New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 1088 EM coin diverter  (Read 954 times)

Offline JZ

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • JZ New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 1088 EM coin diverter
« on: August 29, 2022, 12:52:53 PM »
Thanks to all of the information on this forum I'm just about finished with my friends 1088. One of the last issues is the coin diverter. It has a loud hum and can sometimes vibrate very loudly. Instead of replacing it can I disable and tie wrap it in the closed position?  I believe if the hopper is maxed out with coins it will divert the coins to the cash box. Is there any other reason for the diverter?
BTW thanks to wolftalk the payouts are working now. Just hit the jackpot today for 100 coins.

Thanks in advance

Offline crayw

• Reputation Power: 3
  • crayw New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Bally 1088 EM coin diverter
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 10:51:19 PM »
I have used electrical tape to minimize the vibration.

Offline JZ

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 01:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion seems to greatly reduce the noise.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 05:51:23 AM »
the hum/buzz on relays comes from wear on the coil top, dimples worn into the armature plate, or excessive spring tension (someone installed the wrong spring).  Rarely it's an issue with the relay frame. 

if the armature plate doesn't sit squarely on the coil top, it rocks/vibrates as the magnetic field in the coil fluctuates, especially as the voltage crosses zero.

if the plate has dimples what sometimes works is whacking it with a hammer on an anvil to flatten it out ... it's not possible on some plates due to attachments or the shape of the plate.

occasionally filing the coil top helps ... at least enough to remove any burrs from the edges of the metal pegs on the coil top.

the electrical tape is the easy fix to just damp the vibration.  If it's still too loud, then yup, it's ok to disable the coil and zip tie the armature plate down.  It's not likely you'll have a hopper coin overflow/overfull issue in home use.

Offline JZ

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 11:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the info. I filed the diverter and coin mech coils. The coin mech was also very loud at times, now perfectly quiet. The diverter was now worse so I disabled it. While testing yesterday I found the coin switch was intermittent. You can physically hear and feel it not closing the contacts. I noticed the coin box switch was identical to the coin switch so I swapped them. I can imagine it had very little wear on it compared to the coin switch. Since I disabled the diverter as it was never going to be used. Its so quite now I need to look at the lights to know it is powered on. One mod I did make was to a add a power switch. Going to play it for a few hours and send it home.
Thanks for all of the information, much appreciated!!!!

Joe
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 12:55:58 PM by JZ »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 06:57:53 PM »
Had a similar situation on a Bally pinball machine coin lockout.
The simple fix in this situation was a very small amount on vaseline.
Applied a pinhead amount to the armature pivot points.
Been running quite ever since.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 09:02:37 PM »
lubricating the armature pivot points I've never tried ... I'll give that a shot on the next buzzing coil that doesn't want to behave.

some of the microswitches like the coin switches can be opened and the contacts cleaned.  If the coin switch is rivetted shut, you can drill the rivets.  The mounting screws will hold it together.

for the sealed switches, you can often squirt some solvent in the hole where the actuator nub pokes out of the case ... kinda fill the switch halfway and shake out as much of the solvent as you can, then let the rest evaporate out and give it a try. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal