New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1981 IGT Aristocrat, 3 reel, 5 pay lines. Model R45NB.  (Read 1993 times)

Offline CustomWebProgrammer

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • CustomWebProgrammer New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • Automation Creations, Inc.
1981 IGT Aristocrat, 3 reel, 5 pay lines. Model R45NB.
« on: August 04, 2022, 11:22:21 AM »
I've just pulled out my 1981 IGT Aristocrat, 3 reel, 5 pay lines.  Model R45NB  (Maybe it's R45NBL, that last L is suspect, though - see photo)
Happy to find older slot enthusiasts (that is, older slots, not necessarily older enthusiasts!)

The machine worked and was in our game room until 2005.  I've had it in our protected garage since, and am rebuilding my game room. Would love to get this running again!
When I stored it away, I intended to replace the battery, but only removed it. Haven't replaced.  And I recall that a few bitty bulbs were out - I see a few recommendations to try LEDs.
I'd love to start with the manuals - but sounds like I first need batteries, and ensure that the EEPROMs haven't puked.
All fuses are good, the machine powers up and humms - no self-test, so batteries will be first endeavor.  Sounds like two AA nicads are the preferred technique, in a new battery holder?

• NLG
Re: 1981 IGT Aristocrat, 3 reel, 5 pay lines. Model R45NB.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:14:10 AM »
A photo of the machine front: set up for nickels (yay!!), and 3 reels, 5 progressive pay lines. Shout-out to Op-Bell for help with manuals!!

Offline crayw

• Reputation Power: 3
  • crayw New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 05:43:22 PM »
I have a aristocrat 4 reel slot from 1977. I have the machine in storage do I don't know the model number. I may have a manual for it. It might apply to your machine as well. Will try to find it and let you know.

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 08:51:54 AM »
Awesome! Much appreciated.  I can photograph the inside if it helps compare cherries to cherries!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:11:00 AM by CustomWebProgrammer »

• NLG
Re: 1981 IGT Aristocrat, 3 reel, 5 pay lines. Model R45NB and/or R45NC
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 09:08:20 AM »
Took some more photos as I pulled out circuit boards and (finally) got to the batteries.  There's another data plate inside that says this is a model R45NC, and it looks like it has lived a life of different payout odds! Crossed out stickers indicate it started life at 96.24%, then 90.90%, then 87%, and in 5/23/83, was at 82.541%, presumably different EEPROMS as owners decided to be less rewarding!

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 07:45:34 AM »
Update: Replaced the corroded, nasty ni-cad batteries with a battery holder and 2 new, charged NiMH batteries. Reassembled with some cleaning here and there, and... still nada.  It lights up, all fuses are good, but no self-check, no digits on the LED displays, no sound.
I think this means the eeproms are gone.  From help by other members, it sounds like EEPROMs are the next step, but there was also mention of memory chips (https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=28897.msg152035#msg152035 ) - I'm more likely to find memory chips than a replacement eeprom set, aren't I?
I'm not mentally prepared to scrap it yet - it worked before, and looks pretty good inside.  Do I need parts or a good therapist?

Offline 78esprit

• 78esprit New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 10:55:54 PM »
I have a aristocrat 4 reel slot from 1977. I have the machine in storage do I don't know the model number. I may have a manual for it. It might apply to your machine as well. Will try to find it and let you know.

If its an Aristocrat Quadreel and you have a 1977 manual, id love to see it!

Offline Chris-socal

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Chris-socal Is working their way up.Chris-socal Is working their way up.Chris-socal Is working their way up.
  • Keep tinkering until it works!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 05:54:46 AM »
I am not familiar with Aristocrats but the board looks similar to many other games from that era. I can only speak to my own experience. I do not suspect eeprom unless everything else has been proven to work.
I have 3 machines from the late 70’s/early 80’s that all have this problem. Given I got one to boot and another occasionally boots I don’t suspect eeprom.
Second, lights coming on only indicate that your power cord is plugged into the wall.
My suggestion is to validate that your 5v power rail is truly 5v. All of the logic needs clean 5v.
Check the reset pin (pin 40) on that micro controller (HD6802). If you don’t know how to do this I suggest you get a $20 logic probe and watch a YouTube video. The hardest part is getting access to the board during a boot.
What you find there determines where you go next. I don’t suppose there are any schematics?
Again Im no expert but we have some members here who can point us to the correct components to check next.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal