New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: MAME installed but not working on Windows  (Read 5128 times)

Offline F0ggy

• Electronic Thaumaturgist
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • F0ggy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
MAME installed but not working on Windows
« on: December 05, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
MAME 0204b_64bit installed - Unzipped rom files into roms directory. I start MAME and have the screen below. Start Barbaric Deuces and end up with the second screen. None of the buttons work. The "Change Request ... Calling Attendant" just flashes on the top of the screen.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: MAME installed but not working on Windows
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
You don't really need to unzip the files, just put the zip file in the rooms directory.  You probably have to key and setup the game like you do on a real Player's Edge plus machine to get it going.  I haven't setup a mame PE+ game yet, so somebody else will have to chime in for this.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline F0ggy

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:26:48 AM »
I unzipped the master file leaving a bunch of zipped files in the rom directory.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 12:34:47 PM »
You have to clear the errors:

Open door hit "o"
It will say  "Door Open CMOS DATA"
Hold down reset "K" until you hear a beep.
Close door hit "o"
Hit Jackpot reset "L"
Open door
Now it should display "EEPROM DATA"
Hit reset "K"
Should switch to a blue screen with the cards.
Close door "O" and play.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Rep

• 5 of a kind masta!
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Rep New User has no influence.
  • HAPPY Game King and PE+ Owner! Thanks NLG! <3 :)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:37:19 PM »
rick is correct its literally the exact same procedure as with a real PE+ machine since it's fully emulated. Gotta clear the errors in the same manner. Will just depend on the chipset as certain procedures are different as far as jackpot reset and the test switch presses, etc

Offline F0ggy

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
Thanks Rick Hunter :applause: 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:22:55 PM by F0ggy »

Offline F0ggy

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »
I can't figure out how to enable bill validator. I believe after I do that "Bill in" is 6

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
With zero credits on the machine, exit emulator.  Run the Player Edge set chip 038.  It will run and tell you to remove eprom.  Quit emulation.  Go to the NVRAM directory of the poker game you want to enable the validator.  Copy the two files in that directory.  Go to the Set038 directory in NVRAM and paste those two files over the existing one.  Run the Setchip38 emulation again, this time it will come up with the denomination and then you hit spin to enable validator (I believe is the letter "Q").  save the settings by pressing "K" (reset button) and quit emulation.  Then copy/paste the two files in the set38 directory over to the directory of the poker game you originall got those two files from.  This will enable the validator.

Here's a youtube video of a guy actually doing the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx-R1F8u62Y

Offline Rep

• 5 of a kind masta!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
ricks procedure again is spot on, however there was a bug with the PE+ driver where even using the SET038 adding credits via bills wasn't working and I'm not sure it's been fixed as of yet. If this is the case just use an older version of MAME I wanna say the bug appeared around 0.194 or so, so since I'm not totally sure of the version just grab like .0180 or something WAY before. This is all ofc assuming the bug hasn't been fixed. Just a heads up for ya

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
Mame 180 works, anything after that doesn't work.  I've tried 204 and it's a no go.

Offline Rep

• 5 of a kind masta!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:40 PM »
Yikes was it THAT long ago? 24 RELEASES?!?! I I wasn't sure of that and I didn't believe they did fix it. Making a mental note and will download 180 to have a working BV, They really need to get that fixed would be esp confusing to new users, they'll use the SET038 properly and question themselves when it's a bug. I wonder what broke it? It worked great for the longest time... Strange. Thanks for the info rick gonna snag 180 rn so I have it

Offline F0ggy

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »
I now have both  180 and 204b installed and neither one will let me use "6" to add money. I noticed when I use the button self test screen when I press "6" the bill acceptor flashes but so does Hold 4 and what would be Hold 6 if there was a description at that location. No money is added to the game when door is closed. The "5" will add single coins when pressed. The games I am trying to add bill acceptor to  2066, 0057, 0515 they all show set 038.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:28:37 PM by F0ggy »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 05:46:27 PM »
make sure you have the game is set to credit play and not "player initated or cash"  it is one of the options after you press open door and press the reset key "K" various times.

Offline Rep

• 5 of a kind masta!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 08:50:19 PM »
Check the tab menu as well, I believe under machine options and see what the BV protcol is set id ID-022 or 023 and try the other one. I have had several sets that the default setting was wrong for and changing it fixed the issue. It's just a simple dipswitch on the actual BV on a real mahine

Offline F0ggy

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 10:05:44 PM »
It is on all the games I've tried.

Offline F0ggy

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »
I SET iD 23 TO iD 23  Pressing "6" now works intermittently and must be pressed upwards of 15 times to get 100 credits but not every time I try it. Still trying to find what makes it do it.

Offline Rep

• 5 of a kind masta!
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »
It's always been a bit finicky but worked for me in old versions for about 5 bills. I would just press 6 and wait a couple secs and it would add credits but like I said after the 5th or so bill it would do nothing so I just pressed f3 to reset the machine emulation and was good for another 5 bills or so

Offline Heihachi_73

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Heihachi_73 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 04:45:51 AM »
Also remember that in the dip switch menu you can change the bills to $100s if you want fast money. But yes, it only works on old releases (I swap to 0.182 when I need credits) and not the latest, despite MAMEdev insisting that you only ever use the latest versions at all times! MAME devs don't have any time at all for slot machines it seems (at least the PE+ games have a bill acceptor; the Aristocrat MKV (MK5) video slots are dying for one to be implemented but there is literally no-one interested in touching the source code).

Offline Rep

• 5 of a kind masta!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 01:33:58 AM »
Newest version only is hogwash. If they didn't introduce bugs and then take months if not years to correct them at times then it would be different. I have about 4 specific versions I keep to avoid issues introduced later that went unaddressed/unrepaired later on. Sure the latest will have support for the most games, but the key is not the BEST support for older releases. Like I said I keep about 4 specific versions, 1 for the PE+ BV issue and others for older arcade games. If all ya use MAME for is PE+ until the BV issue is fixed there's NO reason to not use an older version to add credits much more easily. Just my $0.02 (and this is not a new issue, I've used MAME since the 90's, ongoing thing for years and years)

Offline Heihachi_73

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Heihachi_73 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:15 PM »
I have added the MAME Testers bug report link to this topic for anyone else in the future wondering why it doesn't work, apparently the bug was only submitted in April this year despite the change being over a year prior.

06947:  All sets in peplus.cpp: Bill acceptor not working on sets that support it

The only change to the bill acceptor code seems to be here:

peplus: fix CID: 138606 "Logical vs. bitwise operator"

-      return (0x70 || m_in0->read()); // Add Bill Validator Credit Pulse
+      return (0x70 | m_in0->read()); // Add Bill Validator Credit Pulse

Changing the single | (vertical bar) back to || as it was prior to 0.184 fixes it, at least in my 0.189 test build - I haven't updated MAME in a long time.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal