New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Video display communication failure ?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Oldslot

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Oldslot New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Video display communication failure ?
« on: October 26, 2022, 08:32:46 AM »
Hi. This is for a Double Diamond Mine.
I get this message. And no display and netplex link
 I purchased this game in this condition.  So I don't know the history. Would love to get it working. I did a clear and key wit h I purchased from jjslots on ebay. It didn't change anything.. but it may have to get past the netplex link stopping the boot. There us nothing on the small screen. I checked all connections to that netplex. They seem fine. What's next?

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Video display communication failure ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 10:04:23 AM »
Check the coin battery voltage on the mpu. Replace if less than 2.9V. There is also a battery in the top box that needs to be checked.
Does the top box do anything when powered up? Can you see maybe a backlight coming on? Some pics of mpu would be good
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »
Picture
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 08:28:49 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 01:17:28 PM »
Pic of MPU. Also upper board has fan running. Not sure if its got power to rhe small board

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 235
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 02:20:33 PM »
Is there a monitor in the top box?  Looks to be missing?

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 350
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 02:32:18 PM »
I need to see a close up of the MPU battery. Looks like the + is soldered to the - side of the board.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline lookes

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 04:04:17 PM »
The fact that the VFD is displaying a communications error tells me the MPU is working. If there is a problem with Varta battery damage, it would have to do with the serial port that communicates with your top box, and I don't see much damage. This seems more like a top box problem to me. As Mark asked, are all the parts in the top box?
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 06:10:52 PM »
Top box pic. Looks like it's all there. But I'm not familiar with these

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 06:11:54 PM »
Anther pic.
And another pic of upper screen
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 08:31:29 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 235
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 07:20:58 PM »
Did you check the battery in top box like qbert asked?

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 07:37:22 PM »
New battery on both boards.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 404
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 05:27:49 AM »
I hope you didn't remove or plug in any boards with the power on?
That's a perfect way to blow up IC components on circuit boards.

Pull the 4-pin connector off of the LCD unit in the photo below and check the voltage when you power up the machine with a multimeter.
I pointed out the Molex power connector housing for you with a green arrow below.
Two of the pins should give you 12 volts DC....offhand I don't remember which two pins but with a multimeter, you'll find it.
 If you don't have any power coming in to this connector, the LCD unit won't come on.
There's a 2-pin jumper that you need to move behind the memory stick on the left-hand side of the LCD unit.
Moving the jumper allows you to see what is installed during boot-up.

BTW It's the same voltage that old desktop computers used about 10-15 yrs ago.
If you have a desktop power supply, you can plug it right into this connection and see what comes up on your LCD unit.
I posted also below a drawing of your tobox.
Follow the P/J3 Netplex connector wiring harness down to the backplane and make it's connected to the backplane.
That's the connector your topbox LCD unit gets it's power from.

Click on any photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 05:49:06 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 08:17:30 AM »
Ok. Thanks. Sorry it took so long to get back. It does not look like the upper display board is getting voltage to the board. Although there is power coming in for the boards fan. Connection at power supply is fine but red led on power supply is off.

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 07:15:26 PM »
If I would need a power supply. Are they available? Or does this need rebuild? Who does that? Thanks

Also.. in your picture there is a ribbon cable plugged in. I'm mine there is no ribbon cable. Also netplex connector plugs into unit behind hopper in center. Is that another power supply?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:43:37 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2022, 06:18:19 AM »
The ribbon cable in the top box is for a CD player, most vision boxes do not have a CD player or the cable.

The communication link is the three or four gray wires from the back of the vision top box to the ezpay box behind the hopper as you described.(P/J89 RS232/Comm)  From there you should have a ribbon cable from the ezpay box to the motherboard on the back wall where the mpu plugs in. You must have that ribbon cable Installed and in the correct orientation for communication between the top box and the mpu.

Power for the top box monitor plugs in on the back wall of the upper compartment of the machine. That is the netplex connector. (P/J3 connector)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 06:47:47 AM by qbert »
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2022, 07:06:18 AM »
Thanks. I have all that. What to do if no power to board? Looks like there is power to fan next to bd. So guessing I'm not getting the lower voltage to power the small board and display? How to correct that?

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
Power it up and turn off all the lights in your room.
Use a flashlight and point it at the LCD and move it around....with the flashlight, see if you can see anything written on the LCD screen at all...that 2-pin jumper I pointed out to you must be in the "ON" position to display boot-up messages.
I'm suspecting that the power invertor for the LCD ballast is burned out and not lighting up the display.
It's sort of a common problem with these Vision LCD screens as they're now really getting up there in age.
The ballast that lights up the LCD screen is located next to the unit's fan that you speak of on the left-hand side when looking at the unit from behind or component side.

Tuesday I will be around a Vision machine and can try to make short videos to help you out?
I can try to find which two pins make up 12VDC out of that 4-pin Molex power connector.
Need to determine if you're getting power to the topbox board unit other than the fan.
What's your zipcode location?
Maybe a member nearby you that knows how to troubleshoot a Vision can help ya too?
Might be easy to test your LCD unit on their machine.
To test your software as well to see if everything's well and nothing's corrupted.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2022, 03:35:12 AM »
Thanks so much for your help!  I will wait to hear from you. I'm located in Harleysville, PA 19438

Offline Oldslot

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2022, 06:36:20 AM »
I did what you said.. turn off lights and use flashlight. There us info. On the small screen. Very dim and hard to read even with flashlight. Looks like a boot sequence. Thanks I'm feeling progress! Will wait to hear from you.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »
okay....I will try to simulate your problem by disconnecting my LCD ballast and use a flashlight.
Give me a few minutes.
okay yep....when I disconnected my lcd ballast, the screen was black but with a flashlight, I was able to faintly see that the lcd was indeed going thru a "boot-up" sequence.

You need to get a new ballast...they're small circuit boards called "LS520".
Here's a link to the top three for sale on ebay...>>>
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=LS520+ballast&_sacat=0

Below is a picture I took of the number on the small ballast circuit board you need and a link to a short video I tried to make for ya on on my youtube channel of where this little lcd ballast board [LS520] is in your topbox lcd unit...>>>
https://youtu.be/Os24P30qqeA

oh btw, I'm located quite far from ya (12901).
There ARE slot guys located not too far from you but I don't think they have a ballasts for you.
Not too many guys have extra Vision parts.
I think getting one of 1st 3 three ballasts on the ebay link I gave ya will get your lcd screen lit up again.
Take a ohoto of the ballast that you're removing....I might be able to see what's wrong with it or not.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 10:59:34 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal