New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: New owner of a IGT Gameking 3902 V4.0? Questions about swapping games and denom  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Danger86

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Danger86 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Hey all,

I just picked up a Gameking Slant 3902 v4.0 I believe. It's got 27 games on it. Has a 19 inch LCD monitor and MEI Bill acceptor.

I will get a list of all the games tomorrow after work. But it has about 11 poker games, Blackjack, 8 slots, and probably like 7 keno games.
Games that it has for sure:
Black Rhino
Super 8 Line
Diamond Mine
Double Bucks
On the Prowl
Wild Flower
Lion Fish
Super 8 Race
Super keno
Triple Diamond Keno
3, 6, 9 Keno
2, 4, 6 Keno
4 Card Keno
Keno
Top Bottom Keno

Plus a bunch of poker that I will check tomorrow evening and list.

My question would be is it possible to easily remove certain games from the list and add different ones? I don't really care for Keno that much so I wouldn't mind removing a few of them and possibly a couple of the slot games I don't care for to add additional slot games like enchanted unicorn, Used Cars, Tabasco, South Park, Price Check, Munsters, and Double Diamond?

What would I need to do in order to make the swap while keeping the rest of the games that I have? The other thing I would like to do is swap some of the games around to different denominations. From what I've read I believe I'd need a 22 key set to perform that?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
No, unfortunately you can't.  You have to change the entire game set out.  3902 I-game software such as you mentioned (used cars, tabasco, etc) are single game software sets.  So if you want to play Tabasco you'd have to remove the Game King 4.0 software set you have and install the Tabasco software set in its place.

Assuming you have a multi-denomination Game King software set yes, you can change the game selection and denominations however you'd like.  You can only have 12 games enabled per denomination though.  You have to key the machine to do it and most Game King 4.0 sets use Key 17.  If you post the numbers from your Base and GME EPROMS we can tell you for sure.

Offline Danger86

• NLG
Yes it is a multi denomination unit.

I've heard people mention upgrading to an 044 board. What advantage would that have? Would it allow me to add more games like I had mentioned before?

If not I read something about people buying additional boards to swap in and out?

I will get the chip numbers when I get home tonight

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
Welcome to the world of Game Kings!

You could swap out all the chips, but the easier way is to buy additional CPU (sometimes called MPU) trays, as you mentioned, for different games and a supply of EEPROMs (they're cheap!) to store the data for all your games.

But be warned: once you start down the multi-game path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will!

I started with a humble Game King like you — and now I'm up to 16 games!  :rotfl:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 04:50:56 PM by smoothgrh »

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
Actually, here's a question that I've been wondering about: is the 3902 tray for a slant top the same as for an upright machine?

Offline Danger86

• NLG
Here are the pictures of the board etc.
Also two additional questions. Is it ok to just unplug the machine to turn it off? Secondly, after it's been off for a day when I plug it in everything powers on. The monitor stays black though. It responds to touch so you could play a game but the screen is black. If I unplug the machine and plug it back in it powers on and I get the initializing system screen and then it works perfectly. After that if I turn the machine off and back on the screen comes on right away.

Pictures are too big. I'll have to resize them.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Photos have to be under 1MB to post here.

Something is failing in your monitor.  Could be bad caps, or a thermal intermittent semiconductor, or cold (cracked) solder joints..  Often (but not always) caps will show visible signs of failure such as bulging tops or leaking electrolyte.

Offline Danger86

• NLG
Attached are some of the pictures

Offline Danger86

• NLG
And some more

Also in regards to something starting to fail on the monitor. Is that repairable or will I just use it until it fails all together and be stuck buying a new monitor? It is a Kortek KT L190A-22(DT)

Believe it is a 19 pin if that matters at all. There are 25 spaces but only 19 have a contact in them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 11:15:25 PM by Danger86 »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
That's an 044 MPU with a legacy adapter board installed that allows it to run 3902 game software.  Native 044 software is loaded on a flash card.  You can read about the differences here:

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=880.msg3985#msg3985

You have a 25 pin monitor, it's determined by the number of pin holes, not the actual number that are populated with pins.  Gets confusing sometimes because IGT had 19 and 25 pin monitors, but the 25 pin has 19 pins installed and sometimes people count those and say they have a 19 pin monitor when it's really a 25 pin.

Edit. I just noticed you said it does have a LCD monitor, I was thinking it was a CRT for some reason.  You may have an inverter going bad or the CCFLs may be failing.  The inverter is a fairly common failure item, easy to replace and fairly cheap, I'd try that first.

Your monitor is a 25 pin, it goes by the number of pin holes, not the number of them that are populated.

Offline Danger86

• NLG
Thank you for the info. So given that this has an 044 are there any advantages to that vs a standard 3902 mpu or not really being it's got the legacy board on it?

Do you sell the inverter I'd need?

Offline a69mopar

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 83
  • a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
    • www.gtaslots.com
I've had a number of the kortek and tovis monitors that the power supply went out on.  The other things that were mentioned also. Is the led on when the screen is black?.

Thanks,
Wayne

Offline Danger86

• NLG
I've had a number of the kortek and tovis monitors that the power supply went out on.  The other things that were mentioned also. Is the led on when the screen is black?.

Thanks,
Wayne

Yes when the screen is black during the initial attempt to power on the little led is green.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
Thank you for the info. So given that this has an 044 are there any advantages to that vs a standard 3902 mpu or not really being it's got the legacy board on it?

Do you sell the inverter I'd need?

They made some improvements to the sound, video resolution, processor, memory etc.  Nothing you'd probably notice playing a regular I-game.  The flash cards have more memory than SIMM cards so they were able to make some better Game King multi-game packages for it.  A favorite of many is Super Star Poker,  It has single hand poker games, multihand poker games (3/5/10play), spin poker, ultimate X poker, super times pay poker, blackjack, keno games, and some I-games including full versions of Coyote Moon and Wolf Run. 

The downside of the 044 is the MPU is expensive compared to a 3902 board and the flash cards are a bit pricey too.  The flash cards are also static sensitive so always ground yourself before handling one and hold it by the edges.

I may have an inverter board for it.  I'd need to see a picture of yours and a part number to know for sure.

Offline Danger86

• NLG
I will pull the monitor out tomorrow and get some pictures. I'm assuming I just need to take the back metal cover off to get you what you need to see?

Also looking at some of the 044 topics I think you may have posted this picture of an 044 conversion. If I got rid of the legacy board and put a flashboard could I have this same look with the tabs and those same games?

Sorry to be asking a million questions. Just trying to figure things out. I would have liked to have bought a lot newer machine but this was what I could afford.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
Correct on both accounts.  The inverter board is normally a small rectangular board about and inch wide and 5-6 inches long. 

Yes, if you swap the legacy adapter for a flashboard (programmed with the appropriate software) you will have tabbed menus like the one shown (which is a Game King 6.X).  If you go that route make sure to get a developer's bootchip to go with it.  It has built in keychip functions and allows you to skip power up memory tests which will have your machine booting in seconds rather than minutes.

Contact member Sixcardmark, he may still have some flashcards available if you're interested in going that route.

Offline Danger86

• NLG
Correct on both accounts.  The inverter board is normally a small rectangular board about and inch wide and 5-6 inches long. 

Yes, if you swap the legacy adapter for a flashboard (programmed with the appropriate software) you will have tabbed menus like the one shown (which is a Game King 6.X).  If you go that route make sure to get a developer's bootchip to go with it.  It has built in keychip functions and allows you to skip power up memory tests which will have your machine booting in seconds rather than minutes.

Contact member Sixcardmark, he may still have some flashcards available if you're interested in going that route.

I will try to get the back of the monitor apart this weekend and snap a picture of the inverter board.

Thank you, I will reach out to him. I definitely think I want to go the 6.x route. Looks like more poker games, plus more slots so a win win going that route. Thank you for all the help so far and I'll get the inverter pic posted this weekend.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
OK.  Here's PSRs for GK6.4 and Super Star Poker so you can see what each one has game wise.

Offline Danger86

• NLG
[
I may have an inverter board for it.  I'd need to see a picture of yours and a part number to know for sure.

Here are pictures of the monitor. So originally it would turn on after the second try. Now it's taking 3 tries. Every time the touch works regardless of if the screen is black or not.

Offline Danger86

• NLG
Here are the rest of the pictures I took.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal