New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: E-2000 MPU board Li Ion battery mod  (Read 10060 times)

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
E-2000 MPU board Li Ion battery mod
« on: December 30, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »
Here is a picture of how to remove R62 and solder in a 1N5817 diode so a Li Ion battery can be used instead of a Ni Cad (leaking) battery.
The diode is special and has a lower forward voltage drop allowing more battery voltage to reach the RAM chips.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:15:43 AM by shortrackskater »
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Newb

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Newb New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: E-2000 MPU board Li Ion battery mod
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:44:56 PM »
Hello, once I solder the battery and the 1N5817 diode, do I have to re-program the machine? And what's the best way to do that? I apologize for the questions, but I'm really new to this :) Thank you for the assistance. Jerry A. 

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »
No, the E2000 did not require programming unless you need to set up a progressive display with options.

Offline Newb

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
I'm waiting on the battery and the diode.  the diodes come in bunches so my plan is to snip the ends off one of the diodes and solder to each end of the battery, then solder each end to the board.  Unless you recommend de-soldering the tabs from the existing battery and using those.   

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »
Bad idea.

Unless the battery has wire leads you cannot solder to the body of the battery, the the battery's metal is a form of stainless steel and you would have to arc weld any metal to it.

Offline Newb

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »
Got it. So right now the flat top battery that is on the board is connected with tabs on each end to make the contact with the battery, it appears to be soldered, however, since I cannot just pull it out. Any idea how do get it out, and would I be able to use those same tabs that are already soldered to the board? The new battery is also a flat top (same size) and rechargeable. 

Offline MartynH

• Reputation Power: 0
  • MartynH New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:51:56 PM »
Badbaud, I have a question.  I recently replaced the original battery on an E2278 MPU with a Li-Ion one.  Seems to be fine but I did not replace the resistor with the low voltage drop diode that you mentioned.  What is the purpose of adding this diode?

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
5 Volts is trying to charge the 3.6V LiIon battery through the resistor.

I have encountered 2 boards where the LiIon battery blew up due to excessive voltage.
The diode is used to prevent the 5V from reaching the battery but allow the 3.6V to power the RAM chips.
The diode specified has a .3V forward voltage drop and allows the battery to provide 3.3V to the RAM chips.
If you use a standard silicon diode like a 1N4001 it's forward voltage drop is around .7V so the RAM only gets 2.9V from the battery.

Offline MartynH

• MartynH New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 08:05:04 AM »
Thanks for the detailed answer.  Okay its a 20V 1A Schottky diode.  I'll get one installed before anything blows up!

Offline Chaos

• Chaos New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 05:29:05 AM »
Reply moved to its own thread
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:03:15 AM by Chaos »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal