NLG Classified ads and White Sheet > NLG Classified ads and White Sheet - PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION BEFORE POSTING!
PE+ Fuse Holder
(1/6) > >>
jay:
I have a PE+ with a classic tube monitor.

Last week I went to turn the machine on and the screen remained blank.
You run your finger across it and you get no static or any other indication that it has power.

Going back into ancient history - or in my case highschool electronics class - where we fixed B&W TVs.
The common cause of this was a high voltage transistor on the side of the main board.

I shook the machine a few times, turned it off and on a couple of times and Wvolla the monitor sprung to life.
It wasn't like it struggled - it just popped on and we were best friends again.

A couple of days goes by and I turn it on again - same behavior. Nothing on the screen. No static.
I pulled the fuses - there are 3 of them and checked them with a multimeter as visually they are all good.
Put the fuses back in and it came on. I figured I had it beat.

I came home from a weekend away and thought I would turn it on and check it for good measure - same black screen.
I unscrewed fuse 1 (left most) and then screwed it back in, no change, I pulled the fuse out bounced it on the fuse holder spring and then put it back.
Worked like a champ.

I suspect that the fuse holder is either corroded or just shot.

Anyone know where I can get a compatible one ?
When the monitor appeared dead I was also contemplating a LCD drop in. Anyone still making these ? are they now old enough that I can get one in the used market ?

jay:
Update: Turned the machine on, as my kids and father were coming over for a belated fathers day gathering.
Same black screen, reseating the fuse didn't work this time.

I blasted in some contact cleaner spray into the socket and the screw top and it came alive.
Kids went home, I turned it off for 5 min and on and it came back.

I will try tomorrow night again.
John H:
Jay,
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I also have a PE+ that the monitor just stopped working and not sure if a replacement is available or not. Or maybe something to substitute. Just wondering...
John
jay:
No one ever got back to me on this.

I sprayed a ton of contact cleaner into the fuse holder. Each time the machine started without the monitor. Power off of course.
It finally became a reliable start.

Lately however when it starts - the monitor comes on with the picture scrolling like an old black and white TV. It then stabilizes but the payable is at the bottom the top part of the screen a bit messed up. A few min later it rectifies itself. I think the high voltage transistor is starting to go. Its been 40 years since I took TV repair in high school and I am sure I remember nothing useful.

If it helps any the fuse in question was the second from the left. Pull it out, sand the tip a bit, put it in, repeat.
John H:
Thanks for the info. I pulled all the fuses and checked, cleaned and reset them, but nothing . Pretty sure my monitor died. Fortunately I found a replacement source that uses LCD's instead of the CRT's but the darn thing is not cheap - but not sure what else to do.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442

Go to full version