New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Haywire machine not working  (Read 4881 times)

Offline kimostabbe

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • kimostabbe New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Haywire machine not working
« on: April 06, 2023, 02:37:18 PM »
I took my haywire machine out of storage and had a low battery error 12. I soldered a new battery on the machine and replaced the board. On startup sometimes the jackpot bell rings and all lights come on(front of machine picture below). Other times the machine lights up without the reels spinning or coin lights illuminating.  I have tried the reset button and the jackpot key to attempt a reset. The door doesn’t show any errors at this time. The reels also do not spin on startup. I have included pics of the board and machine. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 05:14:40 PM by kimostabbe »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Haywire machine not working
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 10:03:32 PM »
Are the reels "stiff" when you power up, or do they spin freely (no friction at all)?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 04:52:53 AM »
The reels are free moving - not stiff. The coin accepted and insert coin lights are usually not lit either.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 12:24:27 PM »
You have a power issue then.  Look at this thread to see if it resembles your situation.
https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=28443.0
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 407
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 01:24:42 PM »
The battery you soldered....is it backwards?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 02:17:53 PM »
Hard to see in the picture but the battery is the correct way as indicated on the board.  Picture quality doesn't show that.

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 04:51:11 AM »
I agree...at 47kb, that picture is too small to see.
You're allowed up to 1000kb per photo.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 06:54:48 PM »
I checked the power connection issue. I do not see the discoloration notes in the attached thread. When I replaced the board all the lights came on but nothing else responded normally. I turned the machine off and back on and then the lights turned off and reels remained slack and free spinning.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 08:14:33 PM »
Not that one in your 1st photo....the Molex on the motherboard on the floor of the cabinet.
Take it off and turn it around to see the back of it.
It's zip-tied in the main harness, but it comes directly from the power supply.
Your motherboard and MPU is on the left-hand side floor of the cabinet right?
Your power supply in that older cabinet with the smaller deck buttons, should be in the middle of the floor towards the rear, and your power switch located on the right-hand side of the coin hopper rails.

With the power ON, gently wiggle the white 6-pin Molex housing upwards while watching the reels come to life, and also keep an eye on the back of the reel glass display.
You may see the denomination light turn on as well (If the lamp is not burned out).
What you're trying to accomplish is somewhat of a new pin contact inside of the Molex and the male motherboard pins.
Wiggling the Molex plug upwards slightly, may give you that better contact, until you get some contact cleaner onto those male and female pins.
If you're successful, you will feel the reels will have some fair resistance, the denomination light should be ON as well.
When you close the door, the INSERT COIN lamp on the reel glass display should turn on too.

Also, do NOT remove or install that MPU while the power switch is ON, or you will be crying when you see how much an MPU board costs.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 12:52:55 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 06:46:45 AM »
Can you narrow down the connector to check based on this picture

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 12:46:07 PM »
It's in this little yellow circle I've drawn in the mess of wires on top of the motherboard.

In an S+, the "motherboard" is the board the MPU plugs into on the floor of the cabinet into the J8 location.

You can see these plug locations etched in white lettering directly upon the circuit board next to the plug.

Some people like to call the motherboard on an S+ a "backplane" board because basically, that's what it is....either name works.

Anyways, your white Molex motherbaord power connector has two orange wires, a brown, a blue wire, and two green wires.

You'll find it under that row of wires under the yellow circle.
Attached to this Reply #10 is a link to the layout of an S+ motherboard below.
I've also attached a drawing of the voltages that the different pins inside of the Molex connector.

Clcik on any link below to enlarge if needed...>>>

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 07:50:26 AM »
I cleaned and checked the connectors. There does not appear to be any discoloration. I worked it back and forth as suggested with no change to the reels or lights.
while plugging the molex in the reels moved slightly and the speaker crackled but nothing was different after that.  I sprayed contact cleaner and worked to plug a few times with no improvement. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 08:38:17 AM »
Try wiggling that motherboard power harness slightly upwards to get a different contact on the male pins.
I'm only talking a 1/4 inch or so upwards.
If you see and feel the reels become energized and somewhat locked into place with some resistance, that means the power supply should be okay.

I have a couple of questions.
Do you have a multimeter and are able to use it to see how much power is coming out of the power supply Molex pins?
Have you checked the three fuses on the power supply panel?
Top= 6A
Middle=8A
Bottom=6A
All must be quick-blow fuses.

Your fluorescent lighting may have burned out starters and are not able to turn on the tubes.
Don't worry too much about that right now.
You may just have to get a few starters....one for the reel glass, one for the topbox and one for the belly glass on the door panel.
The power for those tubes comes from the bus bar on the floor just to the right behind the beau plug of the hopper plug that has all the black and white wires with the red stripes.
Be careful not to touch anything there while powered up...lot more voltage there....as much as 115 and 220 VAC
If you have curly hair, it WILL be straightened out....lol

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 07:33:54 AM »
Fuses are all in tact and the florescent lights all work.

Im only seeing 12.1v on metering 1-6
24.1 metering 5-6
2.1 metering 2-3
2.6 metering 2-4

power supply?

where is a good place to track one down and ensure i get the right one?

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 09:32:37 AM »
you have any early model s plus machine, that entire bottom unit is the power supply!, I doubt you will find one of those.

meter is measuring AC voltage,

did you check the fuses with a meter?
some times the fuse caps are bad and the fuse does not make contact. there is a spring in the holder that gets compressed and is intermittent, pull the board out and try measuring the AC voltages again. 

that bottom unit is easily removed, it would allow you to actually measure the continuity from the fuses to the motherboard connector, and through the fuse holder itself.

Take pictures of all the connections before you remove, then you will have a reference.

Hope this helps

Jim 

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 07:20:00 PM »
I have an entire power supply for that type of cabinet if you'd like.
The shipping would be out of this world though...it's heavy as heck!

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 09:46:54 AM »
I found an issue with the 8amp fuse and replaced it.  The reels are stiff on power up and the voltages are more in line with what should be seen.  when i replaced the molex the jackpot bell and denomination and coin accepted light lit up as well as power to the coin comparator.  When I cycled power and shut the door the machine did not funtion.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 10:59:33 AM »
While you were checking the power supply harness to see what power was coming out, did you have your multimeter on the AC or DC setting?
All the numbers I gave to you in the voltage diagram drawing in Reply #10 are in VAC.
You did not indicate if the readings you got were in AC or DC voltages.

Reels have resistance and are "stiff"...excellent....you're headed in the right direction.
Here's the thing, you found a blown fuse....that's NOT good because what shorted it out in the 1st place?
Machines don't short out because they're "in storage"...did rodents eat wiring?
You need to investigate why that happened.

Your door may be physically closed, but the machine ONLY READS if the emitter and reciever optics are seeing each other, or not.
Make sure that they are aligned to "see" each other when the door latch is in the fully down position.
The machine will NOT accept any coins until you fix the door optics, or until you bypass them.

One way to kind of check is to watch the [Coins Played] window on the display panel as you move the door latch downwards.
When the optics "see" each other, whatever number that is in the display, will momentarily go out for a few seconds, THEN come back on.
If your door optics are NOT working correctly, that number in the [Coins Played] display window does NOT go out momentarily....it just stays on.
This is when you have to check a few other things.

I also notice that your red display panel isn't displaying any numbers at all.
Open the door and press the "Service Coin" button on the bottom of the coin-in optics board below the coin comparitor.
Each press of that button will add one credit up to the max bet of your game to the Coins Played] window on the red display panel.
Let us know if you can do that.

Finally, let us know what you see when playing with the door latch.
We'll be able to give you further diagnosing tips to help you get your machine running the way it's supposed to.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:03:21 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline kimostabbe

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 12:13:30 PM »
I have tried to play with the door switch and nothing changes.  The switch is two gold sensors with red/white wires on the cabinet and red/black wires on the door side.  at present the coin comparitor is not lit up so pressing the button below it does nothing.

The voltages i listed were AC volts

1-6 12.2v
5-6 24.9 v
2-4 8.5v
2-3 7.2v

again after metering and replacing the molex the jackpot bell and light were all illuminated.  I have yet to see the credit (red lights) work.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2023, 05:55:16 AM »
That coin comparitor led light only comes on when the door is physically closed with the optics facing each other.

So with the door being opened, it is OFF....however, the Service Credit button under the coin-in optics board SHOULD work with the door opened.
It's designed for floor technicians to add credits to test the operation of the machine without actually putting any coins in.
The "switch" you're speaking of are the door optics....there are two of them.
The one one the door is the emitter optic...it emits an infrared beam to the reciever optic on the cabinet.
Or does "switch" to you mean the door latch?  :scratch-head_3:

You're correct about the wire colors for the door optics.
Your voltages read are close to what they should be going to the motherboard header.

It seems that you tried pressing the Service Credit button on the coin-in optics under the coin comparitor and no credits went to the display that you can see.
But that doesn't mean that the credits didn't get sent to the MPU....there may be a broken ground wire on that display board?
Wiggle the connector to that display...might be a loose connection on the pins?

Press the Service Credit button again and then press the SPIN button on the button deck..it's possible the reels will spin...try it.

Finally...."the jackpot bell and light were all illuminated." ....Where is there a light on the jackpot bell?
Could you show me a picture of that?
It's really not that important though....what is important is that you get the door optics working so it will accept coins.
Check your wiring too....something caused the fuse to burn out right?
Only a short can do that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 06:26:21 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal