**Video Poker, Keno, Slots, 21** Gaming machines > Bally Alpha (Cinevision), and ALL Bally "V___" series - V5000, V2000, V1000, etc.

Alpha pro mpu engine differences/upgrades

(1/2) > >>

Hertz14:
I’ve searched some for a thread that states the differences between the 2.0, 2.1 and 2.4 engines and am coming up short.

The main reason I have for the question- I currently have a 2.0 with 4gb, soon to be 8. Besides that, what else can I do to upgrade this engine? I have a quadro 2000 vid card on it as well. Is there any way to upgrade this box to a 2.1? Or get close? I was told that it also is not possible to run Argos on a 2.0.

I’m learning as I go on this unit and it’s very cool the changes that were made from the alpha to the A2 platform. I’ve also gathered a lot of info on some threads regarding the use of usb loading (which I am still not successful at - and yes logic doors open and switches working) I am able to load games using the cf method.

Some of you guys know these in and out, what do I need to know? Any pointers or things you’ve learned along the way that you wished you knew earlier?

Thanks!

idesign:
There is no way to upgrade a 2.0 to a 2.1 or a 2.4  Just like there is no way to upgrade a 2.1 to a 2.4.  They all use different Bios too, and they are not interchangeable between CPUs.  Argos will run on a 2.1 or a 2.4 with the correct bios. 

Hertz14:

--- Quote from: idesign on February 12, 2023, 11:13:53 AM ---There is no way to upgrade a 2.0 to a 2.1 or a 2.4  Just like there is no way to upgrade a 2.1 to a 2.4.  They all use different Bios too, and they are not interchangeable between CPUs.  Argos will run on a 2.1 or a 2.4 with the correct bios.

--- End quote ---

That answers that-

So ram and vid card are pretty much the extent of making changes?

idesign:

--- Quote from: Hertz14 on February 12, 2023, 11:15:35 AM ---
That answers that-

So ram and vid card are pretty much the extent of making changes?

--- End quote ---

That's about all you can do.  Not even sure what the advantage is to 8gb ram in a 2.0.  The K2000 is a good video card choice though.

The 2.0 does have a nasty history of spontaneous failure where it will boot up to a certain point and then reboot, constantly.  I hear it can be repaired but it's costly, but considering what the CPUs currently sell for it's still cheaper than a replacement.

Hertz14:
Well it looks like I’ll be in the market for a 2.1 in the future then. 2.4s have gone up so much in price, it’s hard to justify.

I’ll play with this one for a while and see if a 2.1 comes along.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version