New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Igi wild monkeys - CD-ROM verify error  (Read 5085 times)

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • MacGUYver New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Igi wild monkeys - CD-ROM verify error
« on: March 21, 2020, 11:36:47 PM »
Pretty excited, picked up my first IGI Wild Monkeys nickel video slot.  Got it stuck in power up.

Tries to power up, starts going through self checks, fails at CD-ROM verify error.  The screen shows it finds the CD ROM hardware , but fails to verify the CD? Or maybe fails to verify the contents?  It's hard to tell if the disc is spinning up or not tbh.

I put the CD in my laptop, all files transfered.  Also had a spare CD of IGI Monster Money, took those off too.  Both look like they're valid files, I see reference to both games.

Any chance someone's got a good manual? The one I have is strange

I took the CD-ROM apart and cleaned the laser.  No difference.  The game boards fan is so loud and vibration s thatni can't tell if the CDs reading or just barely moving (the game face if the CD is in different location after each in/out, so it's doing something???)

Think I can plug and play this CD-ROM? Should I try burning a new disc? Either way, looks cool!

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 407
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Igi wild monkeys - CD-ROM verify error
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »
There's a simple Molex connector plug for the fan.
Why not just pull it apart to disable it for now to check if the CD player is working or not?
You can always plug the fan back in afterwards.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 12:43:52 PM »
Discovered cdrom was working.  Previous owner had spare parts, and told me one of the boards has some security chips on it.  Replaced with other board devoid of chips, and was able to boot past it

So now I can get into an actual CD boot sequence.  It starts loading scripts on the imagine, finds video cards, etc.  Now fails at a "slot test", where it tries to query several HW parts of the actual machine, ie hopper, coin acceptor, etc.  It fails the test.  I assume it fails all of them.

Very interesting.  Both the CDs can get to this failure depending on what bios settings I put in.

Bunker, you're gonna help me through this one right?  Im suspecting either power is not going to those he components at all, or a board that controls them is not telling them to turn on.  I get no button lights, no BV lights or sound, no hopper, etc.  Im not sure where in the boot sequence the BV would get power, accept where I get stuck. 

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »
Also I'll occasionally get a "cable disconnect'.  I found that the power plug to the main board needs to be jimmied sometimes to force contact.  I'm wondering if the plug is not fully connecting to all components for power.  Might just be the main board. 

After I Jimmie it, I get main board power and it starts booting.  I'll probably take it all out and see if there's bad solder underneath

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
Yep....bad connection of a pin somewhere....this is where you have to be patient and really roll up your sleeves & get down into it.
Sometimes it's easier to find the problem part if you swap harnesses one at a time but at the moment, because the machine gave you a "cable disconnect" error....that's where I'd start looking. :sherlock:
The small harness that is the communications link between the topbox stuff and the lower MPU.
Be patient....you'll find it.  :yes:

Check the female pins on that power connector....if you have a power supply box that has the little screw on the left, screw it tighter or push the PS towards the main connector Molex and push the main connector Molex housing with your other hand towards the PS box to force a better pin connection.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:35:23 AM »
Minor updates.  I got a second main board, I was hoping this would fix power issues.  Swapped out all the support boards, and powered it up.  I don't get the spotty main board power anymore, so that's nice. But everything else remains the same.

DOES anyone have a working igi/igca?  It would be incredibly helpful to see a power on.

What id like to see, or if anyone remembers, is when the power is switched on, do all the slot components (ie hopper, coin acceptor, BV etc) all get power instantly? Or does that happen after the board gets booted, CD gets verified, or Linux boots up its kernal and performs the "slot test" config?  I get no power.  So when the boot image performs the 10ish component configuration script, it fails on all accounts.  I would assume by the time it performs the config script the components would get power, but when?

I'll be focusing on all power plugs next.  I was just hoping the main board replacement would be the magic bullet. 

I've been reading through some of the scripts on the image, pretty interesting.  I'm hoping if I can get it to work, I'll be able to modify minor parts of the build so I can create my own game, ie family pics or something. 

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 11:18:08 AM »
Ok, lots of interesting updates.  IT WORKS!  Kinda...

I went through all the connectors I'm the top box which holds the mpu, deox sprayed them.  No difference.

Tried a few variations of bios settings, no change.

Finally found a schematic of the wires, and walked through a few that were for power.  Check for power, saw voltage where I expected.  But wasn't looking for range.  Than finally realized I was being stupid, and should just check each plug on the dc power supply output (was a 3am moment of clarity).  I saw the 5v was 5.5v, 12v was around 10.5, -5v was -4.5v, forgot what the -12v read.  But ultimately the numbers were all jacked up.

Opened the power supply and attempted to calibrate them, got them to something more reasonable, but k. The midst of it I forced the little dial a bit and broke it I think, oops.  But luckily it seemedike it was enough.

The boot sequence where I was failing is the machines first attempt at giving the hardware power, BV, coin acceptor, etc.  So answered that question.  Also now, I was able to turn the reset key and get to a test screen, all my hw worked. It was glroius.

Progressed to game booting, but my main disc for Wild Monkeys asks for a password.  I didn't know it.  In the bios settings on boot, you can set passwords, disable them, etc.  But no combination would turn off that password checker upon boot, so I was stuck.

But than I popped in my Monster Money, and it booted just fine without a password required.  My next goal will be to copy the Monster image, and set it up for wild monkeys.  Both the image files have all the folders for all games (area51, tiki, etc), and I think I've identified the file that configs the game folder path.  So hopefully if I can make it work, I can make a bootable disc for all games.

I'll write more detailed responses here for historical.  Just wanted to show off my pretty new toy.

I generally flip the machines, but this one has so many configurable possibilities, I think I'll keep it for awhile.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:21:02 AM »
What's funny is that you fixed it by breaking something...haha :rotfl:

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 12:30:43 PM »
It's how all my best go. I'm just curious if it's gonna power back on tonight. Fingers crossed.

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 11:36:13 PM »
Dear diary, Microsoft hates Linux, especially their files headers.

I've been banging my head against the wall, I've performed at least 30 boot disc images with varying success.  If I ever get it, I'll write down a how to.  All I'm trying to do right now is re create a bootable disc, but everything I have is windows.  And it seems to corrupt the headers no matter what I do. 

So I finally gave in and am downloading Ubuntu.  I'm gonna make a bootable USB with Linux, install it ad a partition (hopefully without erasing my entire computer), and see if I can just do all this from an actual Linux disc burn.  I feel like it'll be more pristine.

So ultimately I can make a boot disc with the 1.44mb boot image in this folder struture. But as it boots, it pulls a Linux kernel and all the files get F'd in the process (can't read headers, read-only files, etc). So I get a failed load.  No matter how many times I convert the files to open them up, they get forced back to read only, corrupt headers. 

In my mind it's a 3 phase test process. 
1) recreate a bootable disc with what I have.
2) alter 2 files that controls game configuration, and make a boot disc for ALL games (10ish).
3) See if I can create my own game with my face as the main jackpot!!! 

Diary...it's cold in the garage

#corona2020

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 01:36:19 PM »
Btw the CDrom verify failure at boot seems to be when I have a board installed with two chips, one security, ones a bios boot.  I'm assuming the bios chip Is looking for the file at the top level of the folders called verify, which contains a CRC check of all files installed.  Mine fails.

I actually CRCd the files, none match the verification file.  So not sure if the two proms have built in CRC expectation, or if it finds those files and crcs them realtjme. Either way, more info.  By removing the chips, it by passes that check and let's the CD go straight into boot mode.  So that at least fixed the main issue I had in the beginning.

Also, I was able to make a clean copy of the Monster Money CD, so now I have a good backup.  Phase 1 complete!

If I ever become success on phase two, I'll modify the CRC check verification file and see if I can get that to work too.

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »
Serious question for anyone reading.
  I feel like someone had to have done all this before.

Does anyone have a set of boot discs? Or maybe a CD of at least one other game they can send me a copy of? Or maybe just the trick of creating a boot disc for each game, with Instructions how to make the iso and modified game.files?

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, but no need to re invent the wheel.

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 02:40:56 AM »
I DID IT!  Phase 2 Complete...in theory.

So I was finally able to make a boot disc that could boot other games.  I had a hell of a time trying to get the right settings for the Wild Monkeys, got so many errors, my laptops so slow at burning discs, and it kept coming back saying my theme was designated incorrectly.  So since there's a configuration screen you can get to at the last step of power on, I figured my best bet was to configure for games there.  The game selection/jurisdiction/perecentages are locked fields, but my goal was to unlock them.

So instead of making a boot disc for a specific game, I used the current game "Monster Money" as kind of a default game, and toggled the fields for the THEME / Percents/ Jurisdiction to "true", which allowed me to change them.  This was all done in the folder/file:

powerpit/slots/default.conf

This lets me utilize the slots boot sequence to go to an OPTIONS page, and since I unlocked the themes, I can now select ALL of the games (folders of games).

The main part that was messing me up apparently was they defined 8 different game "types", video slot 1-8.  Monster Money is video slot 1, and Wild Monkeys is 3, duh!  The other thing I've struggled through is the verification*.* file has ALL the scripts CRC checked.  And for some reason, I can't figure out which CRC check It does.  Its definitely the CRC16 output (4 hex numbers) type, but the crc calculators I find never have the same output as what the file has, or what the game gives.  So luckily this error is logged on the screen.  Basically my method is stupid.  I change my file, accept that the verification file is going to fail the CRC, and capture the actual output it gives me.  And than put that back into my image, and remake everything.  Whatever, it works.

So now I can toggle through all of them, and select them.  It takes a bit of time to actually do this boot process, so I'll check them all out tomorrow, but here's some pics to prove success!

Games:  American Star, Area51, Box Office, Buck Bonanza, Caesars, Golden 7s, Jackpot Gems, Jackpot Hunter, Wild Jumping Jungle, Monster Money, Mummy Hunter, Storybook Fantasy (Princess), Spanish Gold, Tiki Treasure, Wild Eagle, Wild Monkey.

I'm going to put all my learnings into a notes document for myself, and can make a HOW TO separate post. 

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 06:15:31 PM »
References of the game themes, which "video slot #" they are, and percentages (missing some percentages atm).  These are the required field updates you'd need to update your default.conf file, to make a hardcoded boot disc image for any specific game theme.  ie

TYPE "Video slot 3"
THEME "Wild Monkeys"
PERCENTAGE 90.17

Everything else can remain static, but these 3 are tied together.  To make the boot disc "configurable" at the options page to change the games, set these values to "true"

CHANGE_THEME true
CHANGE_TYPE true
CHANGE_PERCENTAGE true

REFERENCE MATERIAL BELOW:

Video Slot 1         <90.12, 92.75, 94.83, 97.00>
-Monster Money
-Storybook
 -Area 51
-Tiki Treasure
-Jackpot Hunter
-Casesars
-Wild Jungle
-Box Office Bucks

Video Slot 2          <88.26, 90.96, 92.78>
-Spanish Gold

Video Slot 3         <87.84, 90.17, 92.41>
-Wild Monkey
-Wild Eagle

Video Slot 4         <87.81, 90.36, 92.39>
-Mummy Hunter
-Jackpot Gems

Video Slot 5         <00.00>
-future game (NOT A REAL GAME)

Video Slot 6         <88.86, 90.75, 92.57>
-Buck Bonanza
-American Star

Video Slot 7         <88.89, 90.20, 92.09>
-Trolls Treasure

Video Slot 8         <88.89, 90.20, 92.09>
-Golden 7s
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:31:44 PM by MacGUYver »

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »
More pics.  So far most games are working, except Storybook.  It had an internal error saying the images aren't linked properly.  I'll try to fix it.  It also looks like I'll be able to insert/modify my own *.gifs.  phase 3 will commence soon!

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
Pics

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 01:59:38 PM »
Pics

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »
Troll treasure seems to be a dead game too, but doesn't give me a hint why yet.  I'll investigate.

More pics!  This one seems kinda weird/interesting

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
Wild eagle pics

Offline MacGUYver

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
Alright, seriously, no one cares? No one has an IGI?  Or did everyone already do all this and just not share?

I keep forgetting to do phase 3. Maybe this weekend.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal