**Video Poker, Keno, Slots, 21** Gaming machines > IGT AVP (Including G20,G23)
IGT Fam 20 error
<< < (2/3) > >>
sixcardmark:

--- Quote from: Techguy on March 26, 2024, 08:44:24 AM ---Can a 660 CPU hold 8gb of ram? I though the max was 4gb?

--- End quote ---
Depends on the OS.  Fam14 uses different OS than fam20, 4gb max fam14, 8gb max fam20
sccarlso:
Getting harder to find DDR2 memory.   But was able to get a 4GB stick from two different sellers for 8GB.  Identical chips and worked perfectly.

They all have the same pics, and it's exactly what they look like, and specify for AMD only.   Here is one, but there are a few sellers of the same memory.
Some can't deliver for 3 weeks though, so I got mine via Amazon sellers with prime.  But the remaining sellers there don't have many left available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ3HN6Z/

Not sure if it actually would cause problems with 8GB in a fam14 OS.  But since fam14 is a 32bit OS, it wouldn't change anything as only like 3.3GB is actually addressable with a 32bit OS.   I only put 8GB in my 660 box with fam20 boots siince fam20 is a 64bit OS, so as Mark mentioned, 8GB works.  No reason to do so at all for fam14.   Pretty sure 8GB is the max supported memory in the AVP 3.0 motherboards (with a 64bit OS installed).
Techguy:
With regards to the error, the PCI card had two of the lights not working. Changed it and put new batteries in and everything worked fine.

I will definitely upgrade my ram because some games run a bit jerky with the audio skipping. Dark and Stormy is one game that's doing that so i guess the extra ram should help.

I put 4 games on the machine but ideally i would like to put 9 games.
sccarlso:
Dark & Stormy was fine for me with only 4GB.

It just had some audio clipping.  Going to 8GB improved that audio clipping.
Not flawless but much less noticeable.  Games loaded faster as well.

But you don’t want to load the latest & fattest OS & Ascent foundation either.  A 660 can’t use a lot of what’s in the huge versions anyway.  🙂

What OS & Ascent foundation versions did you load?
Retro tech repair:
The error in the picture is because the boot 2 chips is faulty or in backwards.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442

Go to full version