New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: DotMation DMD replacement - anybody here who can make a LogicAnalyzer recording  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Lucky1

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Lucky1 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • PIN2DMD
Hello !

I´m lucky1 and I developed a DotMatrix replacement hard- and software using cheap chinese advertising panels.
My project is called pin2dmd and it is a DIY hobby project from my side, although in the meantime ready to use compatible hardware is available in many shops around the world based on the schematics I published. It currently supports almost all available pinball machine displays but I would like to add DotMation support.

To do that I would need a logic analyzer recording of the signals going to the DMD. In the past I used this cheap device
form ebay to do this https://www.ebay.com/itm/133471685789 It is also available on amazon.
You just need to connect the input channels 1 to 6 to pin 1,3,5,7,9,11 of the dmd connector, install a software on a laptop and record the signals. The software I use with my logic analyzer is available for download here https://support.saleae.com/logic-software/legacy-software/older-software-releases#1-2-26-download

Would someone be so kind and get the needed data for me ?

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
I cant help with Dotmation Data. but I am so glad you are here to help with Slots DMD !!!!   It's been a long awaited desirable parts and repair option for the Williams Dotmation slots! There has not been any support for replacements for the DMD other than a few great people with some good working  original DMD  .  There is some great people here that I think have or can help get this working with all what you have done already!!  Thank You!! I will try to keep this active as I have a few Dotmations and I would willing to try a replacement in on of my machines for sure. Thanks Again!!  Please to my fellow NLG members,  Please chime in.

Offline Lucky1

• NLG
    • PIN2DMD
I cant help with Dotmation Data. but I am so glad you are here to help with Slots DMD !!!!   It's been a long awaited desirable parts and repair option for the Williams Dotmation slots! There has not been any support for replacements for the DMD other than a few great people with some good working  original DMD  .  There is some great people here that I think have or can help get this working with all what you have done already!!  Thank You!! I will try to keep this active as I have a few Dotmations and I would willing to try a replacement in on of my machines for sure. Thanks Again!!  Please to my fellow NLG members,  Please chime in.

If you have some Dotmation machines it would be great if you would invest 10 or 15 $ and buy such a logic recorder device and do the recordings on your machines. The data is not so hard to get and I can walk you through the process. The only thing you need is a windows or OSX laptop and the device . This one is shipped from within the US https://www.ebay.com/itm/124238666414

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
OK Great! I want to help. I ordered it. I have laptops. I will need your help to get what we need to make this happen. Please stay in touch! Thank You!! Tim

Offline Lucky1

• NLG
    • PIN2DMD
OK Great! I want to help. I ordered it. I have laptops. I will need your help to get what we need to make this happen. Please stay in touch! Thank You!! Tim

Let me know when you have received it.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
I most definitely will!!

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
I have laptops with  either of the following. Which windows version  will work best?  XP, Vista, 7 or 10 ? I will have to load a program onto my laptop correct ?  I will need some hand holding, if you don't mind,  to get this accomplished .   The  analyzer will be here  soon.  Sat - Tues is the estimate for delivery. Comin from West coast has been quite reliable mail service.

Offline Calfdemon

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Calfdemon New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I just saw the post and was going to chime in, but since Sunrise already chimed in and bought what was needed, I will just stand by and offer support.

I know your product from Pinside as I also own pinball machines and am a regular over there.  I do not own your product (yet), but would be very interested in what you develop for the WMS 40x slots.

So I am guessing that you would need readings for every game??   If that is the case, whatever Sunrise may not have (software wise), either myself, Fusco, or one of the others here can probably get to him.

I believe I have most of the DMD software, and whatever I do not have, Fusco has for sure.  The ones that are probably not available are Batters Up and the Monopoly games.  But pretty much no one has those kits anyway.  I believe I have the software for the other 21 DMD games.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:12:15 PM by Calfdemon »

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
And just to put it all in one place, here is a list of the 24 DMD games (that I know of):

First, the 3 that I do not have:

1.  Batters Up
2.  Monopoly: Advance to Boardwalk
3.  Monopoly: Roll and Win

and the rest that I believe I have all the software for:

4.  Piggy Bankin
5.  Big Bang Piggy Bankin
6.  Mermaids Treasure
7.  Mermaids Gold
8.  Jackpot Party
9.  Jackpot Beach Party
10. Jackpot Country Party
11. X-Factor
12. Magic Lamp
13. Winning Streak
14. Pharaoh's Fortune
15. Mega Multiplier
16. Palace of Riches
17. Stroke of Luck
18. Jackpot Stampede Deluxe
19. Riverbelle 21
20. Jackpot Limbo
21. Perfect Match
22. Shopping Spree
23. Money to Burn
24. Safe Cracker

Again... Let me know what you need.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
Calfdemon , please jump in as I have no experience with this data stuff. I will need hand holding to even try to help. I'm not savvy at all with a computer .  I have a few
 slot games . Never had a pinball machine.  SO PLEASE you any anyone else,  jump in !!  Thank You !  Tim

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
Not a problem, I will see what I can do.  My issue right now is spare time.  But I pointed Fusco to this thread and will wait to talk with him and see if he is interested in helping as well.  Reason for that is I have total of 7 machines set up and 5 of those are with DMD games (the other 2 are non-dmd right now).   2 of my DMD machines are at a vacation house and not accessible often.  So I currently am running 3 DMD game kits at home and have 2 off-site. If we need data from every game, that is a lot of game swapping to do each one.  Obviously, for this purpose, we would only have to swap the game software to get the readings and can leave the glass and strips alone so it is not as bad as it sounds.

But Fusco has a lot more of the games set up which would be a lot less swapping of eproms.  So lets see if he wants to help out.  If not, I will buy the stuff and do it (never done the readings before either) but not sure when I will have the time to do it between work obligations and scheduled vacations, etc.. that all seem to be on the horizon.

Since I am not familiar with the data collection, can you confirm that you would need data from each individual game?  Or is this a one time data collection on HOW the machine transmits data and then once you have that, you are able to convert whatever each individual game would send?   Just clarify a bit on how much data is going to be needed so I (we) can see what we are in for.

Thanks!

-Rich

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
OK Great!  I have the time to get this  project started right away. No problem there. 

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
I went ahead and bought one of the logic readers off of eBay for the measly $12 shipped.  So I have one coming.  Waiting for Lucky1 to clarify the data collection and needs.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
Calfdemon. Great !!

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
Lucky1, as I am waiting for the data cable to arrive, which Windows OS will be best to do data collection? I could load the program  onto my laptop. Thanks! Tim

Offline Terps

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Terps Is working their way up.Terps Is working their way up.Terps Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Hi guys, sorry for not posting sooner, but I am on vacation and won’t be back until next week.  I would be happy to contribute to the data collection and have all of the software except for the three games calfdemon spoke of. Batter’s up, and the two monopoly games.
I would like to know a little more information from Lucky1, so please PM me when you have some time. Sounds very interesting.
Thanks
Fusco

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
Lucky1,  if  needed here is my email tkrozleski@hotmail.com .  Data  Cable scheduled to arrive tomorrow 25th.  Fusco , Great to see you found this post.  With you and Calfdemon here to help !!!! And please,  anyone else. Thank You   Tim

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
I received the data analyzer the other day..  Just waiting on Lucky1 to come back and reply.  I will send him a message on Pinside as well.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
OK Great! Thanks!

Offline Calfdemon

• NLG
I reached out to Lucky1 on Pinside and he is on vacation until June 1st.  But will probably pop in here soon enough.  In the meantime, I will see what I can do this week as far as some data collection.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal