New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WMS Model 400 - New to me and not working  (Read 1406 times)

Offline jsawyer

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • jsawyer New User has no influence.
  • NLG
WMS Model 400 - New to me and not working
« on: June 13, 2022, 07:08:07 PM »
I was given a WMS 400 machine that I am trying to see if I can get working.

It has power and looks to be complete.

The first issue that I can see right off is that some of the wires have been disconnected.

I have found the service manual but it does not have a wiring diagram. I know that two of the wires should go to the front door switch but I am not sure which of them.

It looks like switch wires are black with a stripe but what color should the stripe be? There are two sets of black wires that are unhooked.

Offline jsawyer

• NLG
Re: WMS Model 400 - New to me and not working
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 10:07:39 PM »
Ok, did some digging and I found that what I think are the correct wires had been stripped a couple of inches back from the spade connectors and twisted together. That should function as an always closed switch.

I think that there are power issues. The LEDs on the boards are not lit are blinking with a clicking noise coming from the speakers.

I pulled the power supply and it has all of the original caps. It is only 26 years old but it is in the range where caps start going bad.

Are schematics for these machines available? I did not see anything that looked like test points and I am not familiar with the WMS slots. I know their pinball machines from that era inside and out but they do not seem to share much in common.

Offline tollguy316

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • tollguy316 New User barely matters.tollguy316 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 10:58:48 PM »
A few pics would be really helpful at this point. If LED's arr not lit, them a power supply would be my first guess.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 04:40:13 AM »
PS fail is most common problem with most slots and same for this model. The PS module caps and the small caps on the power distribution board may need replaced.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 05:19:27 AM »
Here is a link that may help with recapping the power supply.

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=31351.0

PM me if you need caps or help with repair.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline jsawyer

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 09:56:53 AM »
I am going to have to order caps. They are not the same caps that the WMS pinball and video games use. I have some of them on hand but not all of them.

There is an article about scabbing in an ATX power supply but I do not see why that would be required. I do not see anything on this power supply that is not fixable.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 10:50:24 AM »
Yes they are repairable.  Just getting hard to find so the ATX solution looks good to get a machine running. PM me your address I can ship you the caps you are missing unless you want a bunch of extras for future. I have a lot.
I have the 1 Meg resistors too that seem to fail on most I have repaired. Other parts too if you want to replace almost everything.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline jsawyer

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 11:31:00 AM »
I appreciate the offer. I need to put in a Mouser order anyway. I am getting low on sockets and a few other components.

It looks like there were schematics in the file section of the old .net site. Did they make it to the file section of this site?

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »
Yes they are in the file system. I have collected a few too. I will see about uploading them.

If you become a contributing member you will have access to the downloads and classifieds posting.
Tony

Offline jsawyer

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 11:53:22 AM »
I had read that. I was just trying to figure out which sites are worth contributing to.

I have posted to a few and this one is the only one that seems to be active.

Offline jsawyer

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 12:06:53 PM »
I see the service manual but it does not include schematics.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 12:38:57 PM »
Here is the PS  link in the file system

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=downloads;cat=21

:yes:
Tony

Offline jsawyer

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 02:00:37 PM »
Thank you. I was trying to find a full schematic for the machine. I had not thought to look for just the power supply.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal