**Video Poker, Keno, Slots, 21** Gaming machines > IGT AVP (Including G20,G23)

Easy Tall box mod In an hour with no cabinet alteration

(1/4) > >>

sccarlso:
Finally got my G23 with an MLD!

I had a design in mind to be able to play tall box games, but not alter the cabinet at all.  And be able to easily switch from a tall box back to the std machine in minutes.
There are mods to frame it in, but then it's locked to tall screen, and alters the cabinet.   But for about $225 I was able to get the best of both.

Tall Monitor (a TV is best, large monitors are pretty much all "ultrawide" so they're too narrow and expensive.
Found a "dumb TV" that does just what's needed which you can get for $150

43” 1080p
38” tall, 22.5” wide
VGA & HDMI inputs
15lb.  VESA 200x200 (adapted with a mount plate for a 100x100 spring tension monitor arm.)

Width is perfect for a G23. 

Removed the topper and the mount hole is reinforced, so a monitor arm could mount right into it.

Ran a second cable to the brainbox with DVI to HDMI adapter.  And a power connecttion through the cabinet.

Attached the arm, the screen, and now to switch, I can just rotate the arm and the tall screen is on the side of the cabinet for normal screen games.  Easily removed and topper put back on if ever desired and the cabinet is just as it was.   Loving it!

Stayouttadabunker:
haha...All you need is a splitter and a remote and you can watch the Superbowl while playing! Awessome!!

sccarlso:
No kidding right?

I'll be keeping an eye out to see if there are any different mounts that are cleaner since any 100x100 VESA mount will work and could hold up that big screen with one hand as it's only 15lbs.  But the 1080p "TV", having both VGA and HDMI without "smart" functions was a bargain.  If I would have found a "frameless" one, that would have been better, but they were all much more expensive.  I think I'll get moulding and just paint it to match the screen and glue it to the edges so the entire screen will have a nice, even look.

I originally was just going to use a single post mount that rotated.  That works, but when rotated, the tall screen is WIDE, and you can still see the original top monintor.

So I opted for a swing arm to give rotation if you wanted a big top screen in normal mode.  But I liked the idea of "stowing" the tall screen on the side easily, leaving the cabling to the orginal monitor, so switching is just a matter of swapping the cables on the brainbox and enabling different games.  I wanted an easy conversion to have the best of both in one machine.  :)

Suggestions for any improvements are certainly welcome!  This was a concept, and it worked out pretty well the first time.

Sunrise Side:
Very Nice! Thanks for the info.!

rickhunter:
What a clever hack!  I'm going to do that for my old alpha cabinet, instead of building a big boxtop.  The only concerns for me would be, when tipping the monitor forward like you do, does that not change the center of gravity and lead to a potential cabinet accident tipping forward?  Also I would put some sort of felt padding on the bottom part of the screen that touches the original monitor to prevent scratches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version