New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT S2000 MEI Bill Validator Issues  (Read 7841 times)

Offline marcbollinger

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • marcbollinger New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGT S2000 MEI Bill Validator Issues
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »
OK, here it goes - I've done a LOT of troubleshooting and just am at my wits end before ordering (expensive) parts.

Here is a video of what is happening:
Explanation:

I randomly started to have an issue where the MEI would start doing a winding reset and then the light would go off on the front door and/or result in a Bill Validator Comm Error. All 3 lights (green, yellow, red) steady on. This would occur during normal game play.

Now, no matter what I do, I can not get the MEI to do it's reset, even when powering on the machine or reseating it and the PCB.

Here are some details that might help:

- I have 2 MEI PCB Interface cards, same behavior on both. (One question, how easy are these to short? I placed them in the coin tray while I was swapping them out.. wondering if that did it)
- I have 2 MEI Cashflow readers, same behavior on both.
- I have an IGT S2000 Double Top Dollar and IGT S2k Triple Double Diamond Free Games, same behavior on both.
- I have 2 cash boxes, both in good condition
- The vision board in both machines seems to be working fine (no display errors)

The only thing I can think of is the MEI PCB cards have been shorted out (is there any way I can test with a multimeter?) It's an expensive part, so I want to try to narrow it down if I can.

Please excuse my ignorance, I recently got into slot machine repair, so I'm still learning the ropes. I've reviewed the FAQs and couldn't find anything close to this.

Best,
Marc

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 08:35:04 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
Re: IGT S2000 MEI Bill Validator Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:25:57 PM »
If I could delete this thread I would.... I ended up clearing and keying up both machines and the problem is gone.

I guess you can't swap out the PCB's for the MEIs without doing that process.

Best,
Marc

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:31:44 PM »
Well, as things typically go during the troubleshooting process, this was only a temporary fix. However, I can now reproduce the issue almost completely now:

1) Insert MEI PCB connector
2) Insert MEI Cashflow reader
3) Insert Cash Box
4) CLEAR
5) KEY and Config - All settings are correct
6) Bill Acceptor works and I'm able to feed as much cash in as I can without fail.
7) Open door, take money out of cash box. Bill Acceptor shows flashing green light (good)
 8) Close door, light does NOT come on front for bill
9) Open door, test switch, I/O tests, auto-config netplex, Auto-config Bill Validator (fails) - won't accept bills
10) Unseat and reseat bill validator, resets, shows flashing green light, repeat auto-config (fails) - won't accept bills

I've repeated this process with both MEI Validators I have, and both PCB connectors and cash boxes and it always behaves the same.

Is it possible I'm missing something? I've done this process so many times and don't think I'm missing any steps, but having a problem isolating the issue.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
It sounds as if the problem begins when you open the cash compartment door to remove the money. The bill validator works properly until you remove cash, then the bv doesn't work until you go thru the whole setup process again. Is there something about the cash compartment security switch that isn't getting activated when you close the cash compartment door? Can you bypass the security switches that have to do with the cash compartment and the bill validator?

I don't know much about the MEI bv setups, hopefully others will have some better suggestions.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
I would purchase a KNOWN working 6602 head and have a go at it.  If it works, then it's something with your validator heads (mostly likely need to be reflashed).
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
Both good suggestions, I appreciate it. I’ll be back at this tomorrow.

Know of a good place to get the 6602 heads for reasonable? They seem on the pricey side. I’ll also look around for a flash procedure.

UPDATE: I’m on the MEI forum now and see some things to try. I’ll report back, thank you guys.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:45:26 PM by marcbollinger »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 165
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:54:03 AM »
Try doing a Auto  configure in menu 4

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 04:54:22 AM »
Try doing a Auto  configure in menu 4

Yup, already tried that.

Offline ANIslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • ANIslots New User has no influence.
  • Zarobhr
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 05:09:12 AM »
by chance do you have your main door switch bypassed
reason i asked is on a few of my machines the belly door switch was bypassed, so when i opened belly door then open cashbox door and get the b open and bill validator error cause cash box removed, upon putting cashbox back in the bill validator error would not go away when closing main(belly door)
i had to open main door and close it  to reset it,
once i reenabled the belly door switchs problem went away
apparently the bv would not reset till after it detected my main door close.

just my experience and may have nothing to do with your issue

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
Trouble with 2 MEI Cashflows and PCBs
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 09:48:03 AM »
Hey all,

OK, so I'm having a problem with both of my MEI Cashflows in 2 separate machines. It's completely reproducible at this point and I'm not sure of the cause.

Summary:

The MEI's will accept cash after a CLEAR and KEY process, but then will quickly fail and "lockup", usually after the first time removing the cashbox and putting it back in.

Machine #1: IGT S2k Triple Double Diamonds FREE GAMES with MEI Cashflow 6602
Machine #2: IGT S2000 Double Top Dollar with MEI Cashflow 6602

Here is what Machine #1 does after clear+key: https://youtu.be/ko6JLvOOQK4

Here is what Machine #2 does (did a full key process on this one): https://youtu.be/flFYzaxIwOo

Now, some info:

I've tried swapping the heads, pcb and cashboxes between the machines and end up with the same result. Sometimes I will get a Bill Validator Comm Error, but usually I don't.

Basically, it will work for the first time I feed cash in, then it will fail after that in one of two ways:

1) MEI head will attempt to reset and stop in the middle with all 3 lights on (green, yellow, red)
2) MEI head will seem ready (flashing green light), but won't accept bills and NETPLEX can not find it any longer

Is it possible that I have 2 bad MEI heads and/or PCBs? Sadly, I don't have any other spare parts - would have to order more ($$$), so wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong first.

Thanks in advance!
Marc

(this post was originally in a separate thread, merged here because it is related to the same problem topic)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:37:28 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
by chance do you have your main door switch bypassed
reason i asked is on a few of my machines the belly door switch was bypassed, so when i opened belly door then open cashbox door and get the b open and bill validator error cause cash box removed, upon putting cashbox back in the bill validator error would not go away when closing main(belly door)
i had to open main door and close it  to reset it,
once i reenabled the belly door switchs problem went away
apparently the bv would not reset till after it detected my main door close.

just my experience and may have nothing to do with your issue

Nope, I haven't bypassed the main door :(

I recreated this topic over in the MEI sub-forum, I appreciate everyone's help and advice!
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=21745.0

Best,
Marc

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
Both good suggestions, I appreciate it. I’ll be back at this tomorrow.

Know of a good place to get the 6602 heads for reasonable? They seem on the pricey side. I’ll also look around for a flash procedure.

UPDATE: I’m on the MEI forum now and see some things to try. I’ll report back, thank you guys.

What do you consider pricey?  Most of the time the heads can be had for under $50.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »
Eh, that's reasonable, mostly talking about spininc with the crazy shipping ;p

Any recommendation on vendors besides posting a LTB on here?

Offline ANIslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • ANIslots New User has no influence.
  • Zarobhr
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
Eh, that's reasonable, mostly talking about spininc with the crazy shipping ;p

Any recommendation on vendors besides posting a LTB on here?

its been awhile but if you contect spininc directly and dont order from web the shipping gets more reasonable  if your buying multiple items
most web sites cant calculate shipping correclty for multiple items

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
Well, my post on the MEI sub-forum was deleted for some reason, I don't think I broke any rules, but shrug.

Anyway, I'm going to pick up a new MEI 6602 head and see what's up.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
It looked like it was a duplicate post to the one in this discussion thread so I deleted it. No need to have 2 separate discussion threads running for the same problem topic. Not a big infraction, just housekeeping to keep things tidy.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »
It's all good, I totally understand... was thinking it would be more appropriate in that sub-forum, but couldn't find a way to move it. :)

Here are two videos that I made on this issue:

Machine #1: https://youtu.be/ko6JLvOOQK4
Machine #2: https://youtu.be/flFYzaxIwOo

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
If you prefer to have this entire discussion thread moved to the MEI sub-forum I can do that. Just didn't want to have 2 threads in different places for the same problem topic, causes confusion since some people will reply in one thread and other people will reply in the 2nd one.

Offline marcbollinger

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
If you prefer to have this entire discussion thread moved to the MEI sub-forum I can do that. Just didn't want to have 2 threads in different places for the same problem topic, causes confusion since some people will reply in one thread and other people will reply in the 2nd one.

Yeah, if you wouldn’t mind moving it, that would be great. I appreciate you keeping the house clean. :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
ok, this discussion is now in the MEI bill validator sub-forum. Also, I resurrected that one post you had posted separate from this discussion and merged it in here. Due to the date & time you made that post it shows up as post #9 in this discussion. I think it reflects the state of your troubleshooting at the time it was made so may be helpful to the flow of thinking and give additional info to others. If you re-read it and want to change anything just click on "Modify" in the upper-right corner of the post to do an edit. Or if you want it removed entirely just let me know.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal