots got the diffusers in the wrong order too? 

Yours looks great I think and I'd be happy with it too.  It's a lot of tedious work, but when you look at the before and after pictures it was worth it.  I got a trip to the ER and seven stitches working on mine, so you did better than I did  :24:.  In addition to changing the inner panel on mine I also got a new touchscreen as mine had a couple of deep scratches in it.  I was cutting through the adhesive that holds it to the frame with a razor knife and it slipped out and right into my left lower palm and wrist.  Luckily I didn't cut anything important so they stitched me up and sent me on my way.  I got back home and finished it up, but was more careful the second time!

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 12:46:16 PM »
Thank you Tilt!   It feels great to get this done!  Now onto the next 3!  Lol.

Sorry to hear of your injury!  That had to hurt.  You can tell you are a slot guy.  After you returned from the er you finished the job.  That is commendable!

It's possible the diffusers are in the wrong order.  The brightness may need to be turned down some which might help.  I haven't played many different games with it yet so it's possible some games may show it more than others due to the graphics or color of back ground.  We shall see.

Offline RodneyK

• Reputation Power: 16
  • RodneyK New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 01:54:05 PM »
For removing the touch sensors I use a heat gun to heat the edge of the glass/frame which then softens the VHB tape. It then comes off the frame easily with just a putty knife.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 02:54:39 PM »
Thanks.  I'll try that if I ever have to change another one.  Beats another trip to the ER!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal