New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1980's lottery ticket barcode  (Read 1798 times)

Offline acura123

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • acura123 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
1980's lottery ticket barcode
« on: February 15, 2023, 02:42:04 PM »
So I was a lottery agent back in the 1980's and we used to sell lottery tickets with this very unusual barcode with a 4 by 12 set of blocks (representing the binary). The thing I was never able to figure out was the serial number of the ticket was 17 digits long ( 028-23199489-167004) and the barcode could only fit 48 characters of blocks. If the each numeric number has to have 4 blocks to represent each number then the barcode would not be long enough. I also found a similar barcode on a racing ticket that had the block style barcode along with a modern barcode but on that ticket they used hexadecimal and the barcode Field was 6 X 12. I would think this technology for encoding the barcode would come from the horse racing industry that used amtote tickets at the time but I had never seen or understood how this barcode was encoded? Does anyone have any idea how this was encoded? Much appreciated.

Offline BigWick

• Reputation Power: 3
  • BigWick New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: 1980's lottery ticket barcode
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 03:56:15 PM »
A 900 number hotline to hear the lottery numbers? oof.

I recognize that from tickets in the 90's, but it would of been from the Ontario Lottery. My guess is the encoding is documented by the terminal manufacturer both regions used and that would of probably been something from GTECH.

Offline acura123

• Reputation Power: 5
  • acura123 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 04:32:12 PM »
It was from the 90's from gtech. Any idea how they coded it?

Offline BigWick

• Reputation Power: 3
  • BigWick New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 10:23:07 AM »
Can't even begin to think. I don't think Gtech even distributed intelligent terminals until the late 90's so whatever kind of barcode that is would probably also worked on their older machines, which gave you something like 15 years worth of documentation that probably exists.
Thing is Gtech/IGT seems to keep all of their technical documentation extremely close. I've never seen anything beyond state-specific retailer manuals in the wild. I'd bet it's also something they don't want people finding decades later either.

Edited: here's some PA tickets form 1990/1991 that use a compressed version of the same barcode.

Offline playklax01

• Reputation Power: 6
  • playklax01 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 06:18:51 AM »
My guess would be that the barcode would translate to another set of digits or characters (that is unknown to you and not visible anywhere) to be used against a lookup table to find which ticket it belonged to.  It obviously can't be encoding the whole serial number.  Something like: <scans ticket>, barcode reads as A1C6G370, server says that combo is pointing to 028-23199489-167004. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal