New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S+ to S2000 Conversion Project  (Read 5816 times)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 405
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
S+ to S2000 Conversion Project
« on: November 03, 2020, 12:55:06 AM »
I had an old S+ cabinet sitting around gathering dust.  :guilty:

I wasn't doing anything with it but I had a bunch of S2000 parts laying around gathering dust too... :duh: :guilty: :guilty:

One rainy day  :gloomy: with not much to do, a sleepy  :zzzz: Sunday really  :sleep:

an idea popped into my head! :idea_2: 

I really couldn't find  :sherlock: any instructional manual on how to convert an S+ into an S2000 :arrowthruhead:

so I asked around for some S2000 metal guts, more parts and began to convert my S+ cabinet into an S2000. :arrowthruhead:

Can it be done? :Scratch-Head: Hell ya!  :rotfl:

Here's how I'm doing it...>>>

First, I completely gut out the S+ cabinet... right down to bare bones...leaving only the door on but that too is stripped of all parts too.

Click on any photo to enlarge....>>.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 01:15:47 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S+ to S2000 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 12:57:24 AM »
Then I carefully remove the left and backside side laminate because I'm going to have self tapping screws going thru the cabinet walls.
I can glue back on the original laminate later on or go buy some new sheets to put on later?  :scratch-head_2: I don't know yet.

Now, I locate the inner panel of the MPU "cage" against the left wall to see what I need to remove to allow it to lay flush against the cabinet wall.
I marked out a couple of screws and metal tie-offs that need to be cut out with a hand grinder with a good new metal cutting disk.

This part is dangerous so it was important to wear the proper safety equipment such as goggles, leather gloves and a face shield.
Ears plugs are optional because of the noise but I'm half deaf anyways so the noise didn't bother me.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 12:58:45 AM »
Then I placed the inner cage panel back against the back wall and into the floor groove I cut out with the grinding wheel.
(The outer panel has a tab that is inserted into this "groove."}

At this point, I drilled a single small self-tapping screw to secure the inner panel into the cabinet.
Remember, the back laminate is peeled off for now - to allow me to grind of the excess length of the screws sticking out the back of the cabinet.

I will actually take that single screw back out after grinding it flush with the back of the cabinet,
apply some RED threadlock to the threads and reinstall.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:18:33 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 01:00:33 AM »
Now, place the rear protective heat plastic onto the backplane studs and secure the backplane board with 7 screws.

I like to start with the top center screw loosely, put in the other 6 screws, then hand tighten with a Philips screwdriver.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:20:15 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:02:03 AM »
Next move is to attach the outer panel of the "cage" and secure that with a single screw on the bottom hole.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 01:02:49 AM »
Now is a good time to slide in an MPU tray to keep out anything that might fall into there such as screws, nuts or washers. :yes:

The MPU cage is slightly loose at this point because the reel shelf isn't yet attached to it which will make the whole unit more stable and stiff.

Tomorrow we will install a reel tray to be perfectly aligned up with the center payline of a reel glass. :cool_thumb_up:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:20:44 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »
okay...we need to do a couple of things before we can add an S2000 reel shelf to this cabinet.

First  :Professor: we have to install the WBA cage to the inside right wall of the cabinet.

These WBA cages have that single bolt hole that attaches to the shelf - which will help in assisting us later as an "extra hand".

5 nuts secures it to the cabinet standoffs using a 7mm socket with an extension.

There's 3 vertical holes and 2 horizontal lugs under the cage itself.

You can remove the little cherry switch on this cage on the bottom right...it's not needed for home use.

A small 5mm socket takes care of the pair of nuts holding it, if you want or......

You can take your electric hand grinder and remove it right off the cage if you wish.  :rotfl:

We're never  :no: going to use that little PITA cashbox door switch again ever!   :Tongue_Out:

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 10:09:13 PM »
I must add...the picture above should be the next step.... :duh:

The bottom guide rail plate in the cash box cage needs to come off so the WBA cash boxes can fit in.

To remove, I secured the cage in a vise, and drilled out the four spot welds with a 13/64" high speed drill bit...

then you can do the step in the above Reply... :cool_thumb_up:

Wear goggles when doing any drilling or cutting or grinding!
You only have ONE set of eyes!

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »
okay...once you have the cage attached to the wall, you need to put in the transport unit of the WBA.

You sort of drop it in near the top of the cage and slip it onto two small metal lugs on the floor of the cage.

There are two small screws that need to go into the rear of the cage to secure the transport guide.

For this, I recommend a long magnetic screwdriver!

Click on photo to enlarge to see how far in the back those two little suckers need to go in!...>>>

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 10:30:41 PM »
Now you can slide in the WBA and it's respective metal cash box to see how it all fits.  :sherlock:

Later on when we install the harnesses, we will slide back out the WBA and install the beau plug wires & housing the bill acceptor connects to.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
In order for an S2000 reel shelf to fit correctly onto the tab on top of the WBA cage, yo have to notch out a tiny bit of the underside of the shelf.

What I did was place the shelf into the machine and lined up the tab hole with the shelf hole.

Underneath it, I drew a line with a magic marker then removed the shelf and put it into a vise.

Using a hand grinder with a sharp bi-metal disc, I cut out a slot for the tab to fit into.

Below are before and after pics of the tab cut-out I had to do...>>>

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 11:04:01 PM »
Install the newly modified reel shelf onto the WBA cage tab with a single screw!

This will give you a helping hand as we make small adjustments to securing each side of the reel shelf to the cabinet walls.

Any photo posted in this S+2S2k Conversion Project can easily be viewed larger by clicking on it...>>>
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 01:19:00 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 11:45:12 PM »
Stick some reel strips onto the reel baskets and install onto the reel shelf.

It doesn't matter whether you're working with a 3, 4, or 5 reel shelf...what IS important is that the reel glass is the correct one for the reels that you're using.

All the attachment points on the reel shelves are the same in an S2000 when installing into an S+ cabinet.

Anyways, install a single line reel glass and secure with the reel glass fluorescent light holder bracket.

Close the door and see if the center of the strip symbols line up PERFECTLY with the center Payline.

If they do, then it's time to secure the reel shelf to the walls of the cabinet with a couple of sheet metal screws!  :cool_thumb_up:

All we need to do is make sure the rims of the reel baskets and strips do not touch the back top of the reel glass display panel.

3/32" to 3/16" of an inch is a sufficient amount of clearance to avoid reel [41, 42, 43] errors.

Tomorrow we'll work on installing the power supply, power distribution box, backlight reel controller boards.

I'll also have to cut out a couple of rectangular holes for the topbox wiring harnesses - specifically the Molex housing mounting trays.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 01:12:16 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
Re: S+ to S2000 Conversion Project
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
After checking the alignment of the reel strips to the reel glass Payline, it's time to fasten the reel shelf securely.
There are little differences  :sherlock: in the S+ and S2000 holes.
That where we'll drill a couple of self tapping screws to set the shelf.  :yes:

Also, the door latch nut hits ever so slightly against the WBA cash cage and needs a little bevel for easier door closure.
Ran a grinder on the nut/bolt at a 45° degree angle and the door closes perfectly.  :cool_thumb_up:

3 photos  :Take_a_Photo: below show:
Left side shelf fastener placement.
Right side fastener placement above the WBA.
The newly beveled door latch nut.

haha...I just noticed in the 2nd photo where I dropped a small screw earlier...it's laying on top of the WBA!  :rotfl:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:36:28 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline jay

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!
  • The only way to beat the casino is to own it.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »
Looking good so far.....
If you can't afford to lose you can't afford to win.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »
Thanks Jay :wave: ....just taking my time...wanna do a nice job!  :yes:
I forgot to mention that I used a medium blue threadlock to insure none of the self tapping screws work their way loose.
I could use a tap & die kit and fasten with IGT screws but it isn't necessary.
I'm not planning to remove these reel trays anytime soon... :rotfl:

Offline jay

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!jay Is an-NLG GOD!
  • The only way to beat the casino is to own it.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 06:38:39 PM »
Just when you do your 5 reel conversion.
If you can't afford to lose you can't afford to win.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 06:47:40 PM »
Just when you do your 5 reel conversion.
:24: :rotfl: I'll find out when that happens I guess! haha

Anyways, back to the Project at hand...lol

First, remove the reels from the shelf and place aside for now....you need some room to work.

Installing the Power Supply bracket is a piece of cake really.

Basically it goes on the back wall behind the reels about an inch above the reel shelf.

The right side of the power supply box is located about the center of the 2nd and 3rd reel...it's not rocket science!

Three self tapping screws drilled into the back wall after leveling off the bracket secures it fine...two on top, one in the middle bottom.

Two photos below show me drilling in last screw and the the PWR Supply hung onto the rail back in there...>>>

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »
Okay...the next part is kinda fun.

I'm trying to utilize original S+ cabinet lugs and attachment points/standoffs as much as possible. :yes:

This is the solution I've found that works securing a power Distribution panel box to the back wall of an S+. :cool_thumb_up:

There's a zip tie attachment standoff on the right above the power cord hole that will allow me to slip in the right tab of the PWR Dist. panel box.

Just below the S2000 backplane board is a lug that allows me to either install the box tab onto that lug but it would lay slightly crooked.

So my idea :idea_2: is to just locate the box tab right on top of the existing lug and thread a nut with a 9/32" socket to hold it.

The only way it would ever come off is if the entire machine was upside down...maybe  :Tongue_Out:

okay, I'm going eat something...I'm hungry!  :Eating_Cookie: :flip_pancake:

Anyways, here's some pictures showing you how it ends up.

Click on photos below to enlarge if needed...>>>

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 12:47:28 AM »
okay, decided to install an S2000 inner door panel.
There are some minor differences.

The door has mounting lugs for the VFD display circuit board and a slightly different attachment tab on the bottom left side of the panel.
The S+'s door panel has a tab the is flat against the door's bottom but the S2000's inner door panel has a tab that is vertical.
I had to make an bracket to grab that inner door panel tab.

I cut a 2" in length of sheet metal angle, drilled two holes where it would mount to the door's bottom where one of the lugs is really a blot that comes thru holding the clear plastic that is underneath the door....the other is the lug that holds the S+ inner door panel tab.

I secured the angle bracket to the door bottom and installed the S2000 door panel with two bolts on the door hinge side.
Then I clamped together my new angle to the tab and drilled a self tapping screw right thru both pieces.

All that was left to do was tighten the 2 door screws and this is the result!

The 1st photo is the installed S2000 inner door panel with the main door open.
The 2nd picture is the attached angle looking from the inside.The 3rd photo is what the angle looks like attached  while viewing from the belly glass side...>>>

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal