New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Mk6 video pcb failures  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Gene.loader

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Gene.loader New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Mk6 video pcb failures
« on: September 02, 2021, 02:53:45 PM »
Hi team. Over the years I’ve noticed that most second hand dual screen aristocrat mk6 machines have a failed secondary video pcb. I know the fans fail and get noisey but is that the reason for failure, ie the chipset overheats etc?

I see the odd reworked pcb for sale on eBay, are these actually reworked ie reflowed chipsets or just eBay seller lies.

Anyone know the exact point of failure. I used to do component level repair for an IT company and have the skills and equipment to fix some of these if I know where to start.

Any help is appreciated
Cheers

Offline Shaneomac

• Shaneomac New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Mk6 video pcb failures
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 04:32:20 PM »
got about 5 failed ones at home myself. not exactly sure what the problem is but they stop showing up in machines. had some that reboot the machines also like a watchdog error so must be shorting somewhere. have had them fail when fans are working as well. I have noticed there is a couple of different fans around and have tried to put the ones with a silver tape on the bottom of the heatsink on the chip, seems it would have a better thermal property to me but i only have one working one left now.

have a few xp boards also with failed videos chips so just assume its the chip overheating and dying. was going to try thermal paste on all my boards but havent so far.

Offline Gene.loader

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 05:30:10 PM »
I used to be involved in component level repair of early 2000s notebook pcbs. Most chipset failures at that period were due to the newer lead free solder that would crack rather than flex due to thermal expansion and contraction etc, about the same period as these were made so am guessing the same issue. we used to reflow the solder either with a IR machine or flow bath, sometimes a manufacturer didn’t want to pay for that process so they got the heat gun method. I’ve used this heat gun method on Xbox 360 and various arcade pcbs and had mixed success. I found a heat gun and laser thermometer allow me to give accurate heat etc. I’ve resurrected 1 video board out of 10 and it’s still going after 3 months. I only have 2 working video boards and also need a better solution.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »
I see you are talking about video monitor displays. This may not apply but I will put my 2 cents in. I am sure both these methods would be damaging to screens, so just boards. I wouldn't put an lcd or led screen in either an oven or freezer. :talktothehand:

Laptop bad video chip repair/reball procedure  - wrap board in tin foil, place in oven at ( I think 200 degrees) for ( I think 30 minutes ). Google for correct info.

I remember bringing a couple back to life a few years ago.

Guy at work Googled and found -  put it in freezer for X minutes/hours and that was supposed to do the same/similar thing as oven.  I basically told him don't believe everything he Googles on the web. He came in the next day and said it worked. He used the laptop for another year.
(maybe Ripleys believe it or not on that one)

Anyway, maybe it's all just urban myth??

Had to share.

Tony
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Gene.loader

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 08:00:26 PM »
Haha, yup we are not putting the lcd assembly into the oven. It’s a very small video pcb, about half the size of a PC AGP card.

What does wrapping it in tin foil do? I assume spread the heat and maybe protect the plastic components.

I’ve seen actual real reballing in a purpose built facility, it was very time consuming but extremely effective with a high success rate

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal