New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Antique Sega 10 Cent Slot Machine  (Read 3380 times)

Offline edoleu

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • edoleu New User has no influence.
Antique Sega 10 Cent Slot Machine
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
I found this old Morris Shefras & Sons 10 cent slot machine in an antique store today. Brought it home, cleaned it up. Seems to work fairly well. I haven't been able to find any information on it. It's missing the back panel.

Does anyone know anything about these?

Regards,
E
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:42:10 PM by edoleu »

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Morris Shefras 10 Cent Slot Machine
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
That is a Sega machine with a Shefras escalator (that's the contraption that the coin drops into and eventually makes its way to the coin tube or if that's full, to the jackpot or the cash box) put in at a later date in the UK. The machine was made in Japan by Sega using a die set purchased from Mills when they went out of business. Your machine might be a "Monaco Starlet." It looks fairly close to me.
The top window was where you'd see a row of dimes, or probably 6 pence since it came from the UK.
Can you add a photo of the back? If you feel inclined, I'd love to see the front part, or what's behind that window.
Does it payout properly?
It looks great too. How much did you pay for it?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:52:39 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline edoleu

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply! That is very helpful!

It is missing the main back panel. The top part of the back is there. I removed it for cleaning and photos.

It works pretty well, but seems to operate whether or not you put in a coin. It accepts dimes and seems to pay out properly. I haven't hit the jackpot yet, but have hit payouts of 3, 5 and 14 coins.

Not sure how to remove the front in order to get a better look at things.

Do you know where I can find more information on this machine?

I paid $225 for it. Hope that I didn't pay too much.

E

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:15:43 PM »
I do see the Shefras escalator. I'll add a picture here of a Mills and you'll see how much better it might be visually if you have one, but it will take a few mods to do so. If you ever do, you will then see the dimes "scrolling" through that glass window. You could also just put some dimes in there just for "the look." :)
You don't need to remove it now, but if you look at the back of the machine, to the left bottom side, you will see a long lever that wedges to the base of the mechanism. That lifts up. There might be one bolt through the chassis bottom into the case somewhere. Once those are out, the entire mechanism lifts up slightly and will pull out. It will be heavy and probably greasy. Still you might want to remove it to check for anything jammed.
Just for fun, insert a dime while looking the back. You should see it roll left and down somewhere in the machine, well DOWN would be good. I see some dimes on the right side though and that may indicate a jam somewhere. If you don't see it fall to the left, don't put any more dimes in or might damage something if one falls in the way of the handle action.
If you don't see the dime fall to the left, you have an escalator jam. And since the machine plays all the time, it's likely that there's a dime in the release pin, or the part that is prevented from moving outward. This is what releases the handle for play when the coin is inserted.
Anyway I'll stop here for now. Let me know what happens.
That price was fine especially for a machine with the jackpot.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline edoleu

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:20:58 PM »
Thanks again for this very useful information!

Turns out the mechanism wasn't locked in (no locking lever is apparent to me), so I was able to remove it by just gently lifting it out.

The dimes that you see spilled inside the machine are because there is a plate missing over the part of the escalator that dumps slugs (anything that's not a dime) into the chute on the right. I'm hoping to fashion a sheet metal plate in place where it used to be.

I can't find what's causing the free play. Not sure where the release pin is. I don't see anything jammed.

I see a lot of old grease in the mechanism. I'd like to clean it and put fresh grease in there. Not sure how to go about that. Reel #1 is a little bit sticky. I put a few drops of silicone lube in there, but don't want to do too much without knowing what I'm doing.

I'll take some more pics of the mechanism and post them.

Thanks again for your help!!! Really appreciate it!

E

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
Sounds good.
One important thing to start. Facing the back on the left bottom you see a series of levers. They are hooked to the coin slides. Don't put any oil on them whatsoever. Once you remove the mech you will see what looks like a layer of metal plates. There should not be any grease or oil on them. Otherwise they won't slide into the proper positions to release the win amount.
I'm really not a true expert on mechanical machines but I have had one of these and have worked my two Mills machines and one Jennings to just know enough! :)

Offline edoleu

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 05:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the info regarding the payout levers/plates. Here are some pics of the internal mechanism. Where is the release pin?

E

Offline edoleu

Re: Antique Sega 10 Cent Slot Machine
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 09:08:47 PM »
I found out the problem with the "free play". It turned out that the coin detector spring tension was too high, providing just a little too much resistance to the lever that presses against it when you pull the arm. I stretched the spring a little and that took care of the problem.

Now I need to figure out how the jackpot hopper fills. Does it fill once the payout tube is full? I don't see coins going in there.

Thanks again for your help! Super excited to have this machine all cleaned up and running well.

E

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »
Glad you figured that out!  :applause:
The order of fill is jackpot (and reserve), coin tube then coin box.
I found this from Rich, one of our members. Actually surprised he and others haven't chimed in, but some don't know that the Sega is basically Mills revamped.

From qbert:
The jackpot actually has two compartments. The way the machine works is it fills the coin tube first, then as the coin tube overflows it starts to fill a hidden jackpot hopper. When that hidden jackpot overflows you will then start to see the jackpot with the glass window start to fill. Finally when that jackpot fills the overflow goes to the proprietors box as profit.
What should happen when you hit the jackpot the coins in the glass window should drop to the payout tray along with 20 coins from the tube.
On the very next pull the glass jackpot door will close, then on the pull after that the hidden jackpot should dump into the glass window jackpot filling it about half way.
The the whole process starts again.
They did this because no one wants to play a machine with zero coins in the jackpot. In this way it has a head start.
The glass window jackpot will not start to finish filling until the hidden one starts to overflow.
I love the old mechanical machines they were pretty well thought out even back then on how to take your money.

So, with the main mechanism out, look at the jackpot mechanism and you'll see that it's taller than what shows in the window up front. And that's the reserve.

Offline edoleu

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »
Thank you!

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 04:40:11 PM »
Edoleu - Did you get this machine up and running? I'd love to see the "finished" photos provided you still have the machine.
Funny... I just got ANOTHER Sega! I had sold my old one; it was a skill stop style; had no jackpot and just needed too much work. My new one takes US dimes and has the jackpot. I just need to pick the back lock! I'd been looking for information and totally FORGOT that I had helped you with this. Glad I wrote it down because it had left my memory.  :duh:
Anyway, I'll start a new subject for mine eventually but would like to know how yours is doing.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal