New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: How to use credit mode on 891-1  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Phan000

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
Re: How to use credit mode on 891-1
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 03:27:45 PM »
[]

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 07:37:44 PM »
any quick disconnect kind of connector will work, so what you can get easily is the biggest factor.  I'd make sure it could handle at least 5 amps per pin.  Higher doesn't hurt.

the game originally had eight NO switches on each side of the bracket, so you'd want two 16 pin female housings and one 16 pin male housing (or vice-versa), a crimping tool, and some extra pins for the oopses when crimping.  Maybe easiest to just get two 16 pin kits and you'll have lots of extra pins. 

something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Connector-Waterproof-Position-Assurance/dp/B07HHW1D98
https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Circuit-Receptacle-Terminals-Mini-Fit/dp/B079CVL5H5

oops ... looks like the payout side has 9 switches .... so multiple standard molex plugs is probably easier. 

if you put the game wires into female housings, the idea is you take a pair of wires that would normally go on a switch and put them into two positions in the housing.  The male plug you'd just have a wire loop connecting those two pins together.

when you wanted to switch game modes, you move the male plug from one female socket to the other one.

you could use a pair of pin connectors that just tied the correct wires together (i.e. the connectors take the place of switch contacts) ... however, if someone connected both sets at the same time, you'd probably blow fuses.  By using a 16 pin connector, you can't screw up ... you have to transfer the plug from one socket to the other to switch modes.

make sure whatever connector you pick you can get a crimper that works for it ... but not the molex one unless you have a bucket of cash you don't want :-)  I like the ratcheting style that crimps both tab sets at the same time because I'm lazy.  The generic crimpers are usually around $22.

the typical molex connectors used in the bally slots use the 0.093  series 1189 or 1380 pins.  Unfortunately, the largest housing is 15 pins.   Again you could use sets of 8 pin ones, but you'd probably want different color housings so the jumper plug was inserted into two sockets of the same color.

might be worth contacting essmeier from the other topic and see what it cost him to make his setup.  He might have an idea for the bracket also.

also keep in mind if you make the game work like a 891-1, there's no cash out when in credit mode.  The way it was cashed out was hand pay and the attendant reset the credits using a key.

having said all that, I'd probably either convert it to the 891-2/8 style of play or just hardwire the game to credit play and make it free play.  Dropping in six coins before each spin gets old.   You have other machines so you can get your hands dirty and make coin payout noise when you want, right?

how much of that made no sense? :-)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:55:43 AM by wolftalk »

Offline Phan000

• Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 09:08:37 PM »
That makes it very clear and seems pretty doable.

So it is just a matter of separating the matching colors from each of the bundles in that photo, and building the connections.

I really appreciate your in depth responses.   Yes putting 6 quarters in gets a bit old. I played it way more just with the temporary addition of the free play credit button

Thanks again. 

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 09:25:17 PM »
So it is just a matter of separating the matching colors from each of the bundles in that photo, and building the connections.

hmmm ... matching as in "the same color" ... or matching as in "matching what the schematic says"?

I assume one bundle went to the left set of switches, the other bundle went to the right.   They need to stay separated, tho in some cases the same wire goes to both sets of switches.   If you do one bundle at a time, it should be pretty quick.   

if you do go with a connector, putting two wires on one pin is not ideal unless the pin is made for it (the tabs are tall enough to wrap around two wires correctly).   If the pins were designed for one wire ... at least at the lowest gauge the pin supports ... it's better to connect two wire segments together in a way that leaves a single wire tail that goes to the pin.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 06:20:29 AM »
Ok,  definitely will use schematic.

I looked at the one for the 891-1  molex on bingo and

Dont see the label for the bank of switches
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 07:27:43 AM by Phan000 »

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »
the molex schematic is harder to read ... I'd use the other one.

the switches are in the hexagon symbols.  There's "payout key sw" and "replay key sw".

one wire bundle should be the payout ones, the other bundle the replay ones.

I got curious to see if there's a wire color issue, so these are the switches:

payout (9 switches)
----------------------
40-5  23-3
52-2  31-2 (updated)
30  57
21-3  91-3
63-1  43-4
65-1  74-5
53  56-8
93-2  80-3
30  27-3 (update #2)

replay (8 switches)
---------------------
30  71
91-2  38
10-3  85-3
83-5  58-3
43-4  25
93-2  54
53  75
65-1  81

same wire in both switch sets for a few wires.  The only different-but-same-color wire that I see is 91-2 and 91-3.  One is in the 6V circuit, the other in the 50V circuit.  If you somehow had all the wires loose, you'd want to make sure which is which.

91-3 should be a single wire.  91-2 MAY be a double wire (3+ points connected by the wire).  There's no way to know from the schem, but it seems unlikely the key switch would be the place the wire daisy chains elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:57:29 AM by wolftalk »

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 04:24:06 PM »
That helps a bunch. Thanks wolf.

I unwrapped both bundles.

One bundle has 16 wires and all are not connected.  Assuming this is the replay bundle.

There is also a loop of 70 and 60 wires  that come from the main bundle.

The other bundle appears to be the working coin wires.   They have paired multiple wires with different colored ones.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2022, 04:27:05 PM »

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2022, 06:04:59 AM »

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2022, 10:22:43 AM »
the bundle closest to the door is the replay bundle ... it's got the 54 wire in it.

looks like my 891-1 schem has an issue.

in the payout bundle, you have a 52 connecting to a 31 wire.  The molex version of the schem says that is 52-2 to 31-2.

the non-molex version says 52-2 to 61-2, tho the 6 is hand-written.  I think someone tried to fix a faded number and goofed ... especially since there's no 61 wire in the bundle that I can see.   I'll fix the non-molex version of the schem and have updated the previous post.

btw, the molex plugs going to the key switches let the factory make the switch assembly elsewhere and plug it into the machine.   You could use 12 pin molex plugs and wire them like the molex schematic shows, but you'd have to make two different jumper harnesses to connect the wires together for the replay vs payout modes since the wires that need to be connected aren't in the same plug positions. The only benefit of doing this is if you ever found the switch assembly with molex plugs on it, you could plug it in.  Not likely.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 12:05:39 PM »
I connected the replay wires with wire nuts according to the numbers above.

Now it adds credit, and does not pay coins.  Very cool!

Top key erases the credits probably.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 02:58:20 PM by Phan000 »

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2022, 10:55:44 AM »
Also, with the bigger gauge wire sets,  what would be the best way to get them into the pins?  Can they be tied, then a single wire feeding the molex pin?

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 06:47:43 PM »
Also, with the bigger gauge wire sets,  what would be the best way to get them into the pins?  Can they be tied, then a single wire feeding the molex pin?

that's what I usually do.   The cleanest thing is attach a pin to the end of wire segment #1, then cut out a ring of insulation a couple cm back from the pin. Wrap and solder the wire end #2 there and heat shrink tube over the splice.

make sense?

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2022, 05:47:26 PM »
Finished up the molex conversion.  Ended up having to use a few 6pin connections that I had already.   The newer ones that I bought on Amazon had tiny, cheap, unusable pins.

I will paint and label the connectors so as to avoid confusion.

Only outstanding issue is that the hopper spins the whole time while the reels spin in coin mode.  Not really sure if this is an issue, pays out correctly.  I don

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2022, 06:16:00 PM »
Only outstanding issue is that the hopper spins the whole time while the reels spin in coin mode. 

schematic says that's right.   When reel mech B-1 switch is closed, the hopper mixer relay powers and churns the coins in the hopper to keep them leveled. 

the hopper mixer relay also powers when an odds motor switch and odds follower relay switch are closed at the same time.

running the hopper on every spin seems a bit excessive.  Usually they ran it when the reels stopped on certain non-paying combinations, and typically even that was only on lightning games that paid less often.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2022, 01:11:32 PM »
Suddenly this machine is not multiplying wins.

It steps up correctly, but odds follower does not move.

When I push the odds follower relay, it pumps out coins.

How do I address this issue?

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2022, 03:15:34 PM »
a good first test is to manually step up the payout counter when you don't have a win and see if the safety relay powers and the odds follower relay powers.  Depending on which/neither, that'll narrow down the issue.

tmi
----
there's a payout counter reset arm switch that sits above the pawls on the payout counter.  Should have orange/red and brown/red wires on it.

when the payout counter is reset, the pawls are locked above the ratchet teeth and the switch should be open.

as soon as the payout counter steps once, the pawls flop down on the ratchet teeth and the switch should be closed.  Nothing else happens immediately since the payout relay (hopper) is powered.

when the first round of payout completes, the payout relay unpowers and the safety relay should power.  That in turn should power the odds follower relay which steps up the odds follower unit.

other stuff happens after that, but sounds like that works.

schem is below, and you can see other switches in the circuit that if not working will cause a problem.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2022, 07:08:41 PM »
Manual step up of payout counter did not power the safety or odds follower.

It was working perfectly, then I switched jumpers back to coin, instead of credit. 

Kind of freaked when it stopped working correctly and cut out all the molex  and hard wired it again.

This did not help.

There was a bit of oil on the switches that you mentioned so I cleaned them, and may have missed adjusted. Photos attached.

I noticed that a coil on the back left of the hopper as a very nasty looking Solder/melty issue.

Photo attached as well. Would this be the culprit ? Right now the machine only pays if I manually reset the payoff counter.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2022, 02:37:59 AM »
when you did the test, the odds were at least 2x, right (odds unit stepped up at least once)?

the test of manually stepping the payout counter once not powering the safety relay tells you the problem is getting the safety relay to power.

I'd just use a voltmeter.  Stick one probe on orange wire 70 on any handy 50V coil and probe along the yellow highlight path to the safety relay coil looking for where the 50V drops when the game is doing nothing and the payout counter is stepped up once. 

there's plug connections in places also, but I'd start by verifying 50V at the places easy to get to ... wire 18 on the odds follower unit and 61-2 on the odds reset relay switches.

if the payout counter isn't resetting, check the zero switch in front of the spiral cam on the wiper side of the unit.  It needs to be closed ... ideally on the first step of the unit and open at reset.  It's a little finicky to get right since the long blade doesn't move a large distance.

tmi
----

the coil in your pic is payout relay #1 (hopper).

the messy lug is a coil wire repair. The coil wire burnt or broke, so someone unwrapped a turn of wire from the coil (note the horizontal cut through the coil wrapper caused by unlooping the wire once).

repairing a coil like that is fine, but the trick is removing the insulating varnish so you can reattach the wire to the lug.  The easiest way is to use a knife/razor edge to scrape off the varnish.  Put the wire end on a flat surface, scrape gently and you'll see shiny copper, roll the wire over a little and repeat until you have most of the varnish off all the way around, then solder will adhere and you can reattach.

someone didn't do a great job removing the varnish so they heated the coil lug a lot, melting the plastic and globbing on solder.  It must work tho or the hopper wouldn't turn on.

note also you have a 50-50 chance of being able to repair a coil this way.  You can repair the wire on the outside of the coil, but the wire end on the other lug dives into the inside of the coil and you can't unwrap a turn ... you'd have to unwind the entire wire and rewind it.  Possible, but it you want to attempt it it's best to unwind the wire onto another spool of some kind then rewind it back on. 

removing the molex plugs shouldn't do anything, and kinda made things worse since you've changed more stuff :-)  Assuming you did it right and the solder connections are all good tho,  you're back to finding the poor connection in the circuit to the safety relay coil.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:09:07 AM by wolftalk »

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2022, 03:57:09 PM »
I’ve not found any bad connections yet.  Not great with schematics.

So I am supposed to connect one end to any orange wire on a coil, to a multi tester, then step up with coins and manually push payout counter?

Is it possible to experiment with a jumper?

None of the wires in that yellow path seem powered.

I also noticed that when step up offs and manually step
Up odds follower, it does not change payoffs.

I did double check all of the wires on the coin harness.

This all started when I switched from credit to coin.

After moving the jumpers I noticed the coin lockout was engaged.

That is when I got a little overboard with stripping back the molex.  It just seemed too coincidental to occur right when I switched the jumper.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:48:37 PM by Phan000 »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal