New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Another "barn Find"  (Read 4012 times)

Offline polishdan

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • polishdan New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Another "barn Find"
« on: April 07, 2022, 02:08:04 PM »
Picked up a new (to me) PE+ Double Double Bonus and after installing a new battery (old one was corroded, but didn't damage the board, I am getting a myriad of error messages - Cprom, Eprom, Hopper Malfunction - one extra coin paid out.  I did not use a set(038) chip YET after installing the new battery - "low battery" error has gone away.    To get this machine settled down, should I run the set chip next, and then see what happens?  It appears that a previous owner put in a multi set in, but I can't get the reset button working yet to see what is installed.  The chips are not marked well.  I can install a known good of single game chips, but I really would like to see what is in it.   THX.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Another "barn Find"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 02:42:29 PM »
Opening and closing the main door should clear the hopper error.

Offline Slots4me

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Slots4me New User barely matters.Slots4me New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 03:23:13 PM »
For my PE plus DoubleDown bonus I did not have to use a clear chip for batt replacement
Hold reset button 3 secs or tell it beeps
Shut door turn  reset/jackpot key.

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 03:42:09 PM »
These barn finds can be challenginng.  I found the hopper coin sensor disconnected.  Ran hopper test and only a buzz.  I am going to throw in a different hopper.  Before I do that, how do you inspect the hopper for functionality (jam, obstruction, motor) - I think this has been sitting for a while and may be stuck.

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 04:52:56 PM »
It is the hopper.  Swapped out a 50 cent hopper from another PE+ and it worked.  I have an inoperative 25cent hopper that generates a "empty hopper" message, and upon self test it buzzes for a bit and then tilts.  Any recommendations?  Do I try and dissemble the hopper, or is it not worth it?

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
Check the brake on the back of the motor.  It may be stuck and/or seized.

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 06:36:04 PM »
I am assuming the brake is on the bottom of the motor assembly with a tiny spring and plastic detent piece that runs over the lowest shaft, that is now rotating freel.  How do I rotate the motor to try and get it unstuck?  There isn't a good place to get leverage.  Disassemble? (I hate that).

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 06:44:28 PM »
With the brake disengaged you should be able to turn the entire coin wheel inside the hopper.  That in turn should turn the motor armature through the gear box. 

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 07:42:49 PM »
Any guess how many turns on the brake to move the wheel inside the hopper?  10-1, 20-1, etc?  Should this indicate a bad motor.( and how do I test?)  Is there any wiggle in the hopper motor?  It has a little play.  THX  THX  THX

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 08:32:31 PM »
Compared the 50cent (good hopper) to the 25cent (problem hopper):  with the brake disengaged on the good one, the coin wheel turns.  with the brake disengaged on the problem one, the coin wheel does not turn.  Now what, strip it down and look for something binding up?  The motor buzzes during test so I think is may be OK.  THX

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 08:44:00 PM »
Yes, and look for anything that may be jamming the coin wheel.  There may be a screw or some other object jamming it. 

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 08:49:49 PM »
tomorrow when I have decent light

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 08:52:11 AM »
The coin wheel moves freely about 1/4 to 1/8 inch (brake not engaged).  seems like either the motor or gearbox is frozen.  The avilibity of used PE+ hoppers are limited.  If I found an S+ could I swap out motor & gearbox?

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 404
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 09:29:44 AM »
The old Bally hoppers use the same transmissions too.
Why not post a photo of yours?
Maybe someone might have some parts for ya?
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2022, 10:13:10 AM »
The coin wheel moves freely about 1/4 to 1/8 inch (brake not engaged).  seems like either the motor or gearbox is frozen.  The avilibity of used PE+ hoppers are limited.  If I found an S+ could I swap out motor & gearbox?

Other than the hopper bowl size I believe they are identical.

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »
I removed knife and cleared coin chute - no help.  To be continued tomorrow - I have to finish Taxes.  I will take motor and gear box off, bench test, and get part numbers.  I doubt I can find a complete slant top 25c hopper in working order at a reasonable price - shipping will kill me.  Sounds like there are good replacement parts options.  THX

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 10:15:56 PM »
Other than the hopper bowl size I believe they are identical.

Agreed.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2022, 06:47:49 PM »
I got with B52-BadByron today and he helped me with identification.  According to him, the PE+ motor & gearbox are the same as an S2000.  It is a larger motor than the S+, but the gearbox looks the same.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a part number that makes any sense.  When I removed the motor, there seemed like excessive play in the armature coming from the gearbox.  With the motor removed, the hopper spun freely.  With the motor reinstalled, it would hardly budge.  I am going to try and source a new gearbox/motor combination.  The S2000 is a 24vdc, isn't it?  Is the PE+ 24vdc?  THX

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 07:19:15 PM »
S2000 hopper motor is 24VDC, PE+ motor is 120VAC. 

Offline polishdan

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2022, 08:06:49 PM »
I am really perplexed.  The S+ motor is 120v, but smaller than the PE+ motor.  So are we talking 3 separate motors using the same gearbox?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal