New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: New Boards S+ but no Coin Display  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Dtabes

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Dtabes New User has no influence.
  • Bubbles
New Boards S+ but no Coin Display
« on: February 12, 2023, 06:33:17 AM »
Hi there I installed 2 new boards that were corroded really bad because of a battery and have installed the new boards but there is no coin display at all and even the "$25" in the middle does not light up. All fuses appear to be working correctly

Just looking for my next troubleshooting tip in this wonderful forum

I should also note that the reels can be turned freely

Doug

SEE PIC
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 05:02:25 AM by Dtabes »
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: New Boards S+ but no Coin Display
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 07:13:54 AM »
check the connector from the power supply to the motherboard, they sometimes get correded or burnt.  Try sliding the connector up and down a few times to clean it.
Bob

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 08:03:01 AM »
Tried that but still no luck.. The only thing I noticed is the plug is a little loose. There is no clip to lock it in place? I did place a pic though of the plug

Doug
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 08:35:16 AM »
try moving it around and keep an eye on the reels, if you see them jerk/lock up then that's the problem.  this is a very common problem with the s+

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 09:05:32 AM »
Thank you.... When moving around I do not see the reels move at all but I do hear almost like a sound coming out of a speaker but no lights. There is also no lights at all flashing on the candle. Everything else is lit up fine except the candle and coin display. The reels don't even nudge at all when turning power on

Are we thinking display board? Harness?

Doug
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 09:23:54 AM »
try running a jumper from the 2 green (ground) wires on the plug to the metal base of cabinet.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 405
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 01:05:11 PM »
It looks like the only power voltage you have is the 120vac on the red/white harnesses from the top of the power supply box.
Those are for the cabinet's fluorescent lighting.
The top 3-pin Molex is for the coin hopper's 120vac.
You might not have anything coming out of the bottom 6-pin Molex that's for the MPU and the rest of the cabinet.

I'd be taking that 6-pin Molex housing off of the motherboard/backplane, and sticking my multimeter probe in there, to see what's coming out of the pins.
Can you show me a good photo of all the connections you have on the floor motherboard?
I want to see if you have things plugged in correctly.

I've attached a drawing of the PS pinouts to this post.
Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 07:50:14 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 02:05:32 PM »
Hi there thanks again for all your patience and help here. I have put a picture here for you to see the connections. The only other thing that was not replaced with a new board is that coroded piece that sits on the mother board and is attached to the meta enclsure.

I did try to jump the 2 green wires and nothing happened there

It also appears that nothing is coming out of that 6 pin connector so I am assuming power is not coming out of that bottom board?

Doug
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 02:14:17 PM »
Please keep in mind that I have replaced the motherboard and that bottom board which just came in.

It appears there is no power coming out of that 6 pin unless I am doing something wrong. Can you please verify how and where I should be checking power...

When putting a coin as well it just falls through
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 02:39:21 PM »
okay...the MPU is NOT going to work without the corroded transformer.
Is just the outside metal of the transformer that surrounds the coil corroded?
If so, it may still work as long as the coil wires are intact, and none of the wires that connect from the coil to the MPU are broken off.
Clean it up and put it back on the MPU tray and plug it back onto the MPU pins.
You need to get rid of all that corrosion man.
You can throw some vinegar on it, watch it bubble like nuts then rinse it and let it all drip dry overnight.

The 6-pin Molex that is connected to the floor motherboard or the backplane board...it is located right of the long black plastic connector.
The first two wires that you physically see are the two orange wires, a brown then blue wire and then the two green wires....those are coming from the big power supply box on the right hand side of the cabinet that has the power cord going out the hole.
If you look at the drawing I attached, it's exactly backwards from the way you see it physically on the machine.

Flip on the machine's power switch.
Your multimeter dial should be set for 200 volts AC.
Place a red multimeter probe into the back of the white Molex pin that has the orange wire,
and the black multimeter probe onto any metal of the cabinet or in the back of that white Molex housing hole of any one of the green wires.
Tell us what you get.
Check what vac voltage you get out of the brown/blue wire and the solid blue wire.
They should be somewhat close to the measurements on the attached sheet above.

Also, with your multimeter set to "continuity", pull out the lamp from the denom light and see if it's any good.
When you have power running thru the mpu, that denom lamp SHOULD light up on the reel glass.

I made a small drawing for you.
Click on the photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 07:51:03 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 06:41:51 AM »
Hi there I tested those plugs as noted in the pics but nothing coming out of them with the power on to the machine. I guess the good news is we are starting to trace things down? I really really appreciate your help in this and for being so patient... LOL

Doug
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 06:55:40 AM »
There are three fuses on the front of the power supply box, which is on the right-hand side of the cabinet floor under the cashbox.
Check each one for continuity with a multimeter.

From top to bottom:
6 amp
8 amp
6 amp

One of them is burned out.
They should be "quick blow" fuses only.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 07:31:52 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 350
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 07:38:45 AM »
Hi there I tested those plugs as noted in the pics but nothing coming out of them with the power on to the machine. I guess the good news is we are starting to trace things down? I really really appreciate your help in this and for being so patient... LOL

Doug

The 3 pin connector you are pointing out (reply #11) has nothing to do with power to the mother board. It is 120VAC for the hopper. You need to check the 6 pin below that one as well as the fuses again. Have you looked inside the power supply for loose coins or other metal objects that could be casing a short?
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 08:49:12 AM »
Thank you I will def check the fuses. Can they be bought locally at like a NAPA if burnt out? Is there anything out there for how to open and inspect the power supply?

Cheers

Doug
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 09:48:58 AM »
Pull the power cord out of the power supply box on the floor.
On the left side wall of the power supply box, there's a Philips screw, that is for the top cover.
Take the cover off and look inside carefully to see if there's any loose coins or objects in there that could short out anything.
Look for anything that could be charred or burnt. Use your senses...smell it.
You could remove the entire power supply box but that's a little more involved.
If you don't see anything in there shorting out anything, put the cover back on and re-install the holding screw.

You can buy the 3 glass fuses maybe from Napa auto parts or some other automotive store but make sure that you ask that they are "fast" or "quick blow" fuses.
It's highly unlikely that all 3 are burned out....check and determine which one is bad with a multimeter or take them to the store with you.

Let me ask....why is there so much corrosion on your MPU board?
Was the machine stored outside in the snow?
Did an onboard battery bust and leak all over the MPU board?
Can you give us a photo of the MPU board?

Don't remove or install anything with the power switch ON.
ALWAYS turn the power switch OFF before working on your machine.
You don't know enough about it to avoid getting shocked and we don't know why the fuse burned out.
Something fatally shorted out the machine.

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2023, 10:00:16 AM »
Ok great I will get right on top of checking that supply. This machine was given to us by my father-in-law who had it stored. When I first opened it the battery was on the lower part of the machine. It was toast and looked like it blew up which is maybe why there was so much corrosion? The CPU board and the lower board were replaced and tested. Something has def happened in there which is why I am just trying to narrow down why there is no power coming out of the side of the power supply. The harnesses and all the pins appear to be in good shape

I am going to try and get a couple fuses now just to have as a backup anyway

The only other thing that has corrosion on it is the transformer which I have since cleaned up. The pins and everything look ok with no signs of damage. It was just the outer part of the transformer that had a lot of corrosion on it. Is there a way to test the transformer?

I def always turn the power off before doing anything in that machine just to be 100% safe
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 10:19:11 AM »
While you're at the store getting fuses, pick up a digital multimeter.  :arrowthruhead:
Then maybe we can show you how to test the MPU tray transformer.

Chances are, when the battery blew up, it caused a short on the MPU and when someone unknowingly turned on the power switch, the fuse on the power supply box burned out - to protect the machine and person...that's is why there's no power coming out of the 6-pin Molex on the side of the power supply box.
That 6-pin Molex has AC voltages that run to the transformer coil on the MPU tray as well as the MPU itself.
Basically there's two 12VAC lines, an 8VAC line , a 7VAC line, and two green ground wires.
It's all in the drawing I attached above.

Earlier, RB mentioned that you pointed to the 3-pin connector coming out of the power supply box.
If you look closely, that particular harness also has a red/white pair of wires, the same as the wires coming off of the top back rear of your power supply.
Those red/white wires have the same 120 volts AC as a wall socket in your house.
Be VERY careful when messing with anything using those ones.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:38:08 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Dtabes

• Bubbles
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 01:12:44 PM »
Ok just got myself a multimeter (see pic) and also took a couple pics of inside the power supply. I did not see or smell anything with the cover open and really got to put my nose in there for anything out of the norm lol. I did not see any cut wires or any sort of corrosion

That is the latest update

Doug
Doug,

Homeowner
Moosup, CT

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
I think it looks okay in there....I'm just not sure about the bus bar....there should be 3 black wires plugged in close together, and one separated from the 3 plugged straight down.
The separation makes it 115Vac....if you move it next to the 3rd wire, it becomes 240vac....don't do that and I want to check if that's wherer the problem is or not besides a possible fuse burned out.
That bus bar determines whether your machine's power supply should output north american 120VAC or european 240VAC volts.
I can almost see it but it's not too clear.
It's right in the middle on the floor of the power box.
I attached your photo with a green circle around the bus bar.
I'll look for some documentation on the bus bar...I don't remember offhand, if there's 3 or 4 black wires plugged into that.
I'm not near an S+ at the moment.

To check a fuse...>>>
Turn and set your multimeter dial on to diode. ( I've always mistakenly called it "continuity"...The arrow pointing to the right plus sign. )
Put the black probe on one end of a fuse, and the red probe on the other end of the fuse.
If it beeps, then the fuse is good.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:17:40 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2023, 10:21:46 PM »
To check a fuse...>>>
Turn and set your multimeter dial on to diode. ( I've always mistakenly called it "continuity"...The arrow pointing to the right plus sign. )
Put the black probe on one end of a fuse, and the red probe on the other end of the fuse.
If it beeps, then the fuse is good.

There is a real good chance that your Harbor Freight MM won't beep but the display should go from 1 to almost 000 if the fuse is good.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal