General NLG Chat > Show off your Home Game Room
About to build a new game room
(1/3) > >>
ramegoom:
Looking for some suggestions. I just bought a house with an unfinished basement, 2800 sq. ft. It has 9 ft. ceilings, but ductwork and beams, so I can easily make it 8 ft clear.

So I'm thinking on spraying the ceiling flat black throughout rather than finish it. I want to put up walls throughout so I can install too many outlets, basically one big room. Except, I do want to build a "media" section with a flat screen and sound system, maybe 200 sq. ft. of it.

Also, the room has a concrete vault, about 40 sq. ft. with a steel door, so I am thinking on putting a hidden wall in front of it with a bookcase or something that slides out to access the room. There's a bathroom stubbed in already so I'll put one in, and a separate room that I will build into a bedroom with a closet. Beyond that, it's all open space.

I would like some advice on what to do with the floor. I first thought carpet, but thinking outside the box, maybe polished concrete? Carpet makes it difficult to move machines around, but it does keep it quiet, where concrete is more rugged. I have an antique Gandy pool table that I want to put in the middle of the room and plan around that.

Looking for some ideas and a bit of motivation here....
CVslots:
Stained and polished concrete, exposed ductwork, and black ceiling =  :cool_thumb_up: :cool_thumb_up: :cool_thumb_up:  If you want to get a feel for it, some of our local chain restaurants (I believe WingStop, and possibly Cool Hand Luke's?) are doing something similar, so I'm sure there are similar places in your area. It has a somewhat masculine, rustic feel, but works nicely with dark woods, area rugs (like under pool table?), track or recessed lighting, and leather furniture. The exposed ductwork can be left unpainted (if shiny aluminum), or painted black along with ceiling. To cozy it up a bit and tone down the testosterone vibe, I would choose some "foo-foo" throw pillows and textured rugs in the media area. Bedroom area should have an upscale hotel feel (think plush, rich fabrics and colors, high end carpeting and pad, clean lines, etc.).

Aww man, that sounds awesome. What an awesome project!
cowboygames:
All sounds good except it might be a good idea to spray some type of paintable insulation on the ceiling before you paint it black to dampen the sound. Ever been in a P F Changs? Nice restaurant but noisy as hell. You can't hear yourself think in there. Just a thought...
Maybe consult with a company that does those kind of things for ideas
CVslots:
Good point cowboy...the restaurants that do this are all very loud. I always thought the bare floors contributed to it (no carpet to "absorb" sounds? Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but carpeted rooms always seem quieter than hardwood or tiled rooms).

We stained the concrete around our pool and it was awesome! Easy DIY project too!
cowboygames:
You're right Roz, cement floors will make it louder and combined with a unfinished ceiling it can get really bad. Acoustic dampener will help on the ceiling and/or carpet, but maybe a carpet with a very short nap. It would dampen sound but still allow for moving heavy things around easily plus be easier to maintain than standard berber type carpets or whatever
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442

Go to full version