New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 1008-3 payout board switch question  (Read 900 times)

Offline kjnuke

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • kjnuke New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 1008-3 payout board switch question
« on: December 19, 2022, 11:11:41 AM »
I acquired my next project, a Bally 1008-3 Deluxe Multiplier a few weeks back. Going through the hopper mech maintenance, I noticed a switch on the payout board that I'm not familiar with.
Looking at the schematic, I'm thinking it's the "count unit open at 41st step" switch. It's in the same string as the jackpot lockup, so I'm assuming it has something to do with that. I've set it up to open at around 41 steps, but I just wanted to make sure that's the switch and I'm setting it up correctly. Wiring color on the switch doesn't match the schematic, so maybe that's not even it.
I have 8 other Bally EM slots, but I'm pretty sure none of them have this switch. Looking for some guidance. Thanks.

Offline Pinballwizard55

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Pinballwizard55 New User has no influence.
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Bally 1008-3 payout board switch question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
That definately looks like an open after 20 switch, but might be for after 40.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 07:32:19 PM »
the problem is 3 bells pays 18 and 4 bells pays 100.

if you have 4 bells, the payout unit will step 100 times, which is 360 degrees of main wiper arm rotation so they are sitting back where they are at reset. 

without that switch, the 18 pay trace would be energized and you'd get paid 118 instead of 100.

the 1008-3 schem says the switch is open after 50, but it looks like anything well over 18 would be good enough.  The outboard carriage movement is not precise, so you'd want the switch to open at step 30+ to make sure the 18 pay is reliable.

Offline kjnuke

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 07:26:36 PM »
OK, great, 18 and 100 payouts are correct as are all of the others.
Another interesting thing on this machine is a mod with mercury switches that was installed. One on the left side of the case, one on the right side and one mounted behind the light shield on the door. Each ran to a copper plate mounted to each side of the case and one behind the reel mech chrome on the door. Other end of wiring ran to the terminal strip behind the hopper.
Maybe on a cruise ship to tilt if the machine went beyond a certain level?
Pictures attached of one of the copper plates and mercury switch.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 09:33:54 PM »
I'd guess the mercury switches and copper plate were connected to a security system of some kind.

if the plates are insulated from the metal case, then it's probably to detect drilling.  The drill bit makes a path from the grounded chassis to the plate.

some games were hooked up to ring the bell or light tower lights if tampering was detected, but there's no reason you couldn't connect anything you wanted.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
Had a machine with a security plate on the left side connected to a cut off switch.
As Wolftalk mentioned, soon as a drill bit or metal rod made contact with the reels mechanism.
It would complete the circuit thus disabling the machine.
Mercury switches acting as tilt switches, main purpose detect movement.

Offline kjnuke

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 12:32:56 PM »
OK, thanks for the insight Wolftalk and David Lee.
Plate is definitely isolated from the case, so makes sense it was to detect drilling.
I've converted it back to a nickel machine to match the reel glass attendant graphic payout also. Machine had a 25 cent coin disk and a 5 cent coin knife in the hopper when I got it, so it obviously didn't work very well dispensing quarters. Also replaced all of the bulbs with LEDs except the florescents.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 05:46:08 PM »
if you can email highest possible resolution pictures to slotpics@cdyn.com, I'll add them to the site with the paperwork for the game.

most interesting is the top compartment insert from various angles, including the front showing the lamp arrangement.   The usual problem is people having trouble identifying the components, so hi-res pictures can be zoomed in and labels read.  Pics from far away to see multiple things in the image are better than close-ups.

Offline kjnuke

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 09:40:42 AM »
Sure. I'll take a bunch of pictures and get them uploaded.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal